Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Garwood Mansion » Garwood Archives » Archive through January 23, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Stillrockin
Username: Stillrockin

Post Number: 275
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not saying a word.

Stillrockin
Username: Stillrockin

Post Number: 276
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Tom

Det313grrl
Username: Det313grrl

Post Number: 450
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where this was taken? Any quesses?

Graynoodle
Username: Graynoodle

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Mark. Any word on John Malcolm? Have you seen Joe "I'll waterski where ever I want" Robinson yet?

Sug
Username: Sug

Post Number: 119
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I all so pass out 10,000 business cards each and every year with my phone # on them Dude!

Sug

Post Number: 120
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

post 239 Some of my best memories at the garwood took place in the shower . We had that one party in larry's shower must have been 15 or 20 people you may have been one of them Margie, a small gathering and a good time was had by all, good clean fun.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 862
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy B,day Ruth.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 863
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy B,day Ruth.

Stnfrnt
Username: Stnfrnt

Post Number: 318
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 3:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's my boss! he knows stnfrnt.! i'm gonna get fired!!

HOOVER! Is that you?

Margie
Username: Margie

Post Number: 299
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 6:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IT IS SO IMPORTANT THAT WE STIMULATE THAT GREY MATTER ! LOOK, I KNOW THAT EVERYONE IS SUPER BUSY.. IN A WAY I BELIEVE THAT THIS IS PART OF THE FIRE THAT WILL GET JOHNS BOOK PUBLISHED! IT'S BEEN A LONG TIME AND PEOPLE GET DISCOURAGED THRU THE YEARS...HECK WITH THAT NOISE...THERE IS A DEFINITE PURPOSE, FOR EVERY FOG MEMBER, THAT THIS REUNION IS HAPPENING...WE ARE NOT GOING TO LOSE MOMENTEM NOW ...WE USED TO BE REBELS WITH A CAUSE...BUT NOW WE ARE REBELS WITH AN EVEN BIGGER CAUSE..NONE THE LEAST OF WHICH ARE GETTING JOHNS BOOK INTO AS MANY HANDS AS POSSIBLE AND STONEFRONTS MUSIC IT'S DUE...FRIENDS HELP FRIENDS
Old_guy
Username: Old_guy

Post Number: 5

Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 6:16 pm:
Hey, I thought this thing went dead. One thing I can tell you is that John Collier, took hundreds, if not thousands of beautiful black & white photos during those years at Garwood. He pretty much documented everything for a few years. I've never been able to find him through google though. Unfortunately, one of the most famous American photographers is also named John Collier. The MySpace Garwood page had some info about a book that is supposed to be released, which includes photos by him, but I haven't heard anything else about it. If he ever surfaces, or his photography from that era does, it would pretty much tell the whole story. What really got me interested in this in the first place, was finding that one Free Press article that was written many years ago. It misrepresented the history of that time so badly that it drove me up the wall. I am also surprised that out of all the people that lived there during that time period, there aren't more people with input. It's almost as though everyone disappeared after they left. By the way, I don't remember any hills on the island.
I do remember that we used to have to take about $500 out of the money we collected at the party every week to pay somebody in the city so we wouldn't get shut down. A few of us questioned where it was really going one week. The guys that took care of paying it out said, fine, we won't pay it this week. That Saturday night I remember standing out on the front lawn during the party. Suddenly there was a chopper hovering over the house. They turned on their floodlights and it was just like daylight. Then, 3 or 4 squad cars drove down the driveway, a couple of cops got out, walked in and said shut off the music, the party's over. Then they left. Naturally, about 600 people in the ballroom thought it was a raid, dropped all the drugs they had in their pockets and headed out the door. Within about 20 minutes the whole place was empty with the exception of a few of us. We looked around the ballroom and there were more bags of different kinds of drugs than I've ever seen. We actually swept them up with push brooms into a pile. After that, we believed these guys and everything returned to normal. Naturally we disposed of everything in a proper manner.

