Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Arnold Home Tour « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2180
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Click Here. Enjoy.

Share what you know about it here.

-----------------------------
Nursing Home Profile from Hospital-Data.com
source

Services provided by ARNOLD HOME:

Activities services are provided onsite to residents
Clinical laboratory services are provided onsite to residents
Dental services are provided onsite to residents
Dietary services are provided onsite to residents
Housekeeping services are provided onsite to residents
Mental health services are provided onsite to residents
Nursing services are provided onsite to residents
Occupational therapy services are provided onsite to residents
Field 1 - Indicates other activity services provided by staff onsite to residents
Field 1 - Indicates services provided by social service s staff onsite to residents
Pharmacy services are provided onsite to residents
Physician extender services are provided onsite to residents
Physical therapy services are provided onsite to residents
Physician services are provided onsite to residents
Podiatry services are provided onsite to residents
Social work services are provided onsite to residents
Speech/language pathology services are provided onsite to residents
Diagnostic xray services are provided onsite to residents
Beds - Total (Total number of beds in a facility, including those in non-Participating or non-licensed areas): 224

Beds - Total certified (Number of beds in Medicare and/or Medicaid certified areas within a facility): 224

Beds - Nursing facility (Number of Medicaid certified skilled nursing care beds in a facility): 177

Lpn/lvn - Full time (The number of full-time equivalent licensed practical/ vocational nurses employed by a facility on a full time basis): 18.86

Change of ownership counter (The number of times a change of ownership (chow) has taken place for a particular provider): 2

Prior change of ownership (The date of a prior change of ownership): Jan 2001

Program participation (Indicates if the provider participates in Medicare, Medicaid, or both programs): MEDICARE AND MEDICAID

Activity professional - Contract (The number of full time equivalent activities professionals under contract to a facility): 1.14

Administration - Contract (The number of full-time equivalent administrative staff under contract to a facility): 1.14

Administrator - Full time (The number of full-time equivalent administrative staff employed on a full time basis by a facility): 8

Administrator - Part time (The number of full-time equivalent administrative staff employed on a part-time basis by a facility): 1.37

Beds - Snf/nf (Number of beds certified for both Medicare and Medicaid skilled nursing care in a long term care facility): 47

Cert nurse aides - Contract (The number of full-time equivalent certified nurse aides under contract to a facility): 6.40

Cert nurse aides - Full time (The number of full-time equivalent certified nurse aides employed by a facility on a full time basis): 69.03

Cert nurse aides - Part time (The number of full-time equivalent certified nurse aides employed by a facility on a part time basis): 8.29

Dentists - Contract (The number of full-time equivalent dentists under contract to a facility): 0.06

Dietitians - Contract (The number of full-time equivalent under contract to a facility): 0.86

Dietitians - Full time (The number of full-time equivalent dietitians employed by a facility on a full time basis): 1.14

Food service - Full time (The number of full-time equivalent food service personnel employed by a facility on a full time basis): 16.43

Food service - Part time (The number of full-time equivalent food service personnel employed by a facility on a part time basis): 12.71

Housekeeping - Full time (The number of full-time equivalent housekeeping personnel employed by a facility on a full time basis): 13.71

Lpn/lvn - Contract (The number of full-time equivalent licensed practical/ vocational nurses under contract to a facility): 5.14

Lpn/lvn - Part time (The number of full-time equivalent licensed practical/ vocational nurses employed by a facility on a part time basis): 5.86

Mental health services - Contract (The number of full-time equivalent mental health services personnel under contract to a facility): 0.57

Nurses with admin duties-Contract (The number of full-time equivalent nurses with administrative duties under contract to a facility): 1.46

Nurses with admin duties-Full time (The number of full-time equivalent nurses with administrative duties employed by a facility on a full time basis): 2.29

Occup therapy asst - Contract (The number of full time equivalent occupational therapy assistants under contrcat to a facility): 1.14

Occupational therapist - Contract (The number of full-time equivalent occupational therapists under contract to a facility): 2.29

Organized family group (Indicates if the facility has an organized group of family members of residents): Yes

Organized resident group (Indicates if the facility has an organized residents group): Yes

Other - Full time (The number of full-time equivalent persons not included in any other categories employed by the facility on a full-time basis): 27

Other - Part time (The number of full-time equivalent persons not included in any other categories employed by the facility on a part-time basis): 5.14

Other activities staff-Full time (Number of full-time staff hours for other activities): 5.71

