Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Gourmet market Zaccaro's has one last chance » Archive through February 16, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sg9018
Username: Sg9018

Post Number: 269
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gourmet market Zaccaro's has one last chance
Free Press,
http://www.freep.com/article/2 0090214/BUSINESS06/902140325
The market has a chance to be saved.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8987
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting.

Let's see if our interim Mayor steps up to the plate.

It will be curious to see if those who 'rebuffed' her original request can be identified and held to some responsibility.

My bet is that person is one of those 175 inner-circle folk that met at Cobo Hall when Kwhyme was feeling the tightening of the noose.

This could turn out to be the best PR gambit ever.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 690
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That article didn't sound hopeful. Sounds like she tried to get assistance from the DECG and they basically scoffed at the idea. From what I read it looks like Zacarros is on schedule to close next week.

Roadmaster49
Username: Roadmaster49

Post Number: 111
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The news of this business closing creates nothing but a false perception that the greater downtown area is incapable of supporting a store like Zaccaro's and perpetuates the myths and generalizations about Detroit's poverty and ineptitude," wrote Daniel Yowell, 27, a Brush Park resident and Detroit high school teacher."

Huh? What a bunch of socio psycho babble. I wonder if he pulls that one out everytime he wants to be quoted on a Detroit social ills inquiry.

Seems to me she is giving up fairly easy. Why not move to a different location, network to find another place. To control rents, buy a property.

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 98
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i thought his quote made sense...and it's true.

if you read the ridiculous comments readers posted online to the article in the free press, many of them say something to the effect of: "why did she ever think she could open in detroit - detroit is a dump and everyone is poor and stupid and dangerous and doesn't deserve anything nice or know what to do with it." the freepress readership who choose to comment online terrify me.

zaccaros does fill a need in our neighborhood, but needs some tweaking. her rent sounds nuts.

Lo_to_d
Username: Lo_to_d

Post Number: 108
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They just announced the $5-million urban retail loan fund on Monday, the same day she announced the closing. The owner needs to apply. I guarantee she would get it. They aren't going to just send a check in the mail to her WITHOUT AN APPLICATION.

www.detinvfund.com

The Detroit Urban Retail Loan Fund was announced Monday by the private Detroit Investment Fund and the state's Michigan Economic Development Corp. Each entity will contribute more than $2 million, organizers said. The loans, carrying interest rates from 4 percent to 9 percent, will go toward establishing new small and mid-sized retail storefronts in the Midtown, Eastern Market, Corktown, downtown and riverfront neighborhoods.

Loans will range from $50,000 to $500,000, with the "sweet spot" of loans in the $150,000 to $300,000 range, said David Blaszkiewicz president of the investment fund, which will oversee the program.

"We're looking at 20 to 30 investments over the next three to five years," Blaszkiewicz said. "We're looking at viable business plans, start-up facilities and businesses looking to open up a new location or expand."

(Message edited by lo_to_d on February 14, 2009)

Roadmaster49

Post Number: 113
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Birdie,
The actual closing and the situation revolving around Zaccaros are a micro situation. His fluffy comment is macro based. He is saying basically "There you go again, another failed business because of the way Detroit is."

Those are textbooks remarks that actually perpetuate his theory. But the owner stated it very clearly - "it's the rent". She didn't say anything about poverty, general themes of disregard by Detroiters, etc.

I agree there ought to be a roll up your sleeves response of urgency from the various programs cited BUT she needs to have a business model that will work - and I have to wonder that includes buying a storefront rather then renting.

It's called sweat equity. We assume she loves her business so it shouldn't seem like a burden. Just some thoughts. I appreciat eyour view point as well. Please expound if you care too.

Detmsp
Username: Detmsp

Post Number: 70
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

from the other thread it sounds like a loan won't fix her problems.... she needs a better business model and a loan

Birdie

Post Number: 99
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

roadmaster,
i agree with what you are saying. regarding the comment quoted in the free press, since he said "false perception," i read it as though he was bemoaning the fact that the closing would appear that way to others (which i think it does, to some, unfortunately - many people seem eager to see things in detroit fail and then blame the failing soley on the city), not that that was his reaction to the closing, per se.

i also agree that while people and organizations in the community might step up to help a failing business, the business model does need to make sense to begin with.

i didn't shop at zaccaro's as often as i might have because, although i enjoy some of the types of products they carried, the selection, pricing and service weren't always the best for me.

i'm a big booster of local, independent businesses, though, and am willing to cut them a quite a bit of slack. i really appreciate individuals going out on a limb to make an investment in detroit and i often go out of my way to support them even if they are imperfect - i'd be really pleased to see zaccaro's re-open or a similar business it its place.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4388
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe they were rebuffed because the lender didn't like their lease terms, and saw it as a bar to profitability (which seems like a rather obvious observation.) If you only have $5 mil. to play with, you should be careful about who you bank on.

