Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through January 27, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5554
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG, you've broken through the glass ceiling. A female Altar Boy, I mean Girl, no, I mean Person. A female Altar Person, at last!! You've struck a blow for women everywhere. What next?? I don't think it will be female priests, at least until hell freezes over, but maybe a Choir Woman?

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 631
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR - yes 4 bells, cross handle and I DID ring them at the appropriate times - 3x each ring. We already have a choir with both men and woman and personally, I am not an advocate of female priests - so for me, "it's a wrap". Thankfully, this was one job duty that didn't have an age limit!

Jcole

Post Number: 5555
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, when you've reached the pinnacle, you needn't to more.

Fvfromd
Username: Fvfromd

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laing: I remember Camp DeSales, I went there for two weeks one summer. Archery, horseback riding, target practice,etc., had a blast.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 361
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fvfromd, what year did you go to Camp DeSales? Yes, the place was great. Saw online that it is now a place for retreats. What year did you graduate St. Jude?

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2636
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MKap: Did you see the article regarding the Tigers visiting Engine 23 honoring FF Harris who perished? There's a couple pics of Lt. Steve Kirschner. He played WE ball on the Clippers with Ron D. and I. Servite 74 grad.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/gallery?Site=C4&Date=2009 0123&Category=SPORTS02&ArtNo=9 01230806&Ref=PH&Profile=1048&P arams=Itemnr=3

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 647
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw my friends from Thompson Glass this weekend. For those who haven't read all 9000 or so posts here, this is the company that installed all the stained glass when St. Jude's "new" church was built. Dirk says he & John still maintain & repair their grandfather's work. The glass itself was made in Europe. Dirk still has the original drawings in his archives. I've asked him to dig them out & photograph some. I'll then post them on the SJ Facebook page. He still has their original sample piece of stained glass used in the bid process for St. Jude on display in his studio in Howell.

Their company does a lot of the high-end stained glass work in MI. Unlike in grandpa's day, they also do the artwork now. They've done the restoration of the glass at Christ Church Cranbrook, among many others.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 632
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if they've had to come out to do any repairs at St. Judes? I am amazed and see something new in the stained glass every time I walk in. There were many people taking pictures of the stained glass after the 4:00 Mass. I hope we will always be blessed to be able to walk into St. Jude's and admire the glass for many, many years to come.

Zitro

Post Number: 2638
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: That would be a great addition to the FB page if you can swing it!

Eastburn

Post Number: 648
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG, Dirk tells me he's been to St. Jude's a number of times to work on the glass. I just hope we don't get to the point that they have to put protective high temper glass over the outside to protect the glass from vandals. John has done that on many Detroit churches.

Zitro

Post Number: 2639
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Sean Casey for being one of the few to step up in the World Series. Enjoy your retirement, although I have a feeling he'll be back somewhere as a coach. Probably not a base stealing coach though!

Mkap
Username: Mkap

Post Number: 65
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z - Thanks for the FP article. I will e-mail this to my daughter who works with Walter Harris's wife and went to the funeral. What a tragedy this story is. From what I gather, this man was a tremendous asset to the department. A class act firefighter, husband, father and friend to many. He will be missed in the community I'm sure.

It was a coincidence, but I was at CFG's house when my daughter called to notify me of his death and the circumstances behind it.

These guys run toward danger as the rest of us run away from it. I thank God for all the men and woman who serve in all branches of a uniformed position.

Dombrowski and the Tigers showed some class of their own showing up at the station the way they did. Go Tigers!

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 633
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB - I know we have the protection on the doors, but I also hope we don't have to go any further. We have been fortunate so far, that the church has been spared any vandalism. Graffiti has hit the Parish Center, but the church and school have been remarkably well protected by the guardian angels of St. Jude!

Eastburn

Post Number: 649
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot of inner city churches have had to go with protective glass over all the stained glass. Sad state of affairs.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 634
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know, EB, I've seen it - and it sure does mess with the beauty of the stained glass. You can see the etchings and color, but it seems like through a fog. God willing, we won't have to put any protection over all our windows.

Jcole

Post Number: 5558
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a beautiful church in Romeo with a Rose window that they've put the plastic over. It does mess with the aesthetics of the glass.

Eastburn

Post Number: 650
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They're using high-temper glass now instead of lexan. Looks much better.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1785
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it would be great if all the stained glass windows were illuminated for evening Masses and prayer services.

Cfg, can you take this up with the council?

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 635
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K - I'm not sure what you mean "illuminated" - for evening Masses and novenas etc. How would would they be be illuminated? We're having our spaghetti dinner after the 4:00 Mass on Feb. 14th - if you and your family can attend - you can show me what you mean.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1787
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cfg, by illuminated, I mean backlit, from the outside, using spotlights. It's going to look great when you see them...trust me. They will need funds for this, but once the school is converted to a family fun center with bowling, I'm sure those revenues will be more than sufficient to cover the cost.

Zitro

Post Number: 2640
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now you're talking my language 7!!

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1326
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Billiards in room 100, bumper bowling in rooms 101 and 102, Foosball in rooms 103 and 104, pinball in rooms 105 and 106, treadmills in room 112, free weights in room 116. Four bowling lanes in the library, raquet ball in rooms 122 thru 126
Day care center in the office (well maybe parish council will figure that one out)

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 636
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey - who won the lottery that I don't know about to make these marvelous enhancements? I could pass on the billiard parlor but would love some of those lottery winnings to add the outside lights - or heck - to even hit our budget on weekly collections! :-)

Zitro

Post Number: 2643
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Great layout plan! CFG: this would be the revenue we would need for all of the emhancements

Jcole

Post Number: 5563
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why not throw a couple alleys in the cross hallways by room 100 and the office? The central courtyard could be used for a community garden in the warmer months, and maybe snowman building and snowball fights in the winter?

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 637
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the ticket - it would be a winter wonderland of fun - maybe ice sculpture competitions and a toboggan ride high above 7 mile starting from 6-130-131 to the blacktop!

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 362
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a toboggan ride, how bout this one. start it from the steeple, then down through the area between the back of the gym and room 129, possibly ending up going through the old office to end up on rex. who's game?

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 638
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like a team event - like a luge - can we all fit?

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 639
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everyone's creating that visual in their minds - I can see it now!

Zitro

Post Number: 2644
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the luge idea starting from the steeple with lot's of twists and turns.