Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Metropolitan Building « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 302
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metropolitan Building is one of the most interesting buildings downtown in my opinion. I've found very little information about it.

What's its story?

www.DetroitArmy.com

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4021
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Larson Realty Group still has this one on their website under "Broadway District".

quote:

Metropolitan Building - 33 John R Street – Built in 1925, this 14-story 122,000 square foot building is currently vacant. The building was formerly an office building. Larson Realty Group proposes to convert it to multi-family affordable housing. The project would utilize a variety of tax incentive packages including Low Income Housing Credits, Historic Tax Credits and HUD financing.

I find this very funny that they still have this on their website. What has Larson really done, development-wise since the Madison renovation?

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 667
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know it was a jeweler's building back when it was built in the mid-1920s, and evidence of this remains today. It was emptied in the 1970s or 80s. I do not know who owns the building.

The building is not well suited for adaptation into residences or modern offices. Among other problems, the building's small, triangular footprint does not allow for much floorspace; the ceilings are low by today's standards and would not fit modern ducts and wiring; and the building is surrounded by buildings of equal or taller height, preventing sunlight from entering the building during the day.

More bad news: whoever owns it apparently does not keep an eye on it, for it has suffered significant damage since its vacancy, including a leaky roof and floors that are open to the elements due to broken and missing windows. It is not uncommon for water to be covering the entire floor as high as 10-12 stories up. Its once-ornate lobby is nearly dismantled, and many of its key architectural features have been stolen. The building needs to be better sealed from trespassers and the elements before more damage is incurred.

Good news: the building is exceptionally beautiful, making it attractive to developers; the building's mezzanine level is still in good condition and could be re-converted into retail or officespace; the area is 'hot' and could see more development soon. And once you get up above the tenth floor or so, the views are some of the most spectacular in the city.

(Message edited by gsgeorge on January 21, 2009)

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 809
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It used to be one of the main jewelry industry manufacturing and retailing centers in the Detroit metro area and the midwest, along with the Whitney and the Michigan. The Metropolitan was the subject of a huge clean-up a few years ago when it flooded. I'm guessing the only way they could get all the water out of it was to clean the toxic waste at the same time.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1627
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is owned by the City of Detroit. The other bad news about it is that its a contaminated site because of its watch repair days.

Gsgeorge

Post Number: 668
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1kielsondrive, the basement is still significantly flooded, I'd say with 3-5 feet of water.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 719
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

have you seen this yet?
The historical photos are pretty neat.
My friend lived right next door for some time. Everything above sounds right from what I have read about it before. Very neat building.

It was built during a generation when Detroit was constructing some of the most beautiful architecture in the city.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 811
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Rhymes and Gsgeorge, I was under the impression that the Metropolitan was cleaned of contamination and no longer flooded. I was in it many times over the years as an active, business filled, building and then later, a few times, after it closed.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4023
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was also uner the impression that the mercury had been removed, at least. BTW, more specifically, is it owned by the City or the DEGC?

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 588
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 6:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My husband and I bought our wedding bands from a jeweler in the Metropolitan Bldg. $100 dollars for both which was cheap even at that time.

Other wholesalers were in the building too. They fled the city and created MAGS, Michigan Association of Giftware Salesmen. They regrouped at a small failed mall in Northville with small showrooms and seemingly prospered for years although each independant rep screamed about high rents. Within the past couple of years, the owner evicted everyone to develop that property for other purposes. Anyone know where or if new showrooms for wholesalers have emerged?

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2901
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 6:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I was also uner the impression that the mercury had been removed,"

the contamination is radiological, and comes from phosphorescent watch faces.

Big_baby_jebus
Username: Big_baby_jebus

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This site has a bunch of pictures of the inside.

http://onlyndetroit.com/html/d ecay/ond-0005diamondsandcuffs. htm

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 918
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it was radium contamination on the fifth floor. it has been completely remediated now for at least 10 years. a few years ago the rest of the building was completely cleaned out of debris. not sure about the status of the basement. [more later.]

Rsa

Post Number: 920
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

[continued from above/occured after what i mentioned above.] my timeline is a little foggy here, but all of this has happened within the last 6 years. eric larson had an option on the building which he let expire (i believe). the actual entity that owns the building is the DDA (downtown development authority). around that time the building was stabilized: primarily the exterior masonry, but windows were also covered over. i want to say 2005 (it was before superbowl). since then there has been no activity on it.

the reasons listed above are it's main detriment: triangular shape, small footprint, small amount of window space that does not face an alleyway/back of another building, and shorter ceiling height. this doesn't necessarily preclude the building's renovation, it just make it extremely difficult to make it cost effective and finding a tenant to utilize the space.

IMO, what could make it viable is to construct a new building on the vacant lot adjacent to this and the wurlitzer building. this new building, with a renovated wurlitzer, would make more of a complex of buildings. you could eliminate a lot of circulation problems and fully utilize the little amount of south facing windows. however, the lot is owned by another person and the wurlitzer is owner by someone asking $2.2 million. so it's doubtful my scheme would happen.

Gsgeorge

Post Number: 669
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1kielsondrive, I was just there last week and the basement has at least three feet of frozen water in it. Not sure about the contamination, there are no 'artifacts' left behind such as the watch faces mentioned above. Some of the temporary interior walls are rotting due to water damage and may contain asbestos.

Rsa, great idea on combining the Wurlitzer, Metro, and another new building of similar height on the vacant corner lot. This would seem like the best use for this area but I can see a number of problems arising, particularly the disputes between different owners and the architectural challenges involved. The floors of the Wurlitzer most likely do not "match up" exactly with the floors of the Metro due to different ceiling heights, mezzanine levels, etc, and it may be impossible to combine the buildings.

