Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Garwood Mansion » Garwood Archives » Archive through February 16, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Old_guy
Username: Old_guy

Post Number: 440
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So................ You're saying it wasn't because of the Monkey Funeral?

Gashl1
Username: Gashl1

Post Number: 126
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And I thought it was the wicked evil monkeys in the closets......go figure

Old_guy

Post Number: 441
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know Sumas was just making a point about handing over the keys, but it made me wonder, did anyone actually have a key to the house? Was it lockable? I'll bet it would have been a really snappy key, with rubies and diamonds or something.

Stillrockin
Username: Stillrockin

Post Number: 305
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still say she don't know what she talking about anybody wants to know ask me or Larry June13 .

Margie
Username: Margie

Post Number: 385
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas Sumas Sumas & Chuckels...

Ruthie...You go girl
Larry...There you go with that fancy Verbage of yours !

Margie

Post Number: 386
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Larry...I might have to copy that last statement of yours and hang it in our home...that rocks!
BTW...not the "Whew", the one before that

Gashl1

Post Number: 127
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas. I reject your reality and substitute it with my own....thank you very much!!!

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 737
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Overall you can keep your Chuckels.

Please re-read my post. What you shared appeared special. I will state again I am so glad you shared the essence of Grayhaven at the Garwood.

However, from free love, music and an open door policy if one had a few bucks for admission, many of you have turned into your parents.

Your party is exclusive, trendy and held in Ann Arbor. WTF does Ann Arbor have to do with Garwood? Now that is a chuckle I embrace.

Stillrockin

Post Number: 306
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas can you please post your photo BushMark and I have a bet going.

Old_guy

Post Number: 442
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas is right. Sorry folks, the party's off. Just go back to what you were doing.

Gashl1

Post Number: 128
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Turned into our parents!!!!!!My dad partied his ass off most of his life. Traveled the world many times. Walked out of MIT because he finished everything and was bored. Sought by MENSA, whom he told to piss off as has my brother. My mom was a living angle and could cook like you wouldn't believe.....Like our parents.....O.K. with me.......We do love ya tho Sumas

Chuckles
Username: Chuckles

Post Number: 233
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey thanks for all the commentary, its really nice to have a history you all can be proud of...
Best wishes and regards...

Chuckles

Stillrockin

Post Number: 307
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Little late to be kissing up Chuckles.

Margie

Post Number: 387
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow gies...A few waves and the F.O.G. horn really blows.What a team !!!!!!!!1

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 738
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry people, sometimes it is just too much fun to see who has the thin skin.

In my last two posts and now in this one I will repeat that you shared a special place in time.

If people don't read the entire posts and their intent, then you deserve to get teased.

If you don't like the history I relate and try to keep real, than somewhere down the way urban myth will say that your experiences were a direct evolution from the lawlessness of the Purple Gang. None of it true, but it will get written into folklore/history.

"Kill the messenger", and your story won't be told as it unfolded. I deal in in verifiable history.

I am not the person to chronicle your journey. Someone in your group will step forward to chronicle the essence of what you lived.

Believe me or not the silly stories I hear about this community from less than 100 years ago will roll over to what you experienced in your day.

As for me, "I believe in "Just the facts Ma'am, just the facts".

Isle_of_fun
Username: Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 202
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OG & Gash...I thought it was the secret tape recorder hiding in the phone booth, that the last person left there on the day of the rain storm. Right after the tornado that hit the roof landing board that everyone sat on to watch the races in the middle of the night. Or was that the fireworks.....LOL

Stonefront great list

Hey I found a phone booth and a old phone and phone holder to write messages on.
If the weather is good and my body permits I will try to take pictures soon.

Stillrockin..... how about a current pic of bushmark or Stonefront.

What a day all in all I got my 45 minute walk in , which is a great feet for me, no pun intended and I got to read about a group of great people standing up for each other. Sure did put a smile on my face, thanks

Stnfrnt
Username: Stnfrnt

Post Number: 408
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas....try this on for size. We were evicted from the mansion NOT because the Greyhaven Association invoked the SFR rule; we skated around that the same way Gar Wood did, by listing everyone as servants to the master leaseholder/owner. It was a formality that Vic and Annie Reynaud handled by actually signing a lease as husband and wife. When the 5th precinct mysteriously found 50 lbs of pot in the boiler room civil proceedings were initiated, NOT CRIMINAL. A criminal conviction would result only in a fine and there could then be no cause of action to evict.

