Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Garwood Mansion » Garwood Archives » Archive through January 18, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rocketwhit
Username: Rocketwhit

Post Number: 87
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is I Rocketwhit

Hello Gar-Freaky-Deaky friends!

how about sliding up close to 3000 hits i am blown away.

But my origanal search for my GarWood friends still haven't heard anything. Anyone know these names?

Ken or Sharon Wilkoes { brother & sister ]
Debbie Brush, Jack Roby, Bill Rude

If you can dig up any info on these people I'll make a special toast or three at the greatist reunion since acid and foosball.

I havent got to read much as of late sorry, But I do have some Wrestling names from that same era.

I saw all those other names live at cobo saw the shiek throw fire the first time saw BoBO head butt Shiek saw shiek camelclutch BoBo and for both saw them do their patented moves on countless others.

some names,

Pampero Firpo move The Elgarfio

George the Animal Steele move Droole

The Mighty Igor move headbutt

Fly'in Bryan MOve Dropkick

Rick flair Whoooa

Macho man Randy Savich much more

Talk to all soon Rocketwhit.

Rocketwhit

Post Number: 88
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is I Rocketwhit

Hello Gar-Freaky-Deaky friends!

how about sliding up close to 3000 hits i am blown away.

But my origanal search for my GarWood friends still haven't heard anything. Anyone know these names?

Ken or Sharon Wilkoes { brother & sister ]
Debbie Brush, Jack Roby, Bill Rude

If you can dig up any info on these people I'll make a special toast or three at the greatist reunion since acid and foosball.

I havent got to read much as of late sorry, But I do have some Wrestling names from that same era.

I saw all those other names live at cobo saw the shiek throw fire the first time saw BoBO head butt Shiek saw shiek camelclutch BoBo and for both saw them do their patented moves on countless others.

some names,

Pampero Firpo move The Elgarfio

George the Animal Steele move Droole

The Mighty Igor move headbutt

Fly'in Bryan MOve Dropkick

Rick flair Whoooa

Macho man Randy Savich much more

Talk to all soon Rocketwhit.

Rocketwhit

Post Number: 89
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow server error make sure you read one of the three posts lol

by the way have you ever seen my pull shot on a foosball table......

Thats just it you can't see it lol

Andre the giant the biggest mother ever in the day.

Gashl1
Username: Gashl1

Post Number: 80
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Server error.....I thought you had a studdering thing.....Oh well........Hey gang, I could use some help on a little project for the Re-union; I'd like a list of all the for real Rock-N-Rollers who visited the GW....wether they played or just showed up. But they have to have actually been on the property, Individually, part of a band, the whole band, what ever....Nothing big being planned just a lil diddy.....I know there are a few folks that showed up late at night but just visited or something like that....So any help will be greatly appreciated....along with any fact around their visit.....So shake up the "ol grey matter" and see what we can come up with....maybe the person with the most complete list gets to go Ice Fishing with OG.....could be a new T-shirt...(I went Icefishing With Old Guy)

Rickbeall
Username: Rickbeall

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A wet T-shirt contest for the ice fishing hole?

Say Gash, are you writing a song about the rock luminaries that showed up at Gar Wood? Cool topic! Maybe there will be a handful of new songs at the reunion.

Det313grrl
Username: Det313grrl

Post Number: 445
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Annie, great to have you on board.

Rockinrona
Username: Rockinrona

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good you got on Annie, back with your gw friends, It's really not just a house it's the people in it.Any of you folks still snow sking,I learned at Mt Holley and got up to Boyne mt and Nubs knob!rr

Rockinrona

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got to tell you I really think Soupy Sales, looks a little like Mel Gibon. rr

Rockinrona

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

soupy sales looks like Mel Gibson,ya?or more like Charles Bronson,heck how many golfers in the group? rr

Stillrockin
Username: Stillrockin

Post Number: 322
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 7:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think BushMark looks like George Clooney.

Make that a cross between George clooney and amy Winehouse.

(Message edited by stillrockin on January 18, 2009)

Ruth
Username: Ruth

Post Number: 112
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hmmmm wrestlers............
I went out with Jake the Snake Roberts once...picked him up in a bar in LA.....couldn't help myself....had to see his snake.....

