Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Gourmet market Zaccaro's has one last chance « Previous Next »
Archive through February 16, 2009Birdie30 02-16-09  2:40 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Atwater
Username: Atwater

Post Number: 379
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"young married singles"

Hm, interesting.

Detroitchef
Username: Detroitchef

Post Number: 106
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

holy crap.. I dunno what planet you people live in... but if you put a bodega in Detroit, the crackheads will be lining up to rob the place.

Urban_shocker
Username: Urban_shocker

Post Number: 76
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zaccaro's accepted EBT, geniuses.

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 111
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

detroit chef, how would a bodega be any worse than a liquor store for attracting crime?

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1100
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well it must have been a very late addition if they did accept it, there were a lot of mad customers in the beginning when they tried to tell people that there system was not equipt to handle EBT.... I personally heard Cindy talk about how she hoped it would never get to that point and how she felt like allowing EBT was just asking for trouble.

Ashdetroit
Username: Ashdetroit

Post Number: 61
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While I would never shop at Zaccaro's for produce , it was a great place to pick up the stuff I often went to the suburbs for (whole wheat pasta, fancy tea, etc.)
I don't think we can blame Cindy for everything. This recession has put a lot of things on hold in the city. Even if you have money, no one is spending eight bucks on pastries right now. Bad timing.

Sg9018
Username: Sg9018

Post Number: 272
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Update,
In today's Free Press,
Help offered for Zaccaro's Market in Detroit
Store working with city.
http://www.freep.com/article/2 0090217/BUSINESS06/902170386

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3778
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

detroit chef, how would a bodega be any worse than a liquor store for attracting crime?

Yeah, I'm waiting on that answer myself. NYC bodegas are the equivalent of Detroit liquor stores. They both are known for selling two things: beer and food past that is its expiration date.

Lakesuperior
Username: Lakesuperior

Post Number: 140
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i love zaccaro's, but i can't help but agree with the detroitist:

http://detroitist.blogspot.com /2009/02/its-wonderful-buncomb e.html

zaccaro's could do better...

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 721
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I personally cannot understand why anyone would ever need to leave the Greater Downtown for groceries.

Maybe it's because I'm a single man without a lot of fancy needs, but geez...

Let's see...meat, dairy, the freshest vegetables in the world...Eastern Market. If I'm feeling lazy and don't feel like going out in the winter cold...Harbortown.

Someone above mentioned cheeses...Jesus Christ...R. Hirt has an ENORMOUS selection of cheese. They employ people whose job it is to ONLY slice cheese!

I just can't imagine what people are looking for that can't be found in the Greater Downtown.

I went to Meijer for the first time in six years this past Sunday and damn-near vomited; stringy-haired people in dirty sweatpants, a mother slapping her screaming kid, crammed aisles, long check-out lines.

Ugh. Y'all can have it. I'll take Harbortown and save the gas money.

Waymooreland
Username: Waymooreland

Post Number: 115
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I REALLY hope that Zaccaro's finds a way to stay open because I live two blocks away from the place and it means a lot to me and other area residents, but I have to agree with Eric_c. I had no problem shopping for food in the city before Zaccaro's opened and will still have no problem if it does indeed close.

People drive from all over the metro area to shop at Eastern Market, yet there are people in the greater downtown area driving out to the suburbs for groceries. Then there are plenty of perfectly good independent grocery stores like those that have already been mentioned in this thread.

The only time I really shop for groceries out in the 'burbs is if it's late at night, making Meijer the only option.

Lugotown
Username: Lugotown

Post Number: 59
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's definitely different shopping for just you vs. an entire family. i remember those days, seems like so long ago :-). i go to eastern mkt often but they're not always open when i am able to get to the market. also, i get frustrated when i do go there and am only able to get some of the items on my list and have to end up going to the grocery store for the rest. i avoid meijer's or any other grocery on the weekends, it's a mad house.

when you have limited time for shopping or a car full of kids, it's difficult to make multiple stops to purchase items needed. so, i try to shop in the city when i can but to do my serious grocery shopping, i haven't found a place that has a costco and meijer's near each other in the city.

i used to shop at harbortown a long time ago when i lived downtown. i have friends and family that can drive there in 2 minutes, some can walk there but even they can't stand that place and refuse to spend one penny in there.

does anyone go to indian village market?

