Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St Marys of Redford Parish/School/neighborhood Nostalgia » Archive through December 24, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Nwkid
Username: Nwkid

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived on Grandmont just off of Midfield from 1962 to 1976. I remember the Hyde family well. Lester and Joel were the parents. Both passed away very young in the late 1970's, early 80's as I recall. Mrs. Hyde passed away in 76 or 77, Mr Hyde followed a few years later. Very sad beause they still had kids in grade school I believe.

Here is some trivia for SMR/Grandmont folks...

Anyone remember Thompson Electric on Grand River between Grandmont and Woodmont? The owner, Chuck Thompson, was a world-class hyroplane racer and won every major unlimited hydroplane cup in the US with the exception of the Detoit Gold Cup. I remember he stored the unlimited hydroplane "Tahoe Miss" in the storage yard behind the business on Grandriver. This was in the day when hyrdoplanes were all piston engine driven and it had a huge Rolls Royce aircraft engine. I recall proudly wearing a "Chuck Thompson" button that Chuck had given me when I was a kid. He died racing for the Detroit Gold Cup on the Detroit River in 1966.

Another piece of trivia. Anyone recall the Beverly stained glass business on the north side of Grandriver between Grandmont and Woodmont? They repaired and made beautiful stained glass for many Churches in the US midwest.

I still remember all the street names between Greenfield and Southfield. It was a great neighborhod. The SMR sock hops were great on Friday nights in the old gym. The church is an amazing edifice. There is no structural steel in the building. As I understand it, the church was built in the manner of an old French cathedral.

My wife went to SMR 1-12 as well. We crave the egg rolls the Rice Bowl served. I've travelled all over, particularly Asia and China. I've never had an egg roll better than those served at the Rice Bowl. My dad used to go up there on Saturday afternoons to get out of the house and get away from the kids/wife, either the Rice Bowl, Dooleys, or the Grandway.

I worked at the China Clipper on Grand River just west of Lahsher. Both my brothers and most of my friends worked there at one time or another washing dishes. I also worked at Jack Downy Super Shell on Fenkell just to the west of Southfield in the Grandland shopping center.

Anyone recall listening to WKNR blasting the top 40 while spending the afternoon swimming at Brennan Pools on Plymoth Road?

The Funeral home was Schmaldrietz Funeral Home on the west corner of Grandmont and Grandriver. A few years ago, likely in the late 90's, I went back to the old neighborhood and was surprised to see one of the last surviving businesses was the Hansel and Gretel Childrens Shoe Store on Grandriver and Archdale.

Thanks for starting this thread, many great memories of SMR parish and NW Detroit. My wife and I are returning to Detroit next Sunday for the holidays to visit family. Maybe take a drive through the old neighborhood.

Nwkid
Username: Nwkid

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimb, you must have known the Jacksons, Burkes, Mallons, and Walshes living on Prevost and Eaton. Kevin Nowicki from Grandmont lives in San Diego I believe, became a pretty high powered corporate tax attorney. Mrs. Lane the phys ed teacher died a few years back in the late 80's early 90's I believe. I'm still very good friends with one of the Lane kids. The youngest was a writer for the Wall Street Journal and lives overseas.

Rustic68
Username: Rustic68

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's good to see this thread come alive. There are so many memories we can all share from our past growing up in Northwest Detroit going to St. Mary of Redford. Just remembering Perks Party Store, Red Devil Pizzeria, St. Mary Bakery, Dooley's Bar, Winter Wonderland, Grand River/Greenfield shopping area, Cheney Library Branch, Robert Hall Store, etc., etc., etc. We were the "mighty Rustic's"....good football, team spirit and more..
Please pass this thread along to your fellow rustic's.
When is the mass in 2009?

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 343
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

text/htmlBud's Party Store on Grand River
buds.htm (13.8 k)

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 369
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 2:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would that be the same Mrs. Lane who used to work summers at Ramsey Playfield for the Parks & Rec? I just remember passing the time playing checkers on one of the picnic tables in the mid 70's.

