Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Mercury Coffee Bar. Two thumbs up » Archive through February 09, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2185
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I finally swung by there yesterday and was delighted by the food, service, decor, layout and especially the big window spectacular views of MCD and more.

I had a sandwich and soup both embellished with Avalon Bakery breads. Although you can't see it in these pictures, taken during a mid PM lull, business was brisk and I was happy to see that.

panorama of Mercury Coffee Bar Detroit

Michigan Central Depot from Mercury Coffee Bar Detroit

detail

Hairybackjoe
Username: Hairybackjoe

Post Number: 53
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too have enjoyed MCB a few times all ready. Really good coffee and a nice energy to boot. I even purchased some of their beans for our office (everyone raved at the flavor of the coffee produced; El Diablo)!

Penelopetheduck
Username: Penelopetheduck

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i heard a rumor that the new breakfast sandwiches are awesome.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3468
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, too bad about their staff being all-white though. (Haha. I'm kidding!)

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 261
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feel a need to break out my parachute pants and skinny black leather tie when I look at those pics for some reason.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2093
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

too bad they screwed over about 30 people most of whom live in the area. They hired them in August, keeping them coming to meetings for no pay for 3 months,saying they were opening in a week. Having everyone come in for training for 2 weeks and all weekend while having the cooks do normal kitchen work. They still payed below minimum wage and then canned them all the first week after many of them quit their other jobs and spent hours learning the Zingermans way. I love when new businesses open up in town but the people that own this place have no clue how to treat people.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 538
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chub,

The interior of the MCB really isn't so Devo/Miami Vice as the photo makes it look :-) I liked it a lot on my first visit earlier this visit, and I'll be back on a future visit.

O.

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2187
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a pretty heavy allegation. Care to back it up? I'm not confirming or denying you, just asking how you prove something like that. I ask also because the staff I dealt with were not sullen and were very helpful attentive and cheerful.

Chitaku

Post Number: 2094
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It happened when I worked there, the remaining staff are nice and probably happy because they still have a job. It is the Management who has no clue how to treat people.It is a rotten thing to hire people and then never schedule them, while also never telling them hey don't have a job. As the weeks went on, the names on the schedule would get smaller and smaller(first week there were about 40, by the end of november there were thirteen total. The thing is they nevr told these people they were out of a job. They just sat and waited to be scheduled. I remember one guy telling me it was his first day working after the place had been open a week. One guy was putting in full time before they opened and they canned him the first week. I hate knocking new businesses because I know how hard it is to open a new restaurant, but I'm sick of all the "oh they are so wonderful!" when they really screwed people over. Notice the early articles talk about them hiring fifty people. See if you can count how many different people work there now.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3472
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jesus, they really overhired. By mid-November, their staff was 22.

Bcscott
Username: Bcscott

Post Number: 128
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool, thanks for the pics. I'm taking some out of state friends there after dinner at Slows next month

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 258
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"So when you criticize, you better make sure
two thumbs is up, WHAT?"

Can anyone name that song (without Googlery)? Hint: it's by a legendary Detroit hip-hop crew...

Jonesy
Username: Jonesy

Post Number: 532
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Best Mocha in Michigan. Slow drip is the only way to go.

Hubbardfarmer
Username: Hubbardfarmer

Post Number: 43
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mercury appeared to be closed this morning. Let's hope it's only temporary.

Beech_cricker
Username: Beech_cricker

Post Number: 50
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looked closed when I went by at 3:30 as well.

Jonesy
Username: Jonesy

Post Number: 534
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just there yesterday late morning. The place was packed. They told me business was great. I too hope this is just temporary, because I can't take anymore disappointment.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1677
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe business has been great but not great enough?

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1216
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GONE!!

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20090209/BIZ/9 02090436

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1217
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jesus.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1679
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sigh.

J_to_the_jeremy
Username: J_to_the_jeremy

Post Number: 178
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fuck.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1218
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What an extremely shitty week. The retail/restaurants that exist in Detroit have been greatly downsized in 5 days. Sad in a lot of ways. Sad that a dozen closings would cripple downtown's comeback, and sad that there are a dozen closings period

Chitaku

Post Number: 2097
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny they told the employees they were only closed or three days. This seems like a case of Karma biting them in the posterior. I hear they were losing 280 bucks a day. I'm getting this info from a now former employee as we speak.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1680
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Chitaku, that's what one of the owners told the Detroit News in the story on its Web site: http://tinyurl.com/dab5rz

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4095
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What tooks years to build up seems to have been swept away in a week or two. This is easily one of the most depressing weeks in many, many months. It's like someone came in with a broom and swept away anything that wasn't absolutely nailed down.

Chitaku

Post Number: 2099
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's sad however none of these businesses were closed due to lack of support. MCB's stock was extremely expensive, there plan to serve expensive and rare foods failed because it was the wrong market. Same with Zaccaro's, it just did not make sense in the area it was in. It's like she just plopped the store down and thought "ok money roll on in" without doing any research. As for Sweet Georgia Brown...they just forgot to pay the bills!

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 285
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It sounds like they were grossly undercapitalized.

J_to_the_jeremy
Username: J_to_the_jeremy

Post Number: 179
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MCB
Zaccaros
Athlete's Foot/J Bees
Sweet Georgia Brown
Borders
Avis

Am I missing any? This is really annoying, and if we follow the pattern shown in different, healthier cities, this could only be the beginning... I hate not being optimistic, but this could really get bad if our economy stays crappy.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1682
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the Avis thing? A car rental place closed?

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1219
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah the out-of-place rental car place that was located at the Lofts of Merchant Row