Eric_c

Post Number: 722
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What do they have against Harbortown, Lugo? I'm curious, because I've never had anything but the best experiences and I've shopped there for over ten years.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1483
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>>i love zaccaro's, but i can't help but agree with the detroitist:

http://detroitist.blogspot.com /2009/02/its-wonderful-buncomb e.html<<

That blog hit the nail on the head.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1227
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A personal call from the mayor - think Kwame would've done that?

Glad to see Cockrel is paying attention to the small details as well

Lugotown

Post Number: 61
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i couldn't understand it either cause we shopped there all the time for like 6 years. the main complaints i hear are about the prices, quality of produce/food, customer service and rude management.

they have lived in the area for about 15 years and stopped shopping there about 5 years ago.

i haven't been in there in quite some time. i'm always in the area so i'll have to stop in there one day and see for myself.

Eric_c

Post Number: 723
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the reply. That's interesting. I've never been disatisfied with the store - maybe it helps that the owners have been my clients for the better part of those ten years, but I find the management to be pretty good folks, too. :-)

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4482
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Save Zaccaros

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 683
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to totally agree with Eric_c statements that its not hard to do your shopping downtown, I have lived in Lafayette Park for numerous years and buy a wide variety of grocery items.. Between,Eastern Market farmer venues, Hirts, Rockys, Gratiot Market, Avalon Bakery, Downtown Foodland, Harbortown, Honey Bee and University Foods I have a ton of variety, all within walking or short driving distance, I'm constantly scratching my head when reading the ridiculous assertations that you cant buy your food in the city.. One just has to look around you, the same as you would if you lived in Royal Oak, Ferndale or Dearborn.

Cowboytrader
Username: Cowboytrader

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cindy is no longer interested in owning/running/managing/workin g/thinking/talking/Zaccaros. She lost interest when she found out that the busniness requierd more from her than hiring inexperienced people to run the store. she went through 8 managers, more than 20 workes in six months. Dont blame Detroit, it could have made it

Troy
Username: Troy

Post Number: 102
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She was on detroit today (the other day) and mentioned that suburban organizations were willing to re-locate her for free and give her discounted rent. In that same statement she mentioned that Detroit had not offered anything and seemed not to care. Although she thought detroit was a diamond in the rough for a business. Interesting statement when it is now published that a month prior to her announcing the store closing she decided to not work with city officials that were trying to keep her business going.

Is is just me or is something fishy going on. What is she looking for and what kind of game is she playing.

I enjoy shopping at multiple locations over one giant market. This supports more employees, usually provides higher salaries, more tax revinue for the city, specialty small grocery stores provide a unique shopping experience and provides personality to the whole experience.

I enjoy Avalon for baked goods, Goodwells for organic and hard to find diet restricted items, HoneyBee for winter produce and all things mexican especially locally made items, Hirt and Rockys for specialty items, eastern market for vegetables, and university for staples / general dry goods (greatly increased selection for vegan and vegetarin options over the last 10 years of shopping there).

If more people took the approach of supporting detroit business even if that means seeking them out, going the extra mile, or paying an extra 5% then we wouldnt be asking ourselves why are these stores closing and others not opening. It is a personal thing to support local for me. I enjoy doing it even if that means sacrificing a bit if I have not been able to find a specific item in the city.

Back on topic (something smells like a rat with the refusal to talk to the city initially then going to the public stating opposite)

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9010
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for that, cowboytrader, I've heard similar from other folks who worked there.

Another entrepreneur who forgot the greatest liability in any enterprise is often the one at the top. Often the one with the gumption to start a thing is the worst to run it, those actions take very different muscles!

Cowboytrader

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cindy put Zaccaro's out of business, not the times or location.end of story

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1485
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>>I went to Meijer for the first time in six years this past Sunday and damn-near vomited; stringy-haired people in dirty sweatpants, a mother slapping her screaming kid, crammed aisles, long check-out lines.<<

And city grocery stores are different, how?

Try shopping in the off-hours. Sunday mornings at 8:00 AM are the perfect time to shop at Meijers. Stock people aren't blocking aisles while loading the shelves, screaming Godzilla babies are still at home with their parents, and the free sample folks haven't yet set up shop.