Othr social serv staff-Full time (Number of full-time staff hours provided by other socia l services staff): 1.14

Pharmacists - Contract (The number of full-time equivalent pharmacists under contract to a facility): 0.11

Phys ther asst - Contract (Number of contract staff hours for physical therapy ass istants): 2.29

Physical therapists - Contract (The number of full-time equivalent physical therapists under contract to a facility): 1.14

Physician extender - Contract (The number of full-time equivalent physician extenders under contract to the facility): 0.51

Podiatrists - Contract (The number of full time equivalent podiatrists under contract to a facility): 0.23

Registered nurse - Contract (The number of full-time equivalent registered nurses under contract to a facility): 0.23

Rn director of nursing - Full time (The number of full-time equivalent rn director of nursing employed by a facility on a full time basis): 1.14

Social worker - Full time (The number of full-time equivalent social workers employed by a facility on a full time basis): 1.14

Speech pathologist - Contract (The number of full-time equivalent speech pathologists under contract to a facility): 1.14

Compliance: status (Indicates if a provider or supplier is in compliance with program requirements): NOT IN COMPLIANCE

Current survey date (The date of the health or life safety code survey, whichever is later. the "official" survey date for the provider): Aug 2002

Eligibility code (Indicates if a facility is eligible to participate in the Medicare and/or Medicaid programs): ELIGIBLE TO PARTICIPATE

Participation date (The date a facility is first approved to provide Medicare and/or Medicaid services): Mar 1976

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 891
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 3:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good pic Lowell,The folks on the Garwood thread could have the reunion there.

Birdwoman
Username: Birdwoman

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is pretty painful for me. Both my grandmothers spent their last years there. Both my parents volunteered (my mom in the gift shop, my dad spent time with the old guys) for many years.

When my mother developed dementia, she, too, spent time there, but things started going downhill by the late 1990s. We ended up taking her out and moving her to Traverse City where my brother lived shortly before Arnold Home closed because some asshole aide SAWED OFF HER WEDDING RING and stole it (her knuckles were too swollen for it to be removed any other way).

It still makes me sick.

Detroitbred
Username: Detroitbred

Post Number: 225
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandmother spent her last years there also. It always made me so sad to go there, I really hated to go ( the halls always smelled like urine ) but I had to go for her. Every time we took something to her, for birthdays, etc. it came up missing. The staff helped themselves to whatever they wanted. Very sad.

Catch22
Username: Catch22

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a telephone installer in the mid to late 70s, I spent a lot of time in this place. The conditions were not all the great then. Some parts of the building were especially stinky and dirty. What I found really dismaying was that in many cases the phone I was installing was for the convenience of the family of the resident since he/she was incapable of using it.

That piano in one of the pictures used to be in the lobby, and I heard it in use many times.

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 242
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Brownie Girl Scout troop sang Christmas carols there when I was eight (1969). I remember it being a very dark place.

Lowell

Post Number: 2182
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I can assure you that Arnold Home was very fresh smelling after years of the windows being open and any mold frozen.

Overall the campus seemed like a very pleasant place and all rooms well lit with natural light and pleasant outdoor views.

There was a lot of old furniture and records scattered over the office spaces and nursing stations, almost as if were abandoned in a day or two.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1180
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The building definitely looks familiar. It's along West Seven Mile somewhere, isn't it? On the north side of the street?

Detroitbred

Post Number: 226
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Bear, it is on 7 Mile, north side. Between Evergreen and Southfield.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1182
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Detroitbred. Carry on.

Detroitbred

Post Number: 227
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember it as a sad place...elderly people sitting in the lobby, shuffeling up and down the hallways, etc. Sitting in wheel chairs here and there.As I mentioned earlier, it didn't smell very good. We brought my Grandma a clocl with extra large numbers and dates so she could read it easily, and we always made sure she had a few dollars to buy a paper or magazine from the cart that went around. The clock, and her money, as well as articles of clothing we brought her didn't take too long to disappear. I'm sure she wasn't even aware of it. I guess people who would steal from the elderly or weakest among society counted on that.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 540
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked at the Arnold Home as a porter/dishwasher in '69-'70. My job was to take the food in heated carts up to the floors and later retrieve them and wash the dishes. The people I worked with did an excellent job. I got a temporary promotion to stock boy for a week in August '69 so he could go to Woodstock. The Arnold Home was well-run when I worked there. I'm saddened by the photos and videos of what it's become.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 446
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 2:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2004?