I want to see this business stick around, but like Birdie says, if its replaced with something that's a bit larger and more affordable, that'd be great. Detroit residents want and need more than just high end and specialty products.

Roadmaster49

Post Number: 115
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw,
True. It would be like just helping the building owner out and eventually the business would fail, just prolonging it. That's not a good use of the funds.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2999
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats the one in the ballroom building ? I was barely aware that they opened, let alone that they are closing. Seems like 5 minutes ago.

Huggybear
Username: Huggybear

Post Number: 278
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw, Detroiters need better supermarket options but many don't want them.

The problem is not the city's failing to coddle grocers or to "support" grocery stores; the problem is that a lot of people are only interested in shopping at gas stations, Rite-Aids, and party stores. If people understood nutrition and personal economics, even normal supermarkets would be mobbed.

Zaccaro's, however, is a different story.

Roadmaster49

Post Number: 116
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Huggybear,
I agree with you as well. It's not just a Detroit thing. We live in a fast food nation. That's why the neighborhood gardens are important. Markets like Zaccaros and Whole Foods, etc go right along with that theme.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 1006
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only a subsidized store could stay open? How about a store that opens because demand and need. Consider that 50 years ago most stores in Detroit were filled because of there was a demand. The location of this store is a total gamble. But you need to be realistic about the population totals of this area and the social ill that plague the city. Who would not want a grocer in the city but how much more obvious could it be that the demand is not enough and things are worse than thought in Detroit. I think to many see the city of Detroit as what they want it to be and not what it is. Im not saying that it cant change but a whole lot needs to occur for that to happen. Like it or not there are dozens and dozens of semi rural intersections in the metro which would make so much more than this location. You cant argue that like it or not. You want to have successful markets in Detroit then you need the demand. But with failing schools, job losses, extreme poverty, homeless people, acres of vacant buildings and land, etc etc. The markets are not going to spring up just because you want them to. So go ahead and blame bad service, bad management, bad product or whatever but I say it was a gamble to begin with.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 685
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

will this store be open on wens before it closes?

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1099
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not too keep pointing out Zaccaros flaws but even high end grocers in detroit should not discriminate on who can shop there and should have allowed EBT(Food Stamps) which would have benefited the surrounding area and the profit margins of the store greatly.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1480
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If rent was the issue, why rent at such a high price? I'm sorry to see it go, but it wasn't smart to rent at such a high rate.

Now, she's looking for a subsidy?

Sorry.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3765
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This place must have had the shittiest business plan ever to have not even lasted a year.

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 174
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

French, They are staying open until all merchandise is sold.

Stromberg2

Nickstone
Username: Nickstone

Post Number: 60
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I shopped there on numerous occasions, and was always happy with my experience, though it deserves to be said that I never did my primary grocery shopping there. I have lived for many years at Trolley Plaza which made this, well, more or less convenient... especially if I wanted something upscale that I knew they had... it was easier than gambling on an upscale item on a regular trip to Meijer in Allen Park (which is where I do my general grocery shopping). What I never understood is why they didn't try to open up on the other side of 75 on Woodward to cater to Trolley Plaza, Kales (especially), all the Woodward Lofts, Park Apts, etc... those are all buildings that are full of people who want to walk places, and I think would have jumped at the chance to walk to their grocery shopping. For example, what about that big storefront on Woodward that is empty except for downward escalators? I have no idea what it ever was or most recently was, but it seems perfectly poised for a European style grocery store design (meaning a store whose layout in the US would normally be one floor but due to having to fit into a more narrow building would be laid out on more than one floor)... I mean, there's just one idea... but I'm sure there are plenty of other empty storefronts on Woodward in that block that could be perfectly suited for a grocery store. I don't get the midtown location. It never really made any sense to me. Anyway, I had been hoping this store would succeed as it would provide a blueprint for other stores of its kind in other areas of downtown. Don't know how many of you travel but other people in other cities don't have to GET ON THE EXPRESSWAY to buy groceries... and, don't get me wrong, I've gone to the grocery store in Highland Park on Woodward but... I've never felt entirely safe in my decision to leave my car out there... either way, it just seems so much easier given our current situation to hop on 94 to the Meijer in Allen Park off Oakwood, or 96 to the Meijer on Middlebelt. If there was a place that provided basic groceries within walking distance, I'd use it (no question!) and I know tons of other people at Trolley who would too... I'm sure at the other buildings in the Grand Circus Park area too.

