Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through January 17, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 635
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At 23, we'd be sunbathing here.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5539
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Low of 6? That's the high here.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2647
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It a balmy -8° actual.

Jcole

Post Number: 5540
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just tossed a cup of water into the air. Very cool. Literally

Mkap
Username: Mkap

Post Number: 51
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC - Do you know how many starving... Ah! I mean thirsty children there are in China?
Seriously, that is some trick. I have tried that and not had any success in getting it to turn to snow instantly, but have seen it done on TV.

-9 as I type.

Mkap

Post Number: 52
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z - Just noticed your time stamp. WoW, what did it get down to over night?

Zitro

Post Number: 2648
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mkap: You have to make sure the water is close to boiling for it to work.

I think it's the coldest right now. -16°. It supposed to reach a high of 13° so I think the worst if over form now.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1782
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank God for natural gas.

Eastburn

Post Number: 636
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wish we had it. I'm spending $800 a month for propane.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1783
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At those prices, it might be worth it for you to drill down and get your own.

Jcole

Post Number: 5543
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have electric and it was $300 for December. I'm also on a fixed rate since the seventies because I agreed to a higher rate during the day for the water heater. All laundry gets done at night after 7 and before 7am.

Eastburn

Post Number: 637
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember when electric was the most expensive.

Part of the problem is that the propane companies committed to their winter supplies when oil prices were still pretty high. We're paying about $2 a gallon. In this weather, we run through about 1 tank a month.

One of the joys of living in most rural areas is the lack of availability of natural gas. At least we have city water here. They just brought it in from Harbor Beach as we were building the house. I'd been on well/septic for over 25 years before coming up here. Still on septic but that's no big deal. Even have Comcast internet!

Jcole

Post Number: 5545
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You'un's are like city folk now, ain't ya?

Eastburn

Post Number: 639
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yea. Now if we just didn't have to drive all the way to Bad Axe (25 miles) to shop.

Jcole

Post Number: 5547
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Bad Axe has some nice shopping, and at least one really good Chinese restaurant. Look at it as a cultural experience

Eastburn

Post Number: 640
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big city, bright lights. Or is it the other way around?

Jcole

Post Number: 5549
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, with Bad Axe, it's more like Small town, Dim street light, but it's all good.

Mkap

Post Number: 53
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trust me, the rural experience is better than the driving in the "Big City". You can travel the 25 in less time than it takes us to drive 5 at times. Bumper to bumper to bumper, traffic light after traffic light. Middle finger swords cutting the air... EB you are in the perfect place. Wish I could join you, but I'm stuck in this stop and go, hurry-up and wait world.

(Message edited by mkap on January 16, 2009)

Zitro

Post Number: 2649
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The old joke in Iowa is a traffic jam is a four way stop sign.

Jcole

Post Number: 5550
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mkap, not to argue with you, but Detroit doesn't have traffic jams. Not when you compare it to most other large cities. My daughter lives near Denver, and rush hour there is insane. Chicago is gridlock most hours of the day, and Boston is just unthinkable.
Detroit has an excellent freeway and road system, and we don't have anyone working anymore, so it's pretty good sailing. I will say it's worse in the suburbs than Detroit proper, but it's still much better than most. I live out Van Dyke and 40 Mile way, and Van Dyke does back up, largely because it's one lane in each direction. Traffic in Almont is actually worse than I've seen it in Detroit.

Zitro

Post Number: 2650
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about the 696/275 corridor, doesn't that still get backed up pretty good? I assume a few people are still working that area

Zitro

Post Number: 2651
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chicago is the pits for traffic especially in the summer. I can't imagine how bad it would be if they didn't have the L.

Mkap

Post Number: 54
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC - No arguement here, I'm just in a Wah-wah! mood I guess. Just tired of dodging multi colored bullets that resemble cars, and having visual daggers and swords thrown because I'm old, I mean I'm slow, I mean I'm cautious.
There!, all done complaining today, I promise. Ahhh! I feel better now.
I do realize it's always worse somewhere else.

Jcole

Post Number: 5551
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, you're right, that area still gets bad. I think it has the most accidents of any area around, too. I used to work right near that connector, and it's a mess. I guess I was concentrating more on areas closer to the East side.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 622
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All is good in Bad Axe - what's not to like with a city that has a Normans? --and the main Murphy's Bakery?

Eastburn

Post Number: 641
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We now have a Peebles Dept. Store. That's right,Peebles. Who says we ain't got big names. There's a lot to be said for living here: good people, low housing costs, unbelieveable manure smell from the 10,000 head CAFOs.

Mkap

Post Number: 56
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB - Can't forget about the wind farms popping up in the area. Another up and coming field.
I pass one near Pigeon when I visit my parents near Caseville. Those things are HUGE! I understand they can rotate at 170 MPH under the right conditions. Amazing.

Eastburn

Post Number: 642
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They're interesting to watch. They don't seem to be turning that fast until your eye starts following the tip of a blade. I've heard this is one of the winiest places in the country, I believe it.

Do your parents belong to the Eagles in Caseville? Most year-round folks do.

Mkap

Post Number: 57
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes they do. Play cards there two three times a week. You?

Jcole

Post Number: 5560
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I've heard this is one of the winiest places in the country, I believe it.

Are you intimating that the people in your area drink a lot or are big complainers?