Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Garwood Mansion » Garwood Archives » Archive through February 02, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gashl1
Username: Gashl1

Post Number: 108
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Cowgirl In The Sand

Gashl1

Post Number: 109
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gashl1

Post Number: 110
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My best friend "Buddy" R.I.P. He'ld climb the side of a barn if you wanted him to

Stnfrnt
Username: Stnfrnt

Post Number: 359
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great photos, gang. Gash, I remember that ride up in the back 40 well. My horse spent the whole ride trying to get back to the barn. The little colt tagging along for the whole trip was really cute.

Margie....great to see Wing Nut again. I got one of her puppies...looked just like her.

Gashl1

Post Number: 111
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey has anyone heard from OG, Hope hi's OK....I got this morbid vision of some one breaking into his office up there in "Damn It's Coldville" and there's OG frozen in place, lips froze to a bong,index finger frozen and ready to press 'enter', half empty bottle of MD 20/20, a 1975 copy of "Big Butt" magazine and his black and white T.V. flickering in the corner. OR, he got smart and headed to AZ to hook up with Sug....Just checking on my pal, thats all....

Candy_man
Username: Candy_man

Post Number: 129
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good Mornin' Ya'll, Gashl1, My vision of Old guy is, since he got the ice auger fine tuned he's out there halling in the big catch, but, Sug did say that he might see him in AZ. I hope he is there when we get there next Saturday.:^)

Margie
Username: Margie

Post Number: 344
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mark is temporarily unable to come to the phone...

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3612
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Enjoy -- Stnfrnt - I posted this on another thread.

http://memory.loc.gov/afc/afcc c/audio/a423/a4230b1.mp3

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ query

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3613
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try this - https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5843/174311.html?1233438 425

Margie
Username: Margie

Post Number: 345
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neil...always smilin

Jordangirl3
Username: Jordangirl3

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Ruth, I sent you an email with my info about a month ago, I will send it again. A2dj may have listed me with him. Did he tell you about the banana slug in our family?

Ruth
Username: Ruth

Post Number: 120
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jordangirl3 - I'm sorry if I've missed something in my email. I may just not have your real name connected with your blog name. Please forgive my error and send it once again.
I had to go back into my email to find the note from a2dj about the banana slug. How are things at UCSC?

Neil - LOVE the bike - are you going to ride that to the reunion?

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 360
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OG is doing everything he can to avoid Stlrkn; he might be using an alias. Might be one of those Jordan girls. Seems to be lots of them popping up all of a sudden. Right about the time OG slipped off the radar.

Candy.....that bike? Well that's just awwwwwllright!!

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 361
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bgb...strange site. I like it. Don't quite understand how you can get a drunken sailor to remember all those lyrics.

Graynoodle
Username: Graynoodle

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy Super Bowl Sunday, to you all. My prediction- Arizona over Pittsburg, 27-24

Gashl1

Post Number: 112
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with you GN..but.. AZ by 3...should be a good game....I assume lots of folks are doing something today thats why no posting today.....or....a lot of folks got really, really drunk last night....either way AZ by 3

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 362
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Graynoodle.......good call. I'll go with that one myself. Only problem is both teams have former USC players in their lineup. Palomaulo and Leinart. Oh well.

Rockinrona
Username: Rockinrona

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ALOHA GW'S way out west here we are going for Steelers by 6 points,To Bad today is a work day ya? Well someone's got to do it!!rr

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 363
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1kd....great photos! Those ladies should get all the tlc possible because they are the "Grand Dames" of Detroit waterfront history as well as the Garwood boats are. It's a huge undertaking, I know, and money for that kind of project is hard to find, especially in these times. I hope they don't suffer the same fate as our beloved S.S. Catalina. She was a luxury steamship that carried passengers to and from Catalina Island but was abandoned in the muddy estuaries of Ensanada, Mexico. SAD! Photos are welcome. Google S.S. Catalina. You'll see why I hope your beauties can be taken care of.
sad

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 849
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 2:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stone, I'm aware of the Catalina. Somehow it escapes me at the moment what her connection is to the Great Lakes. I'll need to mull this one over if you don't provide me the details first. Thanks for the photo.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 850
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 2:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I googled the Catalina. I guess I was wrong about her. There was a Great Lakes Steamer that ended up on that run or somehow became connected to Catalina Island and Resort. I'll find it and forward it. Frank Lloyd Wright Jr, or John Lloyd Wright, FLW's sons, designed the Avalon Ballroom on the island.

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 364
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 2:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1kd...my connection to all of these beauties is a passion and interest in restoration rather than re-creation (which never really works anyway). How does one RE-create something? Maybe Gleeman could offer an observation here. I Mean could we ever re-create the Garwood...really? That's why those vessels have to be taken care of now; so they don't end up like the S.S. Catalina.

Okay......I'm done.

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 365
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 2:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's some real ancient history! circa 1965.
big red---9'6" Jacobs
I think this old board outweighed me.

Gash....you ever ride this one? Seems to me you ripped a couple waves with it. Hardest part was carrying that sucker to the Avenues and back from grandma's house. Ave. C hill?!

Gashl1

Post Number: 113
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In fact I did paddle out a few times on 'ol Red'. If I'm not mistaken, that one is one of a few that our grandmother picked up from old Doc.Sutter???? up in PV Hills....Rode in the back of Aunt Trudys 60s? DeSoto station wagon....Great memories and a few wipe outs......Damn Steelers!!!!!!!

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 366
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jgrl3....DOWNRIVIERA GIRLS? I like that.
fighting illini
Mornin' Ruth.

Ruth

Post Number: 121
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mornin' Stnfrnt. How are you today?

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 367
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ruth.....I'm in a computer class as we speak. Using a Mac computer running a Windows Vista parallel program. You think you're confused?

Ruth

Post Number: 122
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bruce has a MAC at home, a PC at work and uses a MAC razor for travel.... now THAT'S confusing. He also uses a very old Word Perfect program for his writing projects - very outdated but easy to use.
I use a new HP that came with the Windows Vista and I find it very difficult to navagate. Maybe you'll be able to give me some pointers. Good luck!

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 853
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did MAC's for years. They were the first computers I owned back in the early 90's. I was living in SF a few years ago and my house burned. My Mac's, laptop, desktop and peripherals, went up in flames. I was never keen on Apple's customer service. It was terrible no matter what polls may say. I layed off of computers for a few years, then bought PC's. They accomplish the few things I need and I've never had any serious service issues. Of course, I'm not a techie, and I try to limit my time on board. Hey now, I'm headed out to the great outdoors - the frozen lake and snow drifts and below zero temps. Scary! I should be online in a virtual world of beaches, babes and pina coladas.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 854
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just discovered the tug boats I had in mind for a re-union cruise are likely out of the picture. My friend's phone has been disconnected and no new number listed. If I can make it to his docks and speak to him in person, I may renew the cruise idea or we may have to be content to cruise on one of the alternatives - not that they're a bad idea. I just wanted to get us out on a real working tug or fishing scow. In this economy, I'm not surprised if his company bellied up. His avocation survived for years (tugs, the river and lakes), while his vocation struggled. Our economy may have provided the answer.