Waymooreland
Username: Waymooreland

Post Number: 111
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Nickstone,

Ever try University Foods at Warren/Lodge in the WSU/Woodbridge area? It's a fine store; I don't understand why it gets overlooked so often in the old "Detroit doesn't have any grocery stores" laments. Anyway, U Foods is much closer than that Glory in HP, has a good selection, and is a pleasant shopping experience. It's obviously not as comprehensive as a Meijer, but you'll never find a one-stop-shop of that magnitude in an urban environment. Anyway, give U Foods a shot!

There's also Downtown Foodland in Lafayette Park now, which is smaller than University, but still pretty nice for the basics.

Lugotown
Username: Lugotown

Post Number: 52
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'll check out university foods again. i went there a few years ago after reading about them in an article. i didn't like it. maybe i'm just too picky :-).

Birdie

Post Number: 108
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i agree, waymooreland, u foods is not bad at all. i do most of my shopping there and at honey bee.

occasionally university foods' produce is a little peaked, but overall they have a wonderful selection and reasonable prices. they have really done a lot to include more organic/vegetarian/gourmet items in the last few years.

lugotown, honey bee on bagley is a great place to shop, too.

Lugotown

Post Number: 53
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have been going to honey bee more and more lately. as well as e&l. i really like the renovations honey bee did. the store looks great.

are there any others? i found a great fruit market in dearborn that's not too far. i went there and couldn't believe the total when they told me cause i had been shopping at nino's, westborn and whole foods for produce. they don't always have everything but the quality and price is pretty good. eastborn market, on wyoming, near warren. i'm surprised there aren't good ones in hamtramck, that's pretty close to me.

i rarely shop in the hp glory supermarket unless i only need a couple of things and don't feel like driving. it is pretty well stocked but you have to ck the dates on the stuff. almost always have stuff out past the date. i'm glad it's there for the area. they have a few other locations as well that seem to be ok.

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 604
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nickstone, you have a grocery store in your building.

Bobby08
Username: Bobby08

Post Number: 122
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Not too keep pointing out Zaccaros flaws but even high end grocers in detroit should not discriminate on who can shop there and should have allowed EBT(Food Stamps) which would have benefited the surrounding area and the profit margins of the store greatly"

Thats true in a sence, Yet the consumers who hold the EBT Cards would max out their funds real quick by shopping there due to the prices and resulting in no longer patronizing the store. I shopped there a handful of times and most recently on last friday. Yes, it was nice to have a with gourmet spot but at the end of the day there should have been a medium to appeal to all income levels.

Pkbroch
Username: Pkbroch

Post Number: 236
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every time I read these threads about markets, I think about the long narrow deli/bodega type markets in NYC.
Because they are small and narrow like a lot of Detroit storefronts, they usually have a long deli case where they will make a beef,cheese, ham or even veggie sandwich on your choice of bread ot roll.

They carry staples at decent for Nyc prices and fresh produce with fresh flowers.
In the warmer months they put this produce, flower selection out in front of the store.

Last summer I bought a sandwich, baked chips and a fruit juice for $ 10.00. The store I was at was full of Columbia Students and young married singles, along with neighborhood moms and kids.

To buy meat or fish there was a market on the same street. They seem to cluster matkets with bakerys and of course the Pizza place "for a slice.

The food is not as cheap as the Wal-mart on the island but is affordable even with the NY sales taxes. This is a kind of model that would work with all income levels. Start small and reasonable and think about students and folks who work at WSU and the DMC, smart folks but frugal in these times.

Lugotown

Post Number: 55
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i fell in love with a market like this that was near the nyu campus. it had an incredible salad/fruit bar, with the best mangoes. it was really long and i almost walked right by it cause it looked like a corner store until i walked all the way back. i was just talking about it with my mom the other day. will definitely be back there.

Birdie

Post Number: 110
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pkbroch, you're right - nyc-style bodegas would be a good fit for detroit and would be great to have in midtown, perhaps, especially.