Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Great Chili » Archive through February 12, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Topflight
Username: Topflight

Post Number: 63
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where can i get some besides Wendy's?

Is homemade better?

Is yours better?

Brag just a little please.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5734
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I make a fantastic Texas style chili, no beans, cubed beef green peppers, onions. Yum.
If you want good canned chili, one of the best I've ever eaten is Stagg's, but it's very hard to find. I think the Meier in Southfield has it, and Sam's Club and Costco used to carry it.
I'll post my recipe if you want it.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3758
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I make mine a little different every time. But it's still fantastic.

Look up L.B.J.'s recipe - the best.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 720
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honest?John's has some pretty damn good chili, IMO.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 752
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use a modified version of my Grandma's old homemade chilli recipe and upped the ante on the heat. It's not for shy tastebuds. Although I will admit that occasionally I go defcon 2 on the heat, and then it's not suitable for even my seasoned tastesbuds after a bowl.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1996
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like to make mine with the Kidney beans, ground sirloin, chopped tomatoes and one Jabanero pepper for just the right heat.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1421
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karen at The Checker Bar and Grill on Cadillac Square makes some GREAT chili. She puts the real chili on their famous chiliburger too!

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 490
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about a Discuss Detroit Chili Cookoff, to be presented at a bar chosen by the contributors to this site? Beer and chili. Good people. Maybe some civil discussion on the news of the day. And live music. There I go, dreaming again!

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1997
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dakota Rathskellar has a sensational Chili cook off every August.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 345
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've often thought a Cincinnati-style chili parlor around here would make some money for someone, particularly if that person had a liquor license. I can make it pretty well. The key: boil the beef in beef broth before you start.

Whaler
Username: Whaler

Post Number: 145
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm in for the Chili Cook Off..I would Love to Shock the World..hahahah..Been to Dakotas..Funnn

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2064
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honest John's is pretty tasty, but it does have beans (a no-no). There's a place near Wayne State called Epicurus, I think, that used to have great chili.

Jcole, your chili sounds similar to what I make at home. I puree all the peppers (bell and hot) and onions so that nothing besides the meat is visible in the broth. I use three kinds of meat (beef, bison, and lamb) and it ends up being so thick that a spoon stands straight up in a bowl of it.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2898
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I make Alice's Restaurant Chili. Let's see...

2-3 chopped green peppers, change out for poblanos and jalapenos if you like though Alice didn't
1 large onion, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
Saute all these in some olive oil.
Add in a pound of ground beef, I like round, and poke it around until it's browned and crumbled.
Now add in two big cans of tomatoes, chopped or, my change again, one big can of tomatoes and a can of beer.
Add a bay leaf, a tablespoon of oregano and one of basil, and 4-8 tablespoons of chili powder. Simmer for 45 minutes and then add a can or two of drained and rinsed kidney beans. Simmer another 15 minutes. For a modern twist, if you want it good and thick, make sure you use two cans of beans, and use your stick blender at the end to puree the chili somewhat.

I am in Florida and went to a chili cook off on Friday night. They had, of all things, German chili that tasted like sauerbraten to me, Tropical chili with fruit in it, Italian chili that was kind of like a cross between minestrone and marinara. None of these had any kick at all. I voted for the three pepper chili as that one was good and hot. My husband voted for a spicy traditional chili that was offered with chips, cheese and chopped onions.

(Message edited by gazhekwe on February 11, 2009)

Jcole

Post Number: 5737
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury, sounds great. I'll have to try pureeing the peppers

Topflight
Username: Topflight

Post Number: 64
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay Chili Buffs
I'm sponsoring a community chili cook-off strictly for bragging rights a traveling trophy and other prizes. I need contestants are you willing? "Knock Your Boots Off" Chili Cook-Off
Entry $10 per cook/team Saturday February 28, 2009 12-5PM It is part of the Cody/Rouge SnowBlast Winter Festival and Community Resource Fair visit our website at www.freewebs.com/codyrougewint erfestival
applications can obtained by emailing me at cttopflight at yahoo dot com.

Kryptonite
Username: Kryptonite

Post Number: 82
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am a Chili-making god. In my opinion Foran's has very good chili with a smoky taste. And spicy enough to taste like chili instead of beef/bean soup.

Honest ? John's is pretty good as well.

Trinity Lutheran Church downtown has an annual chili/soup contest in late January. I don't think it has been going on all that long, I believe they are trying to build it up like their Oktoberfest.

Wabashdetroit
Username: Wabashdetroit

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Foran's on Woodward. Hands down the best in town.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3628
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gaz - your chili sounds a lot like what I make only I brown the ground beef before I put in the peppers, onions and garlic. I like to see them in my chili as well as taste them! And I fix a skillet of cornbread to go with it.

