Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Big Changes coming to DetroitYES « Previous Next »
Announcing the 'soft launch' of the new forum. Sunday March 8, 2009
Beta testers invited to sign up and test new forum - Click Here then click Register.}
Archive through February 19, 2009Gravitymachine30 02-19-09  8:24 am
Archive through February 19, 2009River_rat30 02-19-09  2:18 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1207
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like it is version 3.8.0

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 776
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am greatly looking forwad to the post subscription service. It would make remembering which threads I posted in a ton easier!!

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6617
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oops. I falsely assumed the new software would accept the same password I use for the old software. I guess that's not the case.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 699
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Originally posted by Raptor56:

I am greatly looking forwad to the post subscription service. It would make remembering which threads I posted in a ton easier!!

Agreed. And there will be no need to archive parts of a thread as pagination will be automatic. Plus no more worrying about simultaneously posting.

Good days ahead!

quote:

Originally posted by Jimaz:
Oops. I falsely assumed the new software would accept the same password I use for the old software. I guess that's not the case.

Lowell hasn't migrated us over yet. He just posted the link so we can get a general idea of how the site will look. He said he expects to migrate us over in the next 2 weeks.

(Message edited by Crumbled_pavement on February 19, 2009)

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1208
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And in the interim we can use the demo/playground to help each other out with this new DYes environment.

9936sussex
Username: 9936sussex

Post Number: 217
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope Lowell posts really clear instructions for how I'm supposed to "migrate"--cuz I don't have a clue right now....and I don't want to be on one side of the river waving to all of you on the other side!

Jimaz

Post Number: 6618
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Crumbled_pavement. I understand now.

I was able to open the new forum into a whole page with http://www.detroityes.com/mb/f orumdisplay.php?f=3.

A lot of these posts are archived at http://www.archive.org/index.p hp. Use their Wayback Machine there.

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2212
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

C'mon you geeks, certainly you have figured out how to escape the frames and simply load the message board frame. :-) For example I use this address for my mobile phone all the time: https://www.atdetroit.net/cgi-bin/f oroum/discus.cgi?pg=topics and it works perfectly.

With the new site that will www.detroityes.com/mb

Thank you to the ~many~ who have volunteered to beta test. I will be contacting you with logins as soon as I get a chance, but probably not until the weekend as my schedule is jammed.

Right now registration is disabled. Our main issue is the migration and its success or lack thereof. If you register now, I am not certain how that will be affected by the migration. Hopefully all the accounts will migrate with their passwords. But since the latter is stored in a hash that even I can't translate, we will have to see what happens.

Once we are ready to go live the beta posts and accounts will probably have to be wiped clean. We'll see. I am still studying it. "School's in forever."

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 2789
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tried to log onto the new site to do a quick reply but I received a reply that states " You have entered an invalid Username or Password". BALLS!

...looks like I can't type properly either.

(Message edited by GOAT on February 19, 2009)

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 532
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, if I get lost in space, let me take this opportunity to wish the best to you all!

It is hoped that I will see you on the other side...

Jimaz

Post Number: 6623
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I may as well volunteer to test too.

Is there a plan or do we all just try to break it ad hoc?

What resources do we have to work with? Source code? Manuals?

Maybe we can collect some related web sites here in preparation.

Jimaz

Post Number: 6624
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's some bug reports from http://www.vbulletin.com/.

No need to test for those.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 410
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I concur with the above poster about using "Southeastern Michigan", it's all one word. I must have been a newspaper editor in a past life, I'm forever proof-reading! Will you still have the auto-spellcheck feature?

Also, will users still have their post counts displayed? I always wondered why that was necessary or perhaps it was just a function of the software.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3907
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Start everybody's post count at 18,750 then there will be no squabbles.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1255
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Also, will users still have their post counts displayed? I always wondered why that was necessary or perhaps it was just a function of the software.

I find it useful on occasion. My interpretation of posts is based heavily on who is posting them, and I might respond differently to something posted by a newbie as opposed to someone with 5,000 posts. Also, it provides ample fodder for mocking Ccbatson. :-)
I will say that I'm somewhat mystified by all the post-count-related dick-measuring that goes on around here, however.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2295
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 7:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:

"Waiting for the Forum and Detroit to get better."

This forum is an integral part of Metro Detroit, so Detroit just got a little better. :-)

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 712
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

C'mon you geeks, certainly you have figured out how to escape the frames and simply load the message board frame.

Lowell, I'll also volunteer to help us lose the frames. Escaping the frame is not the issue. I do it all the time when opening Detroit Yes in multiple tabs. The problem is these tabs don't have the banner or sidebar menus.

