Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » New Lions' Uniforms? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jokerman
Username: Jokerman

Post Number: 147
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even though I live in San Diego, I am a long suffering Lions' fan, since growing up in Detroit in the 1950s. I was shocked to hear that the Lions are considering a new uniform and a new logo. The Lions have the best looking uniforms and the best logo in the league (except for the stupid black jerseys). They were one of the first teams to have a picture/design on the side of the helmet. The uniforms and the logo are the best things about the Lions.

Baselinepunk
Username: Baselinepunk

Post Number: 108
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The Lions have the best looking uniforms and the best logo in the league (except for the stupid black jerseys)."

This dude must be joking.

J_to_the_jeremy
Username: J_to_the_jeremy

Post Number: 180
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actualy I agree 100%. the Barry-era jerseys are classic.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 1049
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree also. The Red Wings went through some rough times and never changed their logo or jerseys.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 916
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 4:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They can change the logo, the uniforms, yet In my mind . The same old same ol. Sad to say I have been to one Lions game in the last 10 years.Only went cause of the new Ford Field.The Lions don't need a jersey change.They need a big change.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 8443
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 8:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i like the black jerseys

Raj313
Username: Raj313

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good news Jokerman. The black jerseys are done.
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20090209/S PORTS0101/902090416/&imw=Y

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1354
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They also need to get ride of the black trim as well. The Blue and Silver and white are really cool uniforms, always have been.

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 287
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem isn't the jerseys, it's the people in them.

(and the people who own them)

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 1068
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(and the people who coach them)

(and the people who draft them)

(and the people who sign them)

(and the people who trade them)

Feel free to add to the list....

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 451
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The black was supposed to make them look "bad".
Well, it worked in reverse of the "bad" they were thinking of.
Why mess with a classic?
Go back to the silver helmets. That would be distinctive.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 988
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Difference is the Red Wings logo is more or less the original. Bubbles is far from the original Lions logo and pretty much sucks. I don't like the classic logo they use either with it's oddly long lion.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 1182
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As far as Bubbles is concerned, I think Drew Sharp hit the nail with this article:http://www.freep.com/article/2 0090201/COL08/902010449/1089/F irst+task+for+Lions+is+a+new+l ogo

I like the idea of a logo of a flat lion with a white flag flying at half-mass on his tail or of a Lion's Quarterback running for his life!!!

Eastsideal

Post Number: 301
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Bubbles is far from the original Lions logo

Huh? Save for the addition of an outline or two, the current logo has been on Detroit Lion helmets since 1961. Previous to that the Lions wore plain silver helmets.

Knocturnal
Username: Knocturnal

Post Number: 235
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Lions logo contest winner, courtesy of Lonnie Walker of Prospect, KY, submitted this entry. What do you think?

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090307/SPORTS0101/903070422/&imw=Y

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2126
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nooooooooo!

Riley484
Username: Riley484

Post Number: 25
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like that logo, but it look's a little too Arena League-ish. Check out this guys rendition.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/z elley/sets/72157613391241654/s how/

Go to the image of Calvin Johnson wearing the uniform. I really like these.

BTW - All Lions current jerseys are 75% or more off on their website. Even for players such as Calvin and Ernie Sims, those discounts are usually reserved for discontinued jerseys or players no longer on the team. I got a feeling we'll see a new logo and uniforms soon. Anything to rinse the stench off of 0-16 should be done.

Bshea
Username: Bshea

Post Number: 39
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they're going to have new uniforms this season, the design had to be submitted to the NFL office last March, and it would have been approved in November. That's what Greg Aiello told me.

That means the uniform switch was in the works prior to losing all the games.

It's not uncommon for teams to tinker anymore. Uniforms never used to change, and now it seems like every couple years they add or change (and get fans to buy ...)

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 500
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, the after the season they had last year (and many years previous), they should buy them PINK jerseys.

Knocturnal

Post Number: 236
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Riley - He (Matt Zelley) was actually the first runner-up in the contest. I do like his submission as well. The rendition of the proposed uniforms look good, too.

If you check you the article, The Detroit News actually includes several other entries. Click on "Related Content: Images"

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 218
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Matt Zelley did some nice work and I really hope the Lions take up his designs. I think that they need to update their logo, that Lion is a symbol for losing and failure.

Jtf1972
Username: Jtf1972

Post Number: 125
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So wait... this is really going to be the new logo?

