Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through January 28, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 363
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

z, would the luge track bring back memories iof that game Mouse Trap?

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2645
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I loved Mouse Trap! The commercial was great too

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5565
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the bells should ring to start the luge run. Just imagine, one good peal of those bells would start the luge down the chute just by vibration alone

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1788
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mouse Trap, Johnny Seven OMA, cap guns, machine guns, Tyco HO Slot Car Set, Hands Down, Electric Football, Monopoly, Roulette, green army men with jeeps and artillery, car wash for Hot Wheels / Matchbox size cars, Spirograph...oh, to be a kid again back in the 60s.

Fvfromd
Username: Fvfromd

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laing: went to Camp DeSales summer of 1976. Graduated SJ 1977.

Jcole

Post Number: 5566
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, Mouse Trap, Monopoly, green army men, and Spirograph are still hot sellers. My grandson was just showing me his Army men Sunday. There names were Rifle, Gun, Joe and Helen. Okay, times have changed a little.

Zitro

Post Number: 2646
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget Rock'em Sock'em Robots.

"He knocked my block off!"

Zitro

Post Number: 2647
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of Super Balls. Cfg did you ever get around to boouncing one down the hallway between the choir room and the downstairs sacristy and tape it for me?

12468_laing

Post Number: 364
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7andkelly, thanks for bringing up the Johnny Seven. Still remember getting mine. Took it outside the first day I got it, broke one of the legs, and my mom said, "Hey, we paid a lot of money for that". That is how I found out about Santa Claus.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1789
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There has been so much added to Cfg's list over the past few months, it's probably time to summarize.

Let's see, the superball thing, sandblast and repaint the bell tower beams, keep checking for missing artwork, traverse (and videotape) the tunnel(s) leading from the church to the convent and gym, interview longest surviving parishioners from the earliest days of the parish and digitize (and post) their 8mms and photos, coordinate the summer spaghetti dinner to coincide with all of our schedules,...

7andkelly

Post Number: 1790
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I learned something on that Christmas Day too, Laing. Don't shoot Mom with a rocket.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 640
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did the superball - forgot to tape it - Fr. thought it was a hoot! Summer Spaghetti dinner is a no brainer - consider it done - I just need you to give me a date - one date please for all to attend. Okay, that leaves the bird poopy bell tower, smelly tunnels, well, I'm not doing too bad!

Zitro

Post Number: 2648
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Photograph the courtyard

7andkelly

Post Number: 1791
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...and bring me the broomstick ... oh, wait ... that's not on your list.

Tsomyak
Username: Tsomyak

Post Number: 89
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG, you shot your mom with a Johnny Seven OMA too? I think it was the day after Christmas I had mine in the living room and my mom bent over to pick something off the floor. Bam! She was not pleased AT ALL! My brother had me convinced that because of that she was going to run away with the circus. Brothers are good for that sort of thing.

Mkap
Username: Mkap

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG - between you and Boop, you really keep us together.
Who loves ya baby!

7andkelly

Post Number: 1792
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TS, you too? My shot was point blank from three feet away, right in the shoulder. What saved me was it was Christmas Day, and the fact I was reeeeaaaaly sorry.

Zitro

Post Number: 2649
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Must have been something about that toy that made us direct out fire at other people. Christmas day I set mine up in our basement and I fired it right at one of my cousins hitting her right square in the forehead. I still remember the look of shock on her face. It was a great toy though.

12468_laing

Post Number: 365
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what's the weather outlook where you all live? Nashville is supposed to ice over by noon - we don't get too much snow, but with the humidity and other factors, we get ice. I also hear KY is covered with ice, too.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1793
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for asking, Laing. We got a generous dusting last night, and into the morning. Looking out the window, it's just beautiful ... perfect weather for skiing, tobogganing, snowmobiling and ice fishing ... now if I just the time to do more of those things... Oh well, at least I have my Toro. That never seems to get old.

Zitro

Post Number: 2650
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We just dodged it here in Iowa. Really foggy though and sub zero temps. I just got notice our Hickman Ark plant was closed due to the weather. That's kind of on the same plain as Nashville a little SW. Sounds like the ice could get bad there.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1794
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ooooh, an ice storm ... definitely don't need one of those. Be verrrrry careful out there.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 641
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Mkap - our pleasure! Hope to get an alumni Spaghetti dinner gathering in the late summer when we can get our "out of towners" here. (With their Iowa sweetcorn!) :-)
Sorry Z - No courtyard - one area of privacy for the Padre that I'll leave private.
Bad snow here - especially on the ice -lots of folks coming in late - and slip-sliding away!

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 642
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any other ideas out there for Alumni gatherings and fundraisers? ----besides the luge off the bell tower and Leslie Vissor's head?

Tsomyak
Username: Tsomyak

Post Number: 90
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had a hard freeze here last night, with a threat of an ice storm. I think the Hill Country got a good dose of ice, but within the city limits of Austin we were spared any accumulation. I'm very thankful for that. There are few things scarier than a Texan driving on ice.

Jcole

Post Number: 5575
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Texans shoveling salt out of the back of pick-up trucks at intersections comes in a close second.

12468_laing

Post Number: 366
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

things scarier than a Texan driving on ice......following a Nashvillian as they drive past a cop on the side of the road giving a ticket. They almost come to a complete stop just to rubberneck. When Steve Martin came out with his Egyptian song, they changed it down here to "Drive like a Nashvillian".

Jcole

Post Number: 5577
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that was the Bangles 'Walk like an Egyptian' but, yeah, we have those here in Michigan too. Or they stay in the right lane, whiz by the cop, and damned near knock him over.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 643
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know who's song it was, but I loved watching Steve Martin perform his "walk" in full Egyptian regalia!

7andkelly

Post Number: 1795
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's a "wild and crazy dude" from way back.