Candy_man
Username: Candy_man

Post Number: 109
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good Morning Ya'll. Yah Ruth, Cobra's are cool if not real hungry.:^) We got an e-mail from Ed Keusch' wife Ava, he's not married to Maggie anymore ,Sug.  Ava said that Ed is really excited about the reunion and even there daughter Jennifer would like to come from Atlanta. We gave Ava your e-mail Ruth, so you should be hearing from her, she said that Ed isn't computer friendly. Det313grl, cool bus. The biggest that we had was an aluminum bodied delivery van from Sears or Monkey Wards. Never really got it converted to camper, too much mechanical problem. All that I really remember about it that it was green. Gashl1, why don't you start the list and maybe we could all add to it. Like a collaboration of sorts. Like you always say."Do good things". Old guy, We used to ice fish at St.Clair Shores.,before I became vegetarian. Brought home tubs full of Perch, Walleye and Bluegill. Used to be able to drive your vehicle out on the ice. Did you see the pic of that prehistoric Sturgeon that Rona was distributing. If not you should ask her to send it to you.Looks to be about 12' in length.Peace.

Sug
Username: Sug

Post Number: 109
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed have a line on Fergie, Charlie or Troy. Candy what about grass carpe could be a vegie. Gash headed your way some time this week . Will you be home.

Stillrockin
Username: Stillrockin

Post Number: 323
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gus your going the wrong way

Margie
Username: Margie

Post Number: 264
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Finally made contact with Dave and Roz !!!! And Arlee

Wonderful,Wonderful !!
I sent Dave & Roz and Arlee the pic of the girls at the piano and called it precious...That is what Roz is referring to at the beginning of her awesome letter to us !
Hi, I loved 'Precious'. Thanks for sending it. When and where is the reunion to be held.

I went on line and tried to add stuff to that but they wouldn't let me. This is what I wrote:

Hello from David & Roselyn.

We were musicians in Detroit and we moved to the Garwood the winter of '71. We lived there with our kids, Arlee and Adrian and our friend, Shawn, until we went on tour to Montreal in the fall.

There were a lot of pictures of all of us printed in the Detroit Free Press. Most were taken by John Collier. Some of you who still live in Detroit can probably buy them from the Free Press and post them. I'm afraid our copies got lost in Katrina.

Is there really going to be a reunion this summer?

We would come for sure!! Is anyone from the band Stone Front still around? That guy with the long blond hair is Larry, the leader of the band.

Does anyone have pictures of the night Eric Clapton played at the Garwood?

Where is Petey? Barbara? Lily? Lee? I know Shawn is living in Rosewood now. Is Fergie still alive? He is the guy whose father had shot him. We all lived there that winter, spring & summer.

We spoke with Gar Wood. He was going to come back to Detroit to accept an award and he promised to drive to the mansion for a visit, but he died the day before he was to return.

The story about Gar Wood is that he invented the hydraulic lift for dump trucks. He invited the major bankers to a luncheon meeting to get backing for his invention. He served the meal on the back of a truck. The bankers were uneasy, but the table was set with a white linen table cloth and silver wear so they climbed aboard for lunch.

Gar Wood dumped them all and got the money for the manufacture of the hydraulics. Isn't it neat that one smart guy got the money for his inventions?

He also invented the racing boat with the rooster tails his son was killed in; which is when he left Detroit to live in his identical mansion in Florida where he died. The engine he invented for the racing boats was used on the PT boat during WWWII.

I heard that he designed both Garwood Mansions himself

At one time there were seven Gemini living at the Garwood. Most of them were Viet vets. Crazy!!

I heard the mansion was NOT hit by lightning but was burned by the neighbors the day before the river fire boats came out. I don’t know if that is true, but I DO know they hated having a hippie commune on the island.

Of course when the Outlaws made their destructive run on the Garwood in ’72 they had a good excuse! There are lots of pics of the Outlaws in the Free Press Magazine also taken by John Collier. He should be invited to any reunion and the pics will probably wind up in the Free Press again if he is still working there.

I've attached a current photo of David and Roselyn and one of Arlee.

You can reach us at daro@ecologyfund.net.

Love ya,

R

Margie

Post Number: 265
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beautiful Arlee........

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3352
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Did you see the pic of that prehistoric Sturgeon that Rona was distributing. If not you should ask her to send it to you.Looks to be about 12' in length.

Not to thread jack, but can that that picture be posted here ? I'm on other Forums on the existence of abnormally large Sturgeon and Indian folklore about them, on the Great Lakes.