SMR used to have "Dad's Night" @ Winter Wonderland on Tuesdays. I played hockey over at Jack Adams but remember going with friends on Tuesdays.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 370
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 2:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a paperboy who used to do alot of open routes during the early 80's:

Archdale, Longacre, Rutland, Abington, Grandmont, Woodmont, Asbury Park, Mettetal, St. Mary's, Mansfield, Rutherford, Montrose, Forrer, Winthrop.

Did I miss any?

Daddeeo

Post Number: 346
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Prevost

Olaim
Username: Olaim

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was a QOH'er, Went to St. Mary's for 8th grade and HS. I have nothing but good memories. The things we got to experience that only someone who grew up in Detroit could ever appreciate was an education in itself. At this time of year when driving by QOH from the Jeffries/Southfield loop I remember all the great times we had skating behind the school. We got to skate for gym class and lunch time.

Friday nights we all went to Winter Wonderland for open skate. For some reason when we got to HS open skate just died. Can't remember if it just wasn't cool or if the rink stopped having it.

Jimb
Username: Jimb

Post Number: 50
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nwkid, I not ony remember the Burkes, I am one. Ricky Jackson was my next door neighbor and best buddy for many years growing up. Matt Mallon was also one of my good friends. My brother kevin played in a band with Jim Mallon when he was in high school. I was over at the Mallons and the Jacksons houses all the time back in those days. Redmond Walsh was in my class, played CYO basketball with him in the 7th grade. I 'married' Theresa Walsh in our high school Married Love class for one of those projects that are supposed to open your eyes to what marriage was all about. We lived three houses south of Eaton, 14624 Prevost. The house has been boarded up for a while, or at least it was in September. The Jacksons moved out around 78, and who moved in but another Jackson family! We stayed on Prevost til 83.

Daddeeo, thank you for the Bud's picture post!! Awesome. Buds was right around the block, that's where I usually went for pop (Nehi, Tico, Big Joe), chips, popsicles or freeza-pops and candy - still remember all the penny candy at the counter (Mary Janes, Squirrels, Black Jacks...). My dad ordered his beer from Buds (case of Black Label), Tom Jr. would deliver it to the house in a big green van. Very cool to see Tom Sr. and Jr. in the picture. After they closed Buds, Tom and Ruth Howard were working at Fairlane Shopping center, cleaning up around the mall. I ran into them a couple of times in the late 70s/early 80s.

Hamtragedy, I know that Mrs. Lane did Parks and Rec stuff at some of the local playgrounds, so I'm sure that was probably her. A friend of mine was talking recently about playing on her Parks and Rec softball team in the early 70s. I remember playing on the Cook Park parks and rec team around 69 or 70, playing some games at Burns, Edison and Dossin.

Daddeeo

Post Number: 347
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Janet or Christine Walsh related to your wife?
I see Bashur's Drug store is a parking lot now.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2406
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drove out Grand River on Sunday, noticed that Stocker's market at Grand River and Robeson was pulled down.

Olaim
Username: Olaim

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JIMB - are you living in Plymouth? After reading all off these posts, I know I've seen you walking in Hines Park.

Jimb

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Daddeeo, took me a minute to pick up on the 'wife' thing. Those names don't ring a bell, though I only knew the names of maybe four of the Walshes (Redmond, Theresa, Tom and John), and I'm pretty sure there were a few more of them. Yeah, Bashurs was a party store for many years, but they tore down that whole structure. There was a small shoe repair place on Mansfield right next to Bashurs when I was a kid, right by where that little mini-alleyway type thing was. My old dentist, Dr. Neville, had his office by Mettetal and GR, and it was re-opened as a doctors office some time in the 90s (Dr. Rice). She is still there and is the family doctor for some good friends of mine.