Margie

Post Number: 300
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 6:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rocketwhit
Username: Rocketwhit

Post Number: 31

Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 5:05 pm:
bulletmagnet hope you are still looking for pics of the mansion hope intrest in the mansion talks doesn't die rocketwhit

Margie

Post Number: 302
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 6:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SIX MONTHS AGO
Det313grrl

Post Number: 316

Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 6:00 pm:
1kielsondrive, I have been reading the posts, with fond memories. I used stay in the attic apartment/cubby hole, above the space that David and Roselyn were living in, you got there thru their closet. They had one of the two spaces across from the master bedroom, off the ballroom, with the bay windows. I was sharing the space with a chick named Linda, sorry I don't recall her last nane. I remember quite a few people, I don't remember names well. Eugene, Victor, Gus, Stonefront has always been a favorite all these years.

Margie

Post Number: 303
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 6:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ruth
Username: Ruth
RUTHIES FIRST POST, ALTHOUGH SHE HAD THE REUNION IN HER MIND A FEW YEARS BEFORE THIS...

Post Number: 1

well hello to all
Ruth Hoffman here - alive and kickin'
I've just heard from Gary M about this site and am having so much fun reading it. I've been talking with a few people over the years about rounding up the Garwood gang for a reunion. This site gives me hopes for that. Am in Illinois now - at the U of I. Did anyone ever expect that I would be called Dean Hoffman? I have found a few other Garwood friends. Margie Bost is still in Detroit. She sometimes could be coaxed into singing with Stonefront - bluesy stuff like Stormy Monday. She's still singing. I'll phone her and post her most recent photo if she says it's OK.
I see that some of my photos have been posted by others. The girl in the picture, sitting on the staircase is Cindy Olds. She and I moved to LA together in '71. Haven't seen not heard from her in years. I'd love to connect with her again if anyone knows where she is. Someone mentioned Ronna - last I heard she was living in the Santa Cruz area. I also heard that Gus is a leather worker and works the Renaissance fair circuit.
I also have a lot of Stonefront music on an old reel to reel. Have made it into a CD and play it often. I also have a lot more photos and will load them onto this site when I find them (and find the time) For now this is just a hello to all
- oh and thanks for the compliments on my behind!
My husband says I still got it!
Oh and I still have the copy of the "EARTH" magazine. I can load up all of those photos too - that will take more time - but I'll get to it.
I hope it's OK to post private emails - but if anyone wants to contact me I'm at ruthhoff@illinois.edu.

Margie

Post Number: 304
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 6:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Margie

Post Number: 305
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 6:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GARYS FIRST.........

Gashl1
Username: Gashl1

Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 11:24 am:
Hello to all this i stnfrnts lil bro....He put me hip to this site the other day like most of you im excited.....looking forward to what can evolve from this.....any one up for a reunion of sorts.........

Margie

Post Number: 306
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 6:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FIVE MONTHS AGO

Isle_of_fun
Username: Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 8

Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 9:56 pm:
detgrrl, Ruth ya whoooooooooo lets get this party started. I believe that you have great talents and that you will be able to put a great event together. let me know if I can help.

0ld-Guy responding to this event,
Fast Eddie (#!*?) handed me a couple of pills which turned out to be Thorazine. I remember bits of that night,who all was there I cannot remember.
If it was the same night I remember You were really out of it to the point where i wanted someone to give you some bro mo to expel the Thorazine, yes things seemed escalated.
Tom & Eddie from the room next to the pool were there and we were coming up from the basement and heard some things going on. The shaking was to see if you could be awakened and to make sure you were alright. Things flash in my memory like you trying to snuggle in the phone booth or curl up on a bench. I only new about the Thorazine because it was offered to me also. however I had a brother who was being treated with that medication and I knew or he taught me that bro mo relieved the intensity of it if you took to much. I was not that familiar to everyone at the house to get really bossy, you just did not look comfortable and I only wanted to help.

It would be great to have a reunion, just to laugh at the greatness of all that we shared.

