Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through January 21, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mkap
Username: Mkap

Post Number: 58
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes they do. Play cards there two three times a week. You?

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 643
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J, I kept trying to edit & the board wouldn't let me. I knew you'd jump all over it :>) Yea, they drink a lot here (especially at the Eagles) but it's mostly beer.

Mk, we're members there but haven't gone over much lately. My late father-in-law and his (also late) brother were fixtures there. Ask your folks if they knew Teddy (my F-I-L) & Cas.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5562
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was too easy, EB, I had to hit it.

BTW, there is something weird going on with this board. Lots of double posts, can't delete dupes, etc. I, and others, have emailed Lowell.
Beware of crashes.

Mkap

Post Number: 59
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB - Been having trouble myself on this site lately. Seems to be sighting errors often. Thus the double post.

You have to be quick with the edit button around here sometimes.

I will speak with my folks later today and will try to remember to ask. Will let you know.

Mkap

Post Number: 60
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB - Been having trouble myself on this site lately. Seems to be sighting errors often. Thus the double post.

You have to be quick with the edit button around here sometimes.

I will speak with my folks later today and will try to remember to ask. Will let you know.

Mkap

Post Number: 61
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OOPS! There goes one now.

(Message edited by mkap on January 17, 2009)

Eastburn

Post Number: 644
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea, JC was having trouble yesterday. I won't say she caused the current problems but...............

Your folks probably knew the boys. Everyone there did.

Jcole

Post Number: 5564
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm good, EB, but not good enough to create code problems through the ether.

Eastburn

Post Number: 645
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad you took that as a compliment. It was intended as such.

Jcole

Post Number: 5566
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But of course. I know you would NEVER insult me.

Tsomyak
Username: Tsomyak

Post Number: 79
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MKap, are your folks in the same cottage you guys had in high school? I'll never forget visiting there one Labor Day weekend and getting my VW buried up to the axles in the sand. Thankfully, it only took 4 of us to pick it up and walk it out of it's ruts.

Mkap

Post Number: 61
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB - My dad did remember Teddy and Cas. Small world eh?

TS - Yes it is the same place. I remember doing the same thing and my bro getting a real intense case of poison ivy pushing the car out down by the easement to the beach. I mean baaad! Worse than the guy in the song.
Hey! What street did you live on? I guess I have not grasped who you are yet. Some other identifying info would be appreciated.

Eastburn

Post Number: 644
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mk, pretty much everyone who goes to the Eagles knew the boys. Sure do miss them.

I'm sure I'd at least recognise your folks.

Tsomyak

Post Number: 83
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MKap, this is Tom. I grew up on Lansdowne. Your brother Matt and I used to hang out in high school. Matt and I (along with a few others) spent a lot of time over at Dominican under the pretenses of working on the stage crew for the school plays. The last time I remember running into you is one summer night when you joined us when we went to Harpo's. Bizarre as it sounds, I remember that night because that was the night that Elvis died.

Mkap

Post Number: 62
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TS - Elvis is dead? I thought they just said that he left the building.
Did you know Judy, Jeanne, Jonie, and Joe? They lived on landsdowne near Moross? We graduated w/ one of them. You would have graduated w/ another.
Thank you, thank you... thank you very much!

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2624
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice Elvis impersonation Mkap!!

Here's on for the group, we had a surrey similar to the one in this pic, although not nearly as fancy. It had wood seats and cheap tubing. We used to have a blast with this thing in the neighboorhood until Jim Kangas ran it into an elm and bent it all up. I never saw another around. Did anyone else know of any kids who had one?

Tsomyak

Post Number: 84
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you mean Sister Joanie? Yep, she was in my class at SJS. We kept in touch through college, we were at MSU at the same time. I lost touch with her after that, but I seem to recall hearing she followed through with her ambition to answer the call and become a nun. Can anyone verify that?

Jcole

Post Number: 5518
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a cool vehicle, Z, but I can't say I ever remember seeing anyone I knew with one. Kind of has a non-motorized dune buggy look to it.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2625
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trust me this is the souped up version. Our's didn't have headlights,inflated tires, padded cushion seats and fenders.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 357
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

never saw one of those our way. did see some bicycles for 2, and of course gocarts made with crates you found behind the stores on Morang.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1778
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last time we were on a Surrey was at Disney World last year. Those things are a lot of fun. Up hill's a workout though.

Mkap

Post Number: 63
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TS - I know she did not become a nun. I just saw her a couple of years back at a birthday party for her bigger sister. Also met her 20? something daughter. We must be talking about a different family as I can never remember her having the calling, but I remember her saying way back when she was ready for "connubial bliss". We had a good laugh over that one when I saw her.

Tsomyak

Post Number: 85
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Family's last name starts with an H? I'd be surprised if we're not talking about the same family. Could be my memory is totally bonkers (a distinct possibility!). Lord knows it wouldn't be the first time.

Mkap

Post Number: 64
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TS - Yep, begins with an H. Hmmm! Interesting. I never knew that about her, I suppose the next time I see her I shouldn't talk like a drunken sailor. When I talk w/ her sister I will ask about that.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1779
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. One of our girls almost became a nun. I would try my d@#nest not to swear around her, that's for sure.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 621
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everyone must be glued to their TVs and/or Web for the gala activities in DC.

Jcole

Post Number: 5525
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I pretty much am. I hope Ted Kennedy is going to be alright.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 622
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't seen a thing - no tv nearby. I'm sure we'll see many replays!

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 358
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we all watched it with our patients. quite an event. looking forward to seeing this country come out of its problems.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1322
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was visiting in a nursing home yesterday and observed many residents glued to the tv set in a day room. Interesting to say the least.