Olaim, I live in Novi, but drive over to Hines and take walks sometimes in the warmer weather, usually over near the Newburgh Road area. I was over there quite a bit in September and October.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 783
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 3:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was at the Redford Theatre 10 or so days ago, Told the ol lady "Hey that was Lawsons back in the day" She said "YEAH it,s cold start the car". Missed out on what went on East of Evergreen back then , Only went that way to get to Downtown.30 years ago I,D hear thats gone , this is gone.Now I say that myself.But as a 17 yr old allmost 20 years ago I,d rather have had my car parked in that area rather then 7/Evergreen.

Daddeeo

Post Number: 349
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I notice Rice Bowl is long gone across from Bashurs too. Chaney Library is still rolling along.

Daddeeo

Post Number: 350
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

text/htmlChaney Library
library.htm (13.8 k)

Jimb

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Daddeeo, how can I get to the site that has those pictures? When I try to click on any of the links to go to the main page, etc., I get 'web page not found' errors. When I try to go to the atdetroit.net home page I see no options for geting to those pictures.

Daddeeo

Post Number: 351
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you click on the library.htm sign?
Otherwise go to site and click on the photos after you up sign up. It's free and easy.
There are also a bunch of other Grand River-Greenfield photos I have posted.

Jimb

Post Number: 53
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't have any problem viewing the pictures with your links. But when I try to navigate anywhere else within that photo album, it doesn't work - the way that link is set up, it shows me as being logged in as Joemac5135. If I try to use the PhotoAlbums link or the Previous link, etc., to look at other pictures or albums, I get a weg page error. Are these pictures viewed thru this website somehow, or is there another site I need to go to?

Daddeeo

Post Number: 352
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you have to sign up yourself to get other access.

Grandmont_rez
Username: Grandmont_rez

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, you need a Yahoo account to view the rest of the pics.

Jimb

Post Number: 54
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So where do I go to view the pictures? When I try to navigate anywhere within the site after clicking on the links posted here, it doesn't work. Above, it says:

Otherwise go to •••••••••••••••• site and click on the photos after you up sign up

What is '••••••••••••••••'?

Daddeeo

Post Number: 364
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Evidently, someone thinks it must be a competing site or something. The censorship on here is amazing.

Daddeeo

Post Number: 365
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit

Daddeeo

Post Number: 366
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Memories

Daddeeo

Post Number: 367
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

equals ---------

Alfie1a
Username: Alfie1a

Post Number: 115
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Had some friends who lived on Rutherford just north off Grand River. Melvin and Larry Mead. They had a bunch of younger brothers too. Anyone remember the names? I think they went to St. Mary's.

Jimb

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alfie1a, I knew the Meads pretty well, I lived right around the block on Prevost. Billy was the youngest, there were only those 3 from what I can remember. They were the guys in the neighborhood who always seemed to have a minibike when we were kids, sometimes a home-made go-kart. They lived three houses north of Eaton. I used to run into Larry now and then, been many years though. Melvin was killed in a car accident a long time ago. I'll never forget seeing Billy riding around in his car with F--- You spray-painted onto his hood - he loved it. Mom and dad were both deaf mutes - I can still hear Mrs. Mead outside blowing her whistle to get the kids home for dinner, or hearing her yell 'Melvin' as loudly as she could.

Alfie1a
Username: Alfie1a

Post Number: 119
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimb. thanks for posting about the Meads. I hadn't known about Melvin, sad to hear. He and my sister dated for a while. And Larry dated another of my sisters.

Maybe there were only 3 boys. But there were a lot of friends hanging around their home. Didn't know Billy but the car with the exclamation painted on his hood sounds like a Mead boy. lol

They were cool guys and fun to run around with.

Jimb

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, there always did seem to be a lot of people hanging out at the Mead's house. It was always strange (from a kids persepctive) to see them arguing with their parents, signing away at eachother, silently arguing. Then Larry or Melvin would turn around and make some nasty comment so that mom or dad didn't know what they were saying. Larry was married to a girl I graduated with for a while, back in the 80s - well, either married or dated for a long time, can't remember which for sure.