Instead, a civil conviction enabled the courts to declare the house a "public nuisance". We got thrown out and the place was padlocked. They finally cut our nuts off. Before that happened I told the Outlaws they could have their national run at the house. We were history anyway and I knew that one of Bushmark's lifelong dreams was to spit on a real biker so I helped make that dream come true for him. You're welcome, Bushmark. Makes me warm and fuzzy all over just thinking about it.

Anyway, all that stuff I mentioned earlier was all explained to me by a judge and a couple lawyers while I was sitting in a courtroom listening to Eugene, up on the stand, tried to convince everyone that he only tried pot once while he was in college. Priceless!!

Bentspur....since you are our resident expert on things outdoors, maybe you could explain to Chuckless what happens when something gets in between a mother bear and her cubs.

Rickbeall
Username: Rickbeall

Post Number: 30
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Sumas,

I greatly appreciate the breadth and depth your research adds to this thread. Your information about the island (marsh) when Indian bodies were strewn upon it to rot, and your research into how the marsh was actually turned into an island, and your careful research of contracts and land rights, well, what can I say, it adds a depth that makes reading this thread seem more like reading a novel.

It looks like if anyone ever does write a history of Garwood Mansion during the hippie years, the 5th precinct is the place to go!

(Message edited by rickbeall on February 15, 2009)

Det313grrl
Username: Det313grrl

Post Number: 506
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW, what a day! So much emotion...

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 409
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rickbeale... I told you the 5th precinct crime reports for #1 Keelson Drive would be the motherlode for your Garwood song lyrics. Maybe Sumas can get them for you.

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 410
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy Prsidents' Day, gang. Just got off the phone with Ruth. Flak-jackets and helmets are optional.

Rickbeall
Username: Rickbeall

Post Number: 31
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I had the 5th Precinct crime reports for #1 Keelson Drive, I would probably have enough material to write a rock opera. :-()

After thinking about it a bit, and thinking of previous interactions, I think Sumas is not used to rubbing elbows with the people associated with the historical events she has researched. She thinks she owns history, whereas the people who lived it, think they own it. It is sort of like being knocked on your can by George Washington (uh, he had long hair too).

(Message edited by rickbeall on February 16, 2009)

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 927
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stn, Eventhough my younger years were not as big as yours and the Garwood folks, I too see where ya,ll are coming from. My friends even though kinda nomadic do know what is going on with each other nowdays. If we had a place like the Garwood it would end up on HGTV or DIY. That said we'd have have to hide the beerbottles and other "stuff".At my age I am ready to get rid of the "kids" and enjoy the midlife crisis.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 888
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stone, the UMMA re-opens on March 28. It'll be open while our re-union is happening. I think you'll like the new addition and galleries.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 889
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 1:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

www.umma.umich.edu. Some photos and facts.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 890
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlie Louvin @ Green Wood Coffee House A2 01-13-09

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 891
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 2:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlie Louvin @ Green Wood Coffee House, A2, 02-13-09

Al_t_publican
Username: Al_t_publican

Post Number: 152
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 4:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to a party at the Garwood mansion in the winter of 1970-71 when the place was being trashed by rock and roll stoners. A concert at the Eastown Theater on Harper and Van Dyke had just let out when word went out to meet at the Garwood mansion. The narrow steep bridge to the island was hell getting over with snow and ice on it. We tooking running attempts to cross over it and still needed some to push cars up and over.

When did the mansion fall into the hands of such nihilists? I had fun at the mansion, but I wouldn't want to have such company over at my place.

Stillrockin

Post Number: 308
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 5:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BushMark and Larry post a photo. Not that BushMark is just starting to feel good about him self after seeing gus photo.

Candy_man
Username: Candy_man

Post Number: 142
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 6:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good Mornin' Ya'll, Quote of the day: "Freedom isn't free". (unknown Patriot) Peace.