Rsa

Post Number: 922
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the contamination came from storing, applying, and spilling the radium that was once applied to watch faces to make them glow in the dark. the remediation that occured was very thourough; it included removing all materials and adjacent materials that this may have come into contact with. this included grinding off portions of the floor slab where radium was found. these areas were also isolated from the building with plastic so the removal work did not spread the material throughout the building.

thanks gsgeorge. i think the main hurdle would be property acquisition. the architectural challenges could be resolved in numerous ways in the design of the new building (ramping, two sided elevators stopping on different levels, etc.). this can all be done cost effectively. a good example is the new building they constructed to resolve different floor levels in the merchant's row development.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4027
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rsa, is the DDA looking to sell the building, as far as you know, or are have they put out an RFP on it?

Thanks for all of the detailed info, BTW.

Gsgeorge

Post Number: 670
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a closeup view of the detailing on the rearmost part of the cupola.

metro-roof-detail-gsgeorge

Gsgeorge

Post Number: 671
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is another view of the top of the building at night, from across the CBD. The building in the very near foreground is the Griswold Building.

metro-top-night-gsgeorge

Fho
Username: Fho

Post Number: 53
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While I admire the building's details it has always looked a little awkward to me. It seems to really want to be symmetrical, but the fact that one end is broader and turns away at a strange angle creates an imbalance. I certainly don't believe buildings need to be symmetrical, but its massing may have been more successful if it worked with its odd site instead of trying to ignore it. Of course I still wish it could be redeveloped.

Rsa

Post Number: 925
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lmich; i don't think the DDA is actively seeking a sale or redevelopment plan for the metropolitan. i think their focus is elsewhere at the moment, due primarily to the high profile nature of some projects (eg. lafayette, statler site, etc.). also, one of the main proponents of the building has gone onto another job, so it doesn't get as much attention anymore.

however, if a developer was to approach the DDA with a viable development plan, i'm sure they'd consider selling the building. most likely with deadlines to meet in order to avoid speculation. i don't see that happening in the near future, so i think it'll just sit for the time being, until focus gets shifted to that area or someone comes up with the money and a feasable plan for it (probably when the economy improves).

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 1639
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know the building was being actively marketed When a certain ex forumer used to worked for the DDA.(he's long moved on from Detroit and Dyes)

The developer that did the Kales took a long look at it. Even in that much better market he couldn't figure out a way to bring the building back. Mostly due structural issues and a problem caused by the steel framed windows used in the building.

Rsa

Post Number: 926
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh yeah, forgot about the steel windows. that's another detriment to redevelopment. thanks ndavies. i think you and i are talking about the same former forumer :-)

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 696
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the deal with steel windows? I don't recall ever hearing this discussed.

Rsa

Post Number: 927
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

speak of the devil; here's what the person i mentioned has to say about the problems with the windows:
quote:

Most windows, whether steel or wood, are simply frames that are set into an opening and anchored somehow. To replace, you remove the window frame, do any minor repairs to the opening and insert & anchor new frame.

The Metroplitan windows are very different. The frames have a 6"- 8" flange that extends out from the frame. The windows were installed into the openings when the interior courses of bricks were completed and then the exterior courses were installed, effectively laminating the flange between the interior and exterior courses.

Two problems
1. Oxidation has caused the pig steel on the flanges to expand and cause delamination of the exterior course from the interior course.
2. The flanges have barbs that grasped the mortar to keep it from slipping around.

One solution
Remove 12"-24" of brick around each window frame, pop it out, reinstall the brick. On nearly 1,000 windows. The exterior work alone makes the project highly infeasible. Add in the very low floor deck to floor deck heights (makes HVACA a real pain) and the building is likely doomed.

i'd have to see a cut sheet to know specifically how this all interacts, but there maybe a way to build new windows within the existing frames and add new anchors to secure the facia brick to the inside brick or the structure itself. i'll ask and find out. however, i'm sure this was thought of and discounted.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4031
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, you all really don't have to speak of the forumer as the "former who's name must never be spoken." I think we all know who it was.

Rsa, I understand the DDA focusing on other projects, but you mean to tell me that they haven't even prepared a RFP for it? Really, would it take all that much time to prepare an RFP for each of the larger structures the DDA owns? Perhaps, there staff size is much smaller than I'm thinking it is.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6059
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... ah yes good ole Skulker...

He must have been an OK guy in person, since the old timers on this forum who knew him will defend him to no end... but sadly he was totally lacking in nettiquette, and went "ad hominem" on anyone on this forum who even remotely disagreed with him. No one could call someone as being from "dumbfuckistan" quite like he could... :-(

But he was a good source of Detroit development information though...

Gsgeorge

Post Number: 673
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just found out from a friend that the Metropolitan is in fact privately owned by a local businessman and NOT the CoD or the DDA. He has owned it since the early 1990s. A lack of funds has prevented any redevelopment from taking place. But the good news is that the owner is a preservationist at heart and has the best interests of the city and the building in mind. He is hoping to find a use for it soon now that things are looking up in the downtown area.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 443
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love discussions like the one above regarding the windows, they are what make the forum great.

I hope at some point a solution is found, that allows a developer to renovate the building.

Metropolitan Building is a gem, and it should should not be lost.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 745
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Per the Wayne County Treasurer's office, the tax payer of 33 John R is the city of Detroit-DDA. This deems it an endangered specie. And like the Lafayette building which is on an oddly shaped parcel like the Metropolitan, once it is demolished, it is likly that nothing will be developed on the site due to the oddly shaped parcel/lack of parking/etc..

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4032
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gsgeorge, you sure you're not talking about the Wurlitzer?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.