These are some of the names I recall David & Roslyn, Their girls, Secret room Linda & Sharon, Greg , Dallas, Port Huron Tom, Eddie, Peatie, a gal who wanted to become a cosmetic consultant, bushmark, Hoover, Fergie, Dan, Victor & Ann (did they not move to a house on Grand blvd?) .yes to knowing who was in Stonefront but not many conversations with them, my best friend Greg roadied for them
I still am foggy about the William Kunstler filming at the Gar Wood.
my picture is in Earth Magazine.
So much to recall , one day we (I cannot recall who) gathered at Garwood and I took a few people to a little island on of all places Lake Orion, it had a walk over bridge and was called "The isle of Babette" . A fun outing or a new adventure, guess we all needed a little change.
Best to all for now, I will write again when my fingers let loose

Margie

Post Number: 307
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 6:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FOUR MONTHS AGO.........

Robi
Username: Robi

Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 2:23 pm:
Stonefront and GarWood Mansioners

Hi Guys.
I was recently introduced to this Forum via Larry and Ruth - What a cool surprise !
I would like to treat my first post here as formal announcement of the Stonefront/GarWood
projects that I have been working on, (on and off) for some years now (the project has been
with me through various stages of pre-production and development, both in US and in the UK).

Projects have been kept low key/low profile so far, but it’s now time to crank it up and get
things moving for 2009.

I intended setting up a blog through the Stonefront or Garwood sites for a communication
route to all Garwood/Stonefront people, but this forum is doing a great job anyway, great stuff Lowell.

The stories and anecdotes that you have all been posting, have been perfect, spontaneous reflections
of the time, and this forum has stimulated interesting memories and enabled sharing and cross checking
of events, times and names. It would be good to save a lot of information and stories for when we meet
next year, as I want to keep plenty in reserve for the documentary and publications (by maybe re-visiting
some of them during the live interviews).

Meanwhile, I’d like permission to use excerpts of what is posted here for the book and documentary (I will clear
any that are chosen with you before I use them naturally).

I have been in touch with John Collier on publication of his pictures but lost contact with him in June
last year. Detroit Free Press lost contact also, but I notice he has visited here,..so John, if your
out there - Please contact me urgently, we want to publish asap, your involvement is vital!
We want these projects to be comprehensive, definitive, and as interesting as possible - not only for all
GarWoodians and Stonefront fan/enthusiasts, but to many other people out there that would love to
share as much of the ‘GarWood/Stonefront experience’ as we can impart while we are are all here to do so.

Your mailing addresses would be really useful for mailing any info and goodies that will be sent out. You should be among the first to get them as you are very much part of the project and I want you to share that feeling. We are still the same people, time and experiences do alter us somewhat, but GarWood times had a great energy, that’s why they are so great to recall.

The way things are progressing, It would be nice if the Reunion could happen around my intended visit
in Summer 2009, as it would bring a lot of people to one place and save me running all over the state with
the crew. I hope to have at least two weeks for setting up meeting arrangements, and two weeks for filming interviews (depending on how many other states are involved for people that can’t make Detroit).

If any of you guys want to pass me any other info that does not yet need to be publicly
accessible, please email me outside this Forum at : info@riverwyeproductions.com

Meanwhile we will also be posting information, news and progress on the websites.

Great to finally link up with you all... cheers from the other side of the stream.

Margie

Post Number: 308
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stnfrnt
STONE...THREE MONTHS AGO..REGUARDING A SMILY FACE ON HIS POST :-)

Post Number: 39

Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 11:24 pm:
OG..I don't know how that little yellow thing got there. I swear.

Margie

Post Number: 309
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1Keil...THREE MONTHS AGO

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 391

Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 11:07 pm:
Markley, Skuratowicz, Hoover. Can Breeze be far behind? I can just imagine his scratchy, laryngital voice, his s@*t eatin' ear to ear grin and Wile E.Coyote snicker, laugh - "Heeeey,.......whaaattt's happenin'?"

