Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through February 11, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2676
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better the Thin Mints than the Tagalongs. Better to gain a few lbs than lose your life.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1823
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In my neighborhood, it's better to just pony up with the money and be happy with whatever cookies you get, than lose your life.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5715
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's right, tagalongs could be killers this year. Are they actually selling them, or did they drop them off the roster?

7andkelly

Post Number: 1824
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's what they're saying about them:

http://www.girlscouts.org/news /news_releases/2009/girl_scout _cookies.asp

Zitro

Post Number: 2677
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had seen that but I think I'll pass until the hysteria is over.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1826
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree.

I just recently stopped microwaving my mail in the garage after retrieving it with fireplace tongs. Still wearing the mask and gloves though.

Jcole

Post Number: 5716
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't been approached for GS cookies yet, so the time for me to worry has not come

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 669
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grand daughter's troop had the option of sending the cookies to the troops Iraq or Afganistan for a contribution so that's what we did. Darn it!

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 505
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It took me two weeks to feel safe enough to even eat a pb&j. My Skippy sat unused in my cupboard.

Zitro

Post Number: 2678
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope Skippy isn't a dog.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1827
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's not?

Zitro

Post Number: 2679
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh that's right Skippy is Alan Harper's nickname

Tsomyak
Username: Tsomyak

Post Number: 92
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do we have to wait until Fat Tuesday for the Paczki Pie? Don't JC and Z deserve something special this week?

Jcole

Post Number: 5717
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anyone is truly interested in Achatz Pies, I can send you the email newsletter that I get. I know they ship pies, but it might be very expensive that way. Their pies are to die for, though. Here's a link to their site Achatz Pies
If you enter your email address in the form at the bottom of the page, they'll send you a $5 coupon.

Diane12163

Post Number: 506
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I say Fat Tuesday is any day you declare it to be so let the pie fly folks!

Skippy is the name of a brand of peanut butter which comes in either smooth and creamy or chunky. It has a turquoise blue lid and was once advertised on television by Annette Funicello. She was known for starring with Frankie Avalon in the beach movies like Beach Blanket Bingo. She was also a Mouseketeer. Frankie Avalon sang many a song and also made a guest appearance in Grease singing to Di Di Conn's character Frenchie about being a "Beauty School Dropout". Frenchie is not to be confused with French's which is a yellow mustard brand and by my standards the only one. Mustard is also a smooth creamy spreadable just like Skippy Peanut Butter and speaking of peanuts, make sure to watch "Be My Valentine Charlie Brown" on ABC Tuesday Feb. 11 at 8:00pm 7:00pm central. OK, I'll stop now and I'm sure you're all relieved. :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Eastburn

Post Number: 670
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Groan. :>)

7andkelly

Post Number: 1828
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Until Reese's, I always hated peanut butter, and I've never had a pb&j. Started to a couple of times...almost barfed. Same thing goes for pumpkin pie, yams, squash, beets and green olives. But I do like Annette Funicello, and Charlie Brown holiday specials. Go figure. And who could hate Skippy, although I always thought Mallory could do better.

(Message edited by 7andkelly on February 10, 2009)

Zitro

Post Number: 2680
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always thought Mallory was stuck up but I like Mallo Cups.

Jcole

Post Number: 5720
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you say that Mallory had P cups??

Zitro

Post Number: 2681
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not exactly but speaking of Cups I think the Wings have an excellent chance of repeating this year. They're the class of the NHL once again.

Diane12163

Post Number: 507
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastburn--Thanks for the groan. My diatribe payed off.

7andkelly---Thank goodness you never had a "pp" and j. That would be yucky. pb and j is much better.

Jcole-If Mallory had P cups, she grew without me looking. Man, those would jump out the screen and poke an eye out or something. :-)

7andkelly

Post Number: 1829
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Her brother's middle initial was P. Maybe that's what you're thinking of. Him and "stuck up" remind me of Alex Trebek. Art was a better host, IMO.

Tsomyak
Username: Tsomyak

Post Number: 93
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are those the ones you get at the medical supply store?

Jcole

Post Number: 5723
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always liked Art Linkletter too. Those kids would say the darnedest things

Eastburn

Post Number: 671
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See what you started, Diane?

Diane12163

Post Number: 508
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastburn---Yeah. Ain't it great?!

And there was that one old coffee commercial where the lady would sing "A cup, a cup a cup a cup a cup".

And the I love Lucy episode where she gets the loving cup stuck on her head and rides the subway with it.

But, just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down in a most delightful way.

Greatdays
Username: Greatdays

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Growing up, I lived on Fordham between Redmond and Rex. When my family moved there, they were one of the first houses on the block. None of the St Jude facilities existed, but the plans were in the works. Mass was held at Denby High School until the original facilities were completed. My parents lived there for more than 30 years. I drove through the area this past summer and must admit that I was shocked with the change. My Mom is in her 90's, and asked if I knew the name of the Nike Base; does anyone remember the name ?

Eastburn

Post Number: 672
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Greatdays, We just called it the army base at Heilman Field. Are you a SJS grad? Year? Perhaps someone my age has finally shown up here. I've been trying to educate these kids for almost a year now. Welcome!

Greatdays
Username: Greatdays

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastburn,
Yes, class of 61. I had two sisters and a brother pass through before me...

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1335
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GREATDAYS: Our family lived on the north side of Eastwood between Rex and Redmond from 1959 to the mid 90s. Where abouts on Fordham did you live..north or south side closer to Rex or Redmond?