Get a cup of coffee and shop at your own pace.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1486
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen, Cowboy.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1101
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the forum Cowboy, I agree 100 percent

Bobby08
Username: Bobby08

Post Number: 125
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

U know I used to shop @ Walmart in Dearborn. Yet, I ceased due to it seemed to have turned into a cattle call for kids running all over the place, bad customer service, long lines, poor service in general. The prices were decent, however, when you add the pain of fnding a parking spot, long lines, crowds, bad service, its not worth it.

I shop @ Harbortown as well and there have been times where I expereinced poor CS service by the teenage cashiers, I even had to report one of them. Indian Village market on East Jefferson has improved yet, I dont trust the meat section at all anymore.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 684
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really find the meat vendors at the Gratiot Central Market in Eastern Market to be excellent, plus they are open most days and prices are reasonable and the meat good..I dont buy meat at any grocery store anymore, It really is the best, Some of my friends from the burbs say the same thing..

Lugotown

Post Number: 63
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i agree, best place for meats, always quick and great customer service even when they're really busy. i love the range of selection even though i usually only buy the same few things every time. eastern market reminds me of the mercados in the islands. wish we had the same warm weather year round here :-). no such luck.

Cowboytrader

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its a shame that Cindy had to go through so much just to find out what, after 80% discount, Products not to sell in her next store.

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 609
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So true Cowboy.

Lugotown

Post Number: 66
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a rticle/20080811/VIDEO/67919813 /1115

English
Username: English

Post Number: 450
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what's the status of things now? Has it closed? About to close?

Lakesuperior
Username: Lakesuperior

Post Number: 142
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i went last night about 5pm and bought a few things. the shelves were pretty bare but there was a fair amount of salad dressings, salsas, etc. i bought a bar of soap, some tea and chocolate. it was pretty awkward feeling. i've shopped there since it opened but i still felt like a vulture there for the 20% liquidation sale...

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 331
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was aghast at how amateurishly the place was run. And it now appears that, like far too many wannabee Detroit businesses, they were grossly undercapitalized. So they didn't even last as long as I thought they would.

Whining about the rent, long after you've signed the lease, just makes it more obvious that you're clueless about what it would take to even attempt to survive in this business.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 5781
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was a frequent shopper there and thought the place was nice, prices were fair on what I bought and the staff were all very nice.

I commend Ms. Warner for taking the risk. Whether or not she was prepared completely doesn't change the fact that she was silling to invest her money to try to make the place better.

I hope Zaccarros can find a way yo saty open as shopping there was an enjoyable experience for me.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 900
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never appeared to me that the place was amateurishly run. Service was always first rate with knowledgeable people. The problems appeared to stem from the business plan. Product mix, pricing, etc. In my unprofessional opinion, the store needed more everyday stuff sold competively priced as a loss leader to bring in more customers more frequently. Then, you get folks buying more of the higher margin stuff on impulse with less guilt because they have also accomplished some everyday shopping. Just a theory though. This closing sucks.

Dbc
Username: Dbc

Post Number: 187
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My wife and I went there a few times and really liked the place. Despite the complaints on this forum about product selection, service, and price, we found it absolutely comparable to similar-sized markets out here in DC. (Granted, we did not have any cheese sliced or sandwiches made, as I recall comments about long waits for those items.)

I love Detroit and miss it dearly, but I question whether a market like Zaccaro's could have survived in that location given the economy. I'm not disagreeing that she overpaid in rent and was understaffed and undercapitalized, but their product selection - including the fresh cheese, sandwiches, and coffee - and prices were akin to any upscale market I've been to in DC, Chicago, or New York. Sorry, but you don't go to places like this expecting to save money and buy mass-produced staples.

Hondo
Username: Hondo

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's not surprising it failed. i talked to cindy a few time, detroit is not northern mi, she was clueless. who needs over priced mediocre products like stonewall kitchen? every time i tried to shop there they didn't have what i need, not even buttermilk or fresh chicken, a basic. you can't run a market without being there, and what was with the really old fish in the case. maybe i can whine and get free rent

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 814
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hondo, did you even speak to the management to tell them what you were looking for? or do you just bitch like everyone else?

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 925
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awwww Rjlj, lighten up, will ya'.

Roadmaster49
Username: Roadmaster49

Post Number: 123
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1kielsondrive,
Rjij comments aren't as bad as Hondos. I am a bit suspicious of 1st time posters who are 100% negative without cogent comments. This has been a prett good post going back and forth.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.