Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through January 25, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1780
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would seem the activities person should keep better track of the arts and crafts supplies.

Tsomyak
Username: Tsomyak

Post Number: 86
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Were they left with a paste-y complexion?

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 623
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There! That's what I'm talking about --the slackers are back.
Had my first Parish Council Meeting last night. Looks like we'll be bringing back the old Spaghetti dinner! As a welcome back, should I introduce the "who can find the rubber meatball" to unsuspecting visitors?

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1323
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7, TS: LOL Jay Leno is looking for writers for his fall prime time show. You guys should think of applying (no, not glue).

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 624
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree - I see some new employment for those 2

Tsomyak
Username: Tsomyak

Post Number: 87
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boy, sounds interesting, but I don't know if I could adhere to that kind of schedule.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1781
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, but I think I'll just stick with my current occupation.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 360
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

did anyone out there go to Camp DeSales back in the day for summer camp? I remember going between 5th and 6th grade for 2 weeks. It was a Catholic camp I believe in the Irish Hills west of Detroit. Wonder if it is still there.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2626
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laing: Never heard of the place. Would they take you to the Mystery House when you guys were there? Fascinating place for a youngster.

Okay Reginites. What's up with the Segways being used back in the day? Were these motorized and did the nuns use them up and down the hallways?

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5531
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, but only the principal and vice principal used them as a rule. At class change, it was like the parting of the Red Sea if they'd come buzzing down the hall,veil flapping in the breeze, to get to the cafeteria or convent. I never did understand why they got to use them, while some of the nuns that were so ancient had to walk. I think there are yearbook pictures of them posed on them. They also used them as crowd control the few times we took over the cafeteria with stampedes and such.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 625
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Sister Lilios (sp) took a tumble off one going down the ramp - wasn't pretty! She was no bigger than a minute - and though there was the expected chortling - we were worried about her.
On a SJ note - we're having our first - in a while - annual Spaghetti dinner on Saturday, February 14th after the 4:00 Mass in the Parish Center. For those of you in the area - it would be great to see you. I'm going to post on the ST Facebook page too. If we start off on a successful note, we'll have a few dinners each year.

Zitro

Post Number: 2627
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you deliver?

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 626
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd love to - but then we'd never get to see you!

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 627
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I'd get to, because I was making the delivery, but that wouldn't be fair to the others.

Zitro

Post Number: 2628
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see how it works. I guess I'll just have to try and keep my plans for coming back there this summer.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 628
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Absolutely!

Jcole

Post Number: 5534
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We're all looking forward to that. Just make sure it's during corn season so you can make a delivery of your own.

Zitro

Post Number: 2629
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No doubt. That will be my contribution to the group, some fresh picked Iowa Sweet Corn. Doesn't get much better than that.

Jcole

Post Number: 5535
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Especially when paired with some Detroit Coneys and Faygo Root Beer and a handful of Better Mades.

Zitro

Post Number: 2630
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You got it!

Jcole

Post Number: 5538
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, now I need lunch

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 629
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I need some Iowa corn! We'll definitely arrange for a St. Jude Spaghetti dinner around Iowa corn time!

7andkelly

Post Number: 1782
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! A St. Jude party, meeting old friends and new, with personally delivered fresh Iowa sweet corn, spaghetti lunch in the gym, coney's, Faygo, Better Maid, Tiger baseball, and for dinner, restaurants galore to choose from in Greektown, Mexicantown, Hamtramck...I CAN'T WAIT!!!

After typing that, I can't wait for lunch either.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 645
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will you be staying for a month, Z? You'll need to if you are going to cover all the planned activities (meals).

Zitro

Post Number: 2631
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And that's if I don't tell any relatives I'm coming in either, then I'll have to stay another month. I put as many miles on just going back and forth from the west side to the east side once I'm there as I do just getting back and forth from IA to Mich.

Jcole

Post Number: 5545
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, two months worth of good food and our company would be worth it. Not necessarily in that order

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 630
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where were my St. Jude altar boys when I needed them? Guess who was the "Altar Girl" for tonight's 4:00 Mass? Didn't do too bad - and rang the bells appropriately during the consecration - wish you all could have been there. Shouldn't have gone with the platform shoes though - death defying on those steps up and down the altar.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1783
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went to Tiger Fest at COPA today. Very enjoyable. Baseball is back...well almost...pitchers and catchers in a couple of weeks. I'd be Lyon if I said I wasn't hopeful about this season. "Bless you boys"!

Zitro

Post Number: 2633
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a sure sign that spring will be here soon. Sooooo glad we don't have to suffer with Rodney as the closer. IF the pitching can stay healthy, there's no reasone we shouldn't contend.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1324
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG: Does St. Jude still have the 4-bells with the cross handle to ring at the consecration?