Oh boy! Things are looking up now! Championships and winning and making plays & everything! Thanks, new logo!

Knocturnal

Post Number: 237
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I don't think that it is. It was just a Det News contest. The Lions organization always goes against the grain, anyway.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 1105
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 2:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the new logo matches the team. the new looks like crap, the team plays like crap.

last thing we need is this shitty late 90s Predators logo... eeughh..

the classic lion is much better. (same with the classic pistons logo, btw...)

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1717
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 2:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny...because teams who mix up colors and logos have an overwhelming trend of success after many failure filled seasons...

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 972
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 2:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the winning logo looks too AFLish,WELL maybe the Lions should see about changing leagues also.

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 286
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 4:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The hell with logos and new uniforms, get some damm cheerleaders instead!

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 616
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 5:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd give bad marks to half of the submissions in the news. I mean..... :
http://multimedia.detnews.com/ pix/35/f5/11/35/b16bb29c6a4642 b34aa4a250.jpg

I'm not too sure about the selected one. It looks really cool, but I'd prefer simplicity. If you hold your computer back it looks noisy from far away, but great if you are always staring at it on a computer screen.

Dbest
Username: Dbest

Post Number: 108
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those symbols/jerseys are terrible. I will say it is interesting that someone would spend time working on a mock LIONS symbol. They better not change that symbol anytime soon.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1718
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look for just a removal of black in 2009.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 2822
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bring back the old school style with the elongated lion with the two bars behind it.

Restore the roar and let the Lion eat the old drunk bastard in the process.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1784
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't see why a caricature/silhouette of a lion HAS to be on their helmets, and most of the better "lion" submissions are far too detailed to be recognizable as a spectator in a football stadium at a distance. The current lion silhouette reminds me of something picked out from a sheaf of Rorschach inkblot papers, IMO.

Chicago does not have a bear, Green Bay doesn't have a packer, Dallas does not have a cowboy, Cincinnati does not have a bengal tiger, Minnesota does not have a viking, and Kansas City does not have an indian chief for other examples on their helmets.

Although the following submission is a bit too similar to the Detroit Tigers olde english D, it is close to what I would like to see as a logo on their helmets, a mashup of the letters D and L. The Minnesota NFL franchise does have an image of a long blonde haired and mustached viking head with a horned helmet that they use as a logo other than just the horn on each side of their players' helmets, there is no reason why Detroit cannot do the same, having a letter logo for their players' helmets and a logo image of a lion for correspondence, media, and sales.

D_mcc

Post Number: 1720
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I actually really like that Logo...and Wouldn't mind having it on a hat, or seeing it on a helmet

Eastsideal

Post Number: 390
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd bet that the Tigers would claim trademark infringement over something like that.

D_mcc

Post Number: 1721
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think there is enough difference that it wouldn't matter...

_sj_

Post Number: 1719
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All items in the Detroit Lions store are on sale. So it looks like something is coming but I still think they are just jettisoning their black inventory.

Xphillipjrx
Username: Xphillipjrx

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is the Lions new jersey
[img]http://i63.photobucket.com/alb ums/h137/furball22/Random%20Ju nk/lions.jpg[/img]

If you want to know anything about jerseys visit www.nextleveltalk.com. There is nothing on the NFL forum there about new Lions jerseys except the joke above.

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 401
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 5:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sooo, what's the one thing that management could be spending their time on that would have absolutely ZERO impact on their record next season? Uniforms!!

In this critical period during which we've been hoping the front office would be 150% dedicated to re-tooling the team for a winning season (or at least 1-15?), they've instead been spending their time looking at color swatches and logos.

Pathetic.

Riley484
Username: Riley484

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crash, they've tried. They tried to trade for Cutler and sign a couple of top free agents. Who'd want to come to this team though? They got a couple of so-so starters and managed to trade Kitna for a starter (amazing).

IMO, the new GM gets an A for effort. I think he'll be pretty good, but the roster is so devoid of talent that it'll take a long time to fix.

And when all else fails, get new uniforms.

_sj_

Post Number: 1720
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe I was wrong about just the black being removed.

quote:

Jackson, who recently signed as a free agent and probably didn't realize the Lions wanted to keep their new uniforms and logo a secret for awhile, made a comment about how he liked the Lions' new look, including a remark that he liked the "new colors.''

http://www.mlive.com/lions/ind ex.ssf/2009/03/new_lions_unifo rms_and_logo_co.html

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.