It would also be much better having one domain (detroityes.com), rather than two.

I like the vBulletin choice. You can't go wrong with that.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1503
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But I LOVE avatar pics. They're so entertaining!

I'm not sure I care for the ignore feature. Isn't that a bit insular? If you don't like someone's posts, then don't read them.

I really don't care about post numbers except to welcome new members.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 541
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

L: "I'm not sure I care for the ignore feature. Isn't that a bit insular? If you don't like someone's posts, then don't read them."

I agree. Isn't a forum by definition an open discussion? If we selectively ignore posts, what's the point?

Bigb23

Post Number: 3964
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

But I LOVE avatar pics. They're so entertaining !

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 722
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A discussion is give and take, sometimes heated, but an honest and open exchange of ideas.

There are a few posters on this board who *aren't* interested in an open dialogue. They like to call attention to themselves and have shown *no* interest in an exchange of ideas.
Someone bragged about "running the board", just for its own sake (and for the sake of seeing their name in "lights"). Another poster claims to post just to get the attention of people on a completely different internet forum!

I admit that I need to spend less time responding to those types of posts and more time with the more educational, entertaining, and thought-provoking posts.

Regardless of format, I'm looking forward to content. :-)

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1222
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DYes is growing up and graduating. Hooray!

Jimaz

Post Number: 6664
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the original post:
quote:

• Central Calendar and collaborative calendars

The term "collaborative" caught my eye.

Collaboration has to me always seemed a yet-to-be-fully-realized accomplishment of the internet. Textually, there's no doubt we're a collaboration already. But has collaboration ever before been attempted in a graphic medium?

I'm envisioning a collaborative equivalent of MSPaint where members could join in collectively creating graphic imagery that might eventually be judged as works of art. Early collaborators on the Apple computer project collectively signed their artwork so this is not completely unprecidented.

There are the phenomena of apophenia and pareidolia whereby meaning is found in otherwise meaningless imagery. Imagine a group of artists collaboratively modifying, online, an image until it were honed into art. Imagine the complexity of that community.

Is anyone aware of this being done already? Where? Could we do it here?

Imagine the possibilities:

Classical Gas Video Smothers Brothers

Classical Gas Video Smothers Brothers

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1806
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know about graphical representation, but a really cool internet collaboration would be if a group of people each contributed information on various topics. We could start it right here on DY. A group of us could write down information on varying topics and then others can come along and expand it or add more information on other topics. With the ease of the internets, I can really see this catching on to the mainstream.

Jimaz

Post Number: 6665
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sarcasm noted.

I'm only asking where this has yet been done. That information has yet to be supplied.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1263
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimaz, are you talking online graphical collaboration within an internet forum like DYes?

(Message edited by vetalalumni on February 24, 2009)

Jimaz

Post Number: 6666
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vetalalumni, that would be nice but I don't expect it of DetroitYES.

It would be nice if it were available somewhere on the internet but I have yet to discover it.

Have you any suggestions?

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1264
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 1:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MS NetMeeting allows sharing of whiteboards and MS apps like MS Paint. Called MS Meeting Space in Vista. Thick client app, and all participants probably need the same app installed locally. Google it.

Also, vBulletin has a nice chat feature that might be available on DYes.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1811
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jim, I wasn't sure if I was being too subtle or not. I should have given you the benefit of the doubt, I know you're smart enough. Obviously it has been done in a literary sense, I haven't seen it in a graphical sense, though. Basically, I got nothing. Except sarcasm.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1268
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^ The sarcasm was not wasted on me :-)

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1341
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the status of our migration to the next generation DetroitYES?

DYes 2.0

Lowell

Post Number: 2242
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The soft launch is on. Sign ups for testing are being accepted.

Click Here then click Register.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1785
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was about to register for the soft launch, but then thought about shortening my SN to Flanders or changing it to a different SN entirely, since it may be my only chance to do so, unless I can do so again when the changeover is completed.

But then, before I was about to register, I read this on the beta board:

Beta testers are now invited to sign up and test the new forum software. Share your discoveries here. Please use you current usernames which are reserved for you alone.

This raises a few questions, such as whether or not previously banned SNs will be able to register under a new SN, unless their IP bans can be carried over to the new format? Do I need to carry over my current SN because it is reserved? Will I be able to change it later? Do I need to register using the same email address that I used to originally register on 01/08?

Bigb23

Post Number: 4144
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell - is there going to be a "leave by" date, to exit this forum ? When will this forum we're on now, disappear, if at all ?
And I have a library of photos I've used on here. Can I still use them without a url to copy and paste ?
Or if somebody else knows, please post. Although I lurk in other forums, this is pretty much the only one I post on.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1377
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DYes 2.0 looks great. It is fun trying out the new features and capabilities.