Thanks

Margie

Post Number: 267
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YES LADIES AND GENTLEMEN AFTER TWO HOURS I FINALLY GOT THIS BEAUTIFUL PIC TO FIT ON THE PICKY FORUM !!!! I'm like a doggone pitbull with this stuff

Isle_of_fun
Username: Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 174
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Margie, thanks for posting the tough photo's, nice to see that they are so happy and what a nice letter.

Det313grrl
Username: Det313grrl

Post Number: 443
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NOW, THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN' ABOUT! Great job, Margie, you're on a roll.

Isle_of_fun
Username: Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 175
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These guys couldn't be Canadian..........Only 4 Dozen Beers ??

This Sturgeon was caught on the Fraser River just above the Mission bridge.. It weighed out at over 1000lbs and measured out at 11'1". It was 56" around the girth. It took over 6 and a half hours and 4 dozen beers and 4 guys taking turns reeling.

Or was it????
Is this the fish Rona posted? Yeah Rona

Gashl1
Username: Gashl1

Post Number: 81
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Sug.........Come on down, or over, what ever.....Just let me know when you plan on making your trip.....I'll be leaving @6th of Feb. What day will you be here.....About what time, you are more that welcome to stay here if you want....should I meet you in Nashville or are you planning to make you way to Columbia.....guess I'm rambling....anyway just let me know when you plan on being in the area.....looking forward to seeing ya'll........Great pic of a big fish....My guess is that Stnfrnt is convulsing and studdering incoherantly about now, after seeing that fish.....totally amazing......

Bigb23

Post Number: 3356
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, That is in Idaho/Washington state, right ?

Fishermen - you gotta love em'.

Old_guy
Username: Old_guy

Post Number: 415
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a note about sizing photos. I have several web sites that have huge photos and are pretty heavy on graphics. It's fine if you have high speed internet. But if you don't, it can take 7-15 minutes just to load our home page. So a lot of people don't even try to log on. There are a large number of people that don't have high speed connections. So a site of this size would run pretty slow if the photos were larger. I just thought I'd throw that in here in defense of this great site.

Hey Hoover, I hear that a lot. People say I look like Amy Winehouse on steroids.

Great to see new people showing up.

That story about Fergie reminded me of something. That night at the Melody at one of the concerts where I passed out in a back room. When the sun came up, Fergie and I were the only ones there. When we were leaving we ran into the guy that ran the place. He started telling us about how many times he'd been shot, leaving the place with a money bag late at night. He said people would work in teams of 3. One on a roof across the street would shoot him in the leg and when he dropped, another person would run up and grab his money bag. A third would pull up in a vehicle and they were gone. So I'm standing there with my head pounding, and Fergie and this guy start comparing gun shot wounds on their arms and legs. Took about ten minutes.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3357
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Old_guy, I try to do my my best on this forum with affordable, but yet, meager internet tools.
Please, all, keep some of our population in mind when starting websites and posting pictures.

Margie

Post Number: 269
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I must say that the Detroit yes forum is the biggest blessing ever ! I have the upmost respect for all that has been done to put this site together and appreciate being able to post here very much. Thank you fom the bottom of my heart .
Sometimes pictures are sent to me in a different format and I have to change them to jepeg before I can do anything with them, I quit high school on my sixteenth birthday and started Beauty School the next day, I can do some mean Rock and Roll hair, Great cutz and color but when It comes to editing some things Im learning as I go.
However I must say, and I think I speak for myself, Larry,and some others ...we are gettin pretty dang good at this !Love you all xoxoxo

Margie

Post Number: 270
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey OG I do have high speed I want to see these several websites with huge photos and heavy graphics ! thankfulheart10@yahoo.com

Bigb23

Post Number: 3358
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeez - Margie - quit with the .gifs :-)

And, of course, party every day.

Margie

Post Number: 271
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok ok I hear ya...I'll stop for a little while...it's just so much fun !

Sug
Username: Sug

Post Number: 110
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gash hope to leave out Wed if I get my work done I have a lot to do before then. I'll keep you posted on my progress. Margie speak for yourself . I'm still chicken peckin and
delete about as much as I write. HECK of a way to comunicate!
PIC. thing still a mystery. Friend in AZ called today can't wait till I get there so I can help with his new computer, HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM HERE.