Margie

Post Number: 310
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THIS WAS TOO FUNNY ...I DON'T KNOW WHERE I WENT THAT NITE !!!lol

Old_guy
Username: Old_guy

Post Number: 107

Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 9:09 pm:
Over here Margie

Gashl1

Post Number: 84
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I guess it was bound to happen. So many memories. Some good, some not so good. Then there is a lull in their activity. Some of us are just reflecting, others may be to busy, others haven't even bothered to post anything, but we know you are out there. Lets not abandon this site, I told Ruth a while back that we run the risk of reaching this point, where folks just don't have anything to say, or someone runs off with a topic the rest of us have no interest is commenting on, then when we get to the reunion we will just sit there looking at each other, with nothing to say because we said it all here....But i prefer to think of it as "Winter Doldrums".....I can imagine OG up there in the north country stoking the coals in his computer, then Hoover way down there in Fla. who just got a blast of cold cold air, first time in a long time, so he may be going through some kind of shock to his fragile system Sug has been busy getting ready for his annual trip out of the cold. I've been trying to get up north right in the middle of all the cold (sup wit dat)Gleeman getting ready to head to Hooverville to visit his son, Stnfrnt is way out west trying to figure out his life, an advantage being that when it gets weird, he can jump on a boat and head west, may even run into RknRna on his way......and through all of our reasons for not posting like we did early on, there is Margie, Detgrl, Isle of fun, and a few others, faithfully posting almost every day with something of interest....I guess what I'm trying to say is, it's O.K. the main reason we have slowed down isn't because we lost interest in the reunion, but it's just to damn cold.....My hope is that we remember what we got from our time together back then....we are very lucky to have this opportunity to revisit that part of our lives, not to relive a part of our youth, or to settle old scores, or become what we once were, but to reconnect with those folks that were so important to us at that point in our lives. not many folks get to do that, and to do it at the scale we are planning is amazing.....My best recollection of back then is the music and the love we shared. That can't be ignored and is the root of all my excitement about the reunion.....To actually visit with friends we haven't seen in so many years....I can't count the times I've wondered what some of you were doing today. Were you O.K., did you come through it all with your head held high, or were you even still alive...Sug, do you realize that we've known each other since we were juniors in high school, cruzin 5 points in your old Studebaker, Lark, with rusted out floor boards, Lake Louise, helped you get that guy off the bottom, you can't swim on that bottom very long, That good ol Guard Shack......I guess I've thrown up on all of you enough, if you are still reading this, thank you, I just wanted to let you know how I feel, We may have slowed down, but, I for one, haven't stopped......thx go do good things

Margie

Post Number: 311
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TWO AND A HALF MO. AGO

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 440

Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 11:11 pm:
Ruthie, the jacket is a MUST at our reunion. If you light it up, I'll have an immediate FLASHBACK. I WILL be tripping again - 40 years later. Between your's, Margie's, Stone's, (OG.. you ARE the bait), OG's, (Baitmark), remarks tonight, I'm rolling on the floor. Thanks to everyone

Margie

Post Number: 312
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stnfrnt
I SECOND THAT EMOTION !

Post Number: 51

Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 12:17 am:
DAMN, RUTH!!!!

Gashl1

Post Number: 85
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OG entery way back in Oct:

It would be great to have a reunion, jut to laugh at the greatness we shared

Margie

Post Number: 313
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Gary...

You said it all xoxox

Sug

Post Number: 121
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gash Thanks for the trip down memory lane , we could do another reunion with the five points bunch. It's been a pleasure being your friend for all these years.

Gleeman
Username: Gleeman

Post Number: 57
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes Marg thx for the re-boot..
I've been quiet and busy working some freelance-which is few and far between..
Gash it'll be soon...call when in-meet at my house w' Marg & whoever can make it (watch out for Daisy, the party-color Cocker spaniel bee-attchh) -maybe go to a bar or in A2 if ya wanta see the bar I painted next to the Blind Pig
nice post, Stn, that's Chris Angel in the early years when couldn't afford pants..
meanwhile yes, it's 20 out so I'm doing laps in front of the house on X-country skis, and yes, bangin' on the 12.....
dogs

Det313grrl

Post Number: 455
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Det313grrl

Post Number: 456
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Margie and Gash. I'm feelin' the love!

Det313grrl

Post Number: 457
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gotta heat wave goin' here in the big "D", already 37 degrees! January thaw, might hit 40.

(Message edited by det313grrl on January 23, 2009)