Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Eastwood memories » Archive through December 05, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1588
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I remember that about Mr. Shutey, but I was a bit younger so I don't think I could pick him out of a line-up of farmers. I do remember there was a Detroit Fireman who lived right across Redmond from that house, and across the alley from Mr. and Mrs. Bohr. Mr. VanDeVort was his name, and he and his wife had at least one daughter from what I can recall. They had a great dalmation dog, which was just as friendly as can be, but that name escapes me at the moment.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1169
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Bohrs who lived on the north east corner of Eastwood and Redmond were on of the original land owners before the triangle area was subdivided into plots for the Darby East Point subdivision. Their house along with the house on the south side of Eastwood off the Morang alley were 2 of the original homes in that area. I regret never asking the Bohrs to look at their photo albums. I understood they had photos of the neighborhood when it was just farm land and 7 Mile was just narrow road...even before Heilmann field had a Nike missile site.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1591
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, do you remember the VanDeVort family? The name Carol could be the name of a daughter.

Mr. Bohr often sat outside his Redmond facing garage in his lawn chair. He had lots to tell about the old days before it was all built up. They had a station wagon which they loaded up to the gills every year in late fall for their trek to their place down in Florida.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2246
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7: Carol graduated with JC and I. You should be able to see her pic on the class photo she uploaded last week on FB

7andkelly

Post Number: 1594
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carol's on FB? Cool. She can tell me the name of her dog.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1173
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 2:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: I do remember the VandeVort family, especially Mr. Van. He was a high ranking fire official and always engaged in friendly conversation. He kept his home and landscaping spotless.....you might recall the addition on the back of his house was always painted pristine glossy white, the cyclone fence always painted with a fresh coat of metallic silver...and yes the dalmatians were also friendly...territorial but yet friendly. Simply stated they were great neighbors.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1605
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of cyclones, it sure was a windy fall afternoon here in southeast Michigan...a great day to mow your lawn without the bag...a great day to watch all your trees' leaves blow over into your neighbor's lawns and beyond...a great day to take pictures of the fall color splendor before it's too late...a great day for a hay ride or pumpkin picking or cider drinking.

Zitro

Post Number: 2258
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7: Question for you. Powdered or plain doughnuts at a cider mill? Me? Plain, it's hard not to get them caught in your throat halfway down and have to drink about 16 oz of cider to wash them down. Great!

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 516
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just thinking about those doughnuts I can feel my arteries start to clog up (some more). But, oh, are they great!

Does anyone remember that the Kresge's on Gratiot & 7 made & sold those little grease bombs, too?

7andkelly

Post Number: 1606
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In order of preference: Powdered Sugar, Cimanin, Plain...and if ordering cimanin, I would pronounce it just that way so the person behind the counter would think I was defective or something. That kind of thing cracks me up, even it's it's only me laughing my guts out on the inside.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 4352
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love cinnamon doughnuts with cider, but even better are the pumpkin ones with cinnamon sugar on the outside. Yumm
Terri Dugan used to pronounce cinnamon cerininim.
Aluminum as alumininimum

7andkelly

Post Number: 1608
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like a swell gal.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1176
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For all those in the triangle or the nearby neighborhood: What part of Eastwood are the above pictures?

7andkelly

Post Number: 1611
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beautiful pictures, KR. Look at all that shade...and this is from the trees which replaced the elms. Two observations from that. One...where has the time gone? Two...no wonder we all got by without central air back in the day.

Jcole

Post Number: 4368
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the antenna on the house in the first pic.
Looks like it could bring in ships at sea

7andkelly

Post Number: 1625
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, J, it's definitely larger than an "ON TV" antenna, or even your standard VHF/UHF. It resembles more a TS light tower.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1645
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, just found out VDV's dog was named Smokey!

And SB's older sib was Paula.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1656
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just about all the beautiful color is gone from the trees, so now we are left with an awesome display of black, against a blue, sometimes gray skyline. Hopefully this winter we will see one of my favorite sites...frozen fog.

Hey, look at that. I see Jarzembak's old house is for sale.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1664
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not only did we get some genuine frozen fog Sunday evening, but the street was covered with sticking snow, and the evergreens were picture perfect! Just a dusting though...a shot across the bow if you will...a mere hint of things to come...nothing like the huge ruts in the street we will be dealing with...deep ruts where your car bottoms out...deep ruts where you cringe when you see an oncoming vehicle because you know you have to give up one rut and risk getting stuck in the muck if you lose momentum...then you rely on your neighbors and friends to help shovel and push you out...there is a distinct talent and technique to rocking your own self out of one of those messes...they don't teach that at Denby drivers' ed!

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1227
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 2:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: Even the police department was appreciative of the Eastwood and Saratoga kids getting the police vehicles out of the ruts.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1685
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, yes...the old black and whites with the bubble gum machines on top. Didn't want to see one of those if you were around the block riding your bike in the street when you were 7 or 8.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1709
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a fantastic late Thanksgiving Eve here in SE Michigan! Perfect weather for putting up Christmas lights out in the front yard. Crazy thing is the pear tree is still dropping leaves so I got to do some raking first.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1256
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The leaves on the Eastwood elms were pretty much gone by Nov 1.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1272
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking for a real Christmas tree. Is the lot on Moross and Kelly still selling trees? or Franks on 7 and Hayes?

Jcole

Post Number: 4918
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unless you mean in the recesses of my memory, no, Franks on 7 and Hayes is long gone. I think Franks went bankrupt a couple years back.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1732
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7andkelly

Post Number: 1728
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 4:40 pm:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
Franks was a great store. I wonder if they just tried too hard to be like the big box stores. Miss that one...that's for sure.

Used to walk over there, actually, and to Revco. Revco was great for film development, scripts, bandaids in those sturdy reusable hinged metal boxes, bactine, mercurochrome, aspirin, cigars and tobacco, and my favorite, tube testing.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1277
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: Is Vetre still sharpening ice skates?

Zitro

Post Number: 2468
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they are, I need to have my name put back on my blue nylon jacket, it's kind of worn off after all these years.

(Message edited by zitro on December 04, 2008)

Jcole

Post Number: 4930
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, KR, they will forever be sharpening skates.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1281
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 1:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC and Z: There are 2 things in life as I look back at my days at St. Jude that I wish I could take back....and they both deal with Vetre hardware.
1. getting figure skates after having hockey skates (weak ankles)
2. having my first name put on my blue nylon jacket instead of the last name.
What was I thinking?
Thanks for understanding.