Wow it must have been in bad shape, it looks like a ruin that's been empty much longer than 5 years.

Were sections of it abandoned at earlier points?

I drive by a few times a year. My girlfriend teaches not far from there, and I always wondered what the story was with this building.

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 279
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My uncle spent his final months there in 2001-02. The place appeared to be fairly well maintained, his room was comfortable and the staff seemed to be courteous and very competent.

I pass by the Arnold Home at least 3 or 4 times a week and it's really sad to see how badly the place has deteriorated.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 444
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another Detroit fixer upper. For every nice thing that happens in Detroit, you have way too many of these. It's a crying shame.

N7hn
Username: N7hn

Post Number: 167
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I notice the arnold home on the flyer I posted. So its for sale? or just abandon and idle to rot (more)?

Lizaanne
Username: Lizaanne

Post Number: 134
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The property sat for years and was guarded by a private security firm. About a year ago the owner stopped paying for the security and the scrappers found out - that's all it took to turn it into a total wasteland. Before that the grass was cut and the property maintained, but it was closed. There was a news story on one of the local stations last year, and they had camera footage of scrappers caught in the act with crow bars, bags, their faces covered - it was horrible.

My grandma (rest her soul in peace) was there a few years ago after breaking her hip. I remember the pink paint well - and there were some lovely old pieces of furniture in the lobby if I recall. I was so sad to hear it had closed down and then turned into this horrible mess.

Lizaanne

Post Number: 135
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The property sat for years and was guarded by a private security firm. About a year ago the owner stopped paying for the security and the scrappers found out - that's all it took to turn it into a total wasteland. Before that the grass was cut and the property maintained, but it was closed. There was a news story on one of the local stations last year, and they had camera footage of scrappers caught in the act with crow bars, bags, their faces covered - it was horrible.

My grandma (rest her soul in peace) was there a few years ago after breaking her hip. I remember the pink paint well - and there were some lovely old pieces of furniture in the lobby if I recall. I was so sad to hear it had closed down and then turned into this horrible mess.

Dannyv

Post Number: 547
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the video you mentioned, Liz. It's sad to watch a place that you associate with a loved one being wrenched apart.
http://www2.myfoxdetroit.com/d pp/news/prob_solvers/Bold_Braz en__Busted

Lizaanne

Post Number: 136
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep - that's the one - totally heart breaking.

~Liza

Roadmaster49
Username: Roadmaster49

Post Number: 112
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That broadcast was helpful for an out-of-stater like me to catch upon the scrapping issue "in a nutshell".

Let me play devils advocate. What is wrong about what they are doing if there are just too many vacant abandoned buildings?

Stated another way - if - after a period of time from 1 year to 6 years or so of being for sale, there is no interest in these properties, why doesn't that place them in a different "domain"?

Here in Iowa, after 6 years of living together, a man and woman are considered "common law married"

How about after a period of time a vacant property becomes "of the public domain"

Aren't these particular strippers doing a service to the city of Detroit and the owners? If the owners were smart, wouldn't they hire a scrapper to sell off the valubale metals - given no interest in the property?

A lot of times I will purchase an old car for some parts I need then sell the other parts off of it to recover my purchase price in the 1st place. I blame the property owners for not having a strategy to resolve the property scrappage issue.

Lowell

Post Number: 2199
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IMO, the onus is on the owners to secure the property and the city's role to enforce building codes and regulations. The breakdown of those obligations turns it into a scrapers vs. cops story, with the destruction of the buildings, creation of public safety hazards, not to mention the 'eyesore' cost, and a waste of precious police resources.

Vigorously enforce code and this becomes a non issue.

Flybydon
Username: Flybydon

Post Number: 269
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Found this postcard.

Flybydon
Username: Flybydon

Post Number: 270
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

5/29/2007

Bethip
Username: Bethip

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back before the 60's, I think that the Arnold Home was an orphanage and a home for the "infirmed and aged". It was not like the county home, but it was a publicly run facility w/ a director and physician who lived on the premises. There was a school for disabled children on ‘campus’ and large gardens of flowers and veggies. Visitors could buy homemade items from the store.

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 263
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone have/know of any pictures of the old (now gone) William Booth Memorial Hospital that was on East Grand Blvd. near the bridge?

Dannyv

Post Number: 579
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rick, You might have a better shot of a response to your inquiry if you were to start a thread with your subject in the title. More eyeballs would come across it that way.

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 264
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good point. Thanks!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.