I had forgotten the bay leaf one time when I made it - that little leaf sure makes a difference in any tomato based dish. IMO

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1442
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite chili recipe:

Domestic Goddess Chili

Ingredients
• 2 lbs ground beef
• 1 cup chopped onion
• 1/4 cup chili powder
• 2 teaspoons minced garlic
• 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
• 2 (8 ounce) jars taco sauce (mild or medium)
• 2 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
• shredded cheddar cheese
• tortilla chips

Directions
Cook ground beef in Dutch oven over high heat, stirring to break up meat until no longer pink
Add onions; cook and stirring until translucent (for 2 minutes)
Stir in chili powder and garlic, cook one minute.
Stir in tomato sauce and taco sauce
Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes
Stir in kidney beans and heat thoroughly
Top each bowl with shredded cheese, and scoop up with tortilla chips

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 586
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Caseys Bar. They use Capt. Ed's DFD chili recipe. YUMMMMMMY for my tummy.

Corvax
Username: Corvax

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JCole,

Your recipe is exactly what I need for a chili cook off at my son's school.

I'll blow the ground beef recipes out of the gym.

Please post as offered

Jcole

Post Number: 5751
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Corvax, here you go. Serve it topped with the Jack Cheese or Cheddar if you prefer and the reserved chopped onions. Also plenty of oyster crackers.

Texas Chile

1-3 ½ to 4 lb. Boneless beef chuck roast
¼ c salad oil
2 c. chopped onions
3 med. Green peppers, diced
4 cloves garlic, crushed
2- 28 oz. Cans tomatoes
2- 12 oz. Cans tomato paste
2 c. water
1/3 c. chili powder
¼ c sugar
2 Tbsp. Salt
2 tsp. Oregano leaves
¾ tsp. Cracked pepper
½ c. shredded Monterey jack, shredded
Cut steak into ½ inch cubes.
In 8 qt. Dutch oven over med. High heat, in hot oil, cook 1/3 of the meat at a time, until browned. Remove meat to bowl w/ slotted spoon. Set aside.
Reserve ½ cup onions. Add remaining onions, green peppers and garlic to drippings in Dutch oven; over med. Heat, cook 10 min., stirring occasionally, and adding more oil if needed.
Return meat to Dutch oven; add tomatoes and their liquid and remaining ingredients except cheese and reserved onion. Heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer 1 ½ hours or until fork tender.

Corvax

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JCole,

Sounds good, but the sugar threw me. Is it necessary to counter tomato acidity? Think it can be reduced/eliminated?

How many would this feed?

If I want to spice it up, perhaps I'll serve with some chopped fresh jalapenos--thoughts?

Thanks

Detroitbred
Username: Detroitbred

Post Number: 248
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Corvax, I wouldn't worry about the sugar...it is a small amount in the overall recipe, but maybe if you wanted to eliminate it, add some sweet red peppers along with the green.? I sometimes add cracked RED pepper for some heat.

Jcole

Post Number: 5752
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The sugar is primarily to counteract the acid. You can't taste it, it just mellows it some. Try it without, taste it and if it makes you pucker, add it and simmer a little longer.
I've never had to add any extra peppers for heat. I try to use the freshest chile powder I can find, from a Mexican market if possible. Rather than jalapeno peppers mixed in, if you feel it needs something, Detroitbreds suggestion is good, or maybe some other dried chile.
Chopped jalepenos on top might zing it up some, too.

Tsomyak
Username: Tsomyak

Post Number: 94
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Careful with chopping those jalapenos. The first house I rented had some growing in the garden. I chopped some to add to some chili. I even thought to wash my hands, but that wasn't good enough. I rubbed my eyes awhile later. BIG MISTAKE. My eyes burned for the rest of the night. I've been told best thing to do is to rub your hands with salt after washing.

Corvax

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks for all the tips.

i was thinking of just having the jalapenos on the side for folks to add as they wish--much prefer the fresh to the canned and pickled

Tsomyak
Username: Tsomyak

Post Number: 95
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, and for the truly adventurous, try some serrano peppers if you can find them. Hotter and tastier that jalapenos, IMHO.

Slick
Username: Slick

Post Number: 51
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Careful with chopping those jalapenos."

wear disposable latex gloves, but don't touch your eyes anytime.

Basic chili recipe,
Meat, browned
onions, one recipe said you never have enough.
peppers of your choice, mild to hot.
tomato sauce, crushed, stewed, your choice,
beans, kindney, or chili,
brown the meat, save the fat to saute the onion and pepper.
Simmer with the remaining ingredients,
salt, pepper, cumin, garlic to taste.

Anyone can make great chili depends on your taste buds.
We host a chili fest for fun in Lansing, 15 different chilis, first crock pot empty is the unofficial winner.

Jcole

Post Number: 5754
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or Habeneros. But keep a fire extinguisher handy