Lowell

Post Number: 2245
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigb23, the old forum will remain in one form or another - frozen in time like its archives now. Hopefully the import works and the current forum posts plus the hall of fame will copy over to the new database along with the user accounts.

Thanks to all the 'explorers' now blazing the trails in the new forum, like Vetalalumni and others.

We are trying as best we can to keep the experience as close to as it is now, but with the benefit of many new features and conveniences.

Jimaz

Post Number: 6784
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Republica - Ready to go

Republica - Ready to go

would make a great theme song for the new DetroitYes. It's not Motown but it's industrial, automotive-themed, energetic and "In your face."

Who's more "ready to go" than Detroit?

(Message edited by Jimaz on March 12, 2009)

Jimaz

Post Number: 6785
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They can't keep censoring 3000 years of art. It's too important to squelch.

(Message edited by Jimaz on March 12, 2009)

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 955
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With the limited posting I do these days, I opted not to sign up for the beta test, remaining a non-registered user. One issue I have noticed is that picture attachments show as links, and require a log-in to view. Imagine the 'Old Car Factories' thread being locked up where no one but members could see it. How many people joined up just because of threads like this, that they wanted to add their thoughts, ideas, and experiences? Without those pictures, they would have been just as likely to move on.

I do feel that the layout (including what is outside the forum software itself) will need some tweaking, for example, how many 'Discuss Detroit, Connect, Non-Detroit' etc links do we need across the top (below the banner). I'm assuming some are temporary until the entire forum is moved over, but still, there's too much duplication. Assuming the old forums links are deleted eventually, you still have the following:

Two links labeled 'FAQ', and one labeled 'How-Tos'. These should be merged.

A link for 'Join' and a link for 'Register'. Why both?

Not as important, but something to consider, with the 'breadcrumbs' and the 'forum jump' at the bottom, are the links to the other boards even necessary? This duplication drops the content two inches below the banner. Currently, it is less than one inch, and that is WITH the beta invite and best books poll! Also, can the size of the 'breadcrumbs' text be reduced, to further reduce the two inch drop? Whatever you can do to improve that top two inches will pay off in the end. Some links are necessary and useful, but all unnecessary links - especially - duplication just clutters the page and moves the most important things further and further off the page.

I'd also consider re-working the left side links to make them more pertinent.

'About this site' and 'Contact' could be merged.

'Site guide' - why does this exist? It provides no additional content that is not already available through other links.

'Support this site' could be made MUCH more useful - the word 'support' brings to mind 'donate'. Although you do accept donations, it creates a barrier to those who may very well be interested in buying something from the DetroitYES store. Links that provide value to BOTH you and the members shouldn't be hidden! The more links you have, the more the value of each is reduced, so keep it to a minimum!

'Search Site', although different from the forum search at the top, does nothing to truly differentiate itself. I think this goes further than just this link - The entire site layout is somewhat confusing. Is DYes just the forum? is it the entire site? What's done to make it clear that there is more here than just the forum? I'd be willing to bet that if you took a survey, few would know of the rest of the content you maintain here. (I've been here for some time, and know little of it - It's too easy for me to overlook it.)

Short version of all this is, there's too much going on. Eliminate duplication. Merge similar pages. Simplify. Ask yourself of each link, what value does it provide? Can it provide more?

Keep in mind, this is all from a non-registered user standpoint. Perhaps things look different when logged in, although I've tried to keep it to things that seem like they would be the same regardless.

And none of this is 'complaining', just suggestions on how you could make the site work better for both you and visitors to the site. :-)

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1437
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, what target date have you set for the cut-over to the new DYes 2.0?

Ladia
Username: Ladia

Post Number: 229
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm confused by the separate forums with the same name,sometimes i click discuss detroit,and it's another forum with a few posts and apparently i'm not registered there.I have to keep clicking different discuss detroit icons until this one pops up.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1441
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Lowell, what target date have you set for the cut-over to the new DYes 2.0?

Are you waiting for greater beta participation before cutting over? Anything I or others can do to expedite or assist?

Jackie5275
Username: Jackie5275

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I couldn't figure it out to post.

Lowell

Post Number: 2259
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am hoping to do a test import over the weekend. Ideally I can, at the least, transfer the user accounts. Otherwise we will all have to sign up again.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1446
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^ No problem about signing up all over again. Plan your work, and work your plan.

I have migration and both PHP and MySQL experience, so if you care or need to, contact me via private messaging on the DYes 2.0 side. I'm also available this weekend via instant messaging.

Thanks Lowell :-)

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1449
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Update?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.