Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through February 19, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5820
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll need a couple days to work off the pistachio, and then we'll talk.

Mkap
Username: Mkap

Post Number: 75
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sander's Bumpy Cake is the best!

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 681
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

+1 on the Bumpy Cake.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 391
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey slackers, where have all ya been? tis not on the time clock now - what's new with ya? question and call out - who got the worst punishment from one of our old penguins and what was it for? sucking a bar of camay doesn't count.

Eastburn

Post Number: 682
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had a postulant teaching our 3rd grade class. For some reason she was displeased with me and broke her pointer across my backside. Not too exciting that, in the grand scheme of things.

Jcole

Post Number: 5832
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Which one of Sr. Ellen Richard's tortures do you want to know about: the one where she taped my mouth shut with masking tape, wrote 'Talker' on it and made me stand in front of the class for an hour, the one where she made me kneel on the floor with a stack of encyclopedias held out in front of me straight armed or the time she put the gum on the end of my nose and made me stand at the blackboard with my nose in a chalk circle for an hour? You choose

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2704
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My only memories of these elegant instrutors were ones of happiness and bliss, are you guys sure you went to the same school?

12468_laing

Post Number: 393
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i also remember standing in a corner in the front of the room having to hold a piece of chalk between my nose and the wall - that was because i couldn't hold the unabridged dictionary in my outstretched hands while bending down keeping my back straight. seems i remember seeing z with one of those smiles on his face while skipping down the halls saying, "they didn't catch me, they didn't catch me". anyone else see that?

Mkap

Post Number: 76
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC - "Birds of a feather flock together!" Sister ER (was that her initials or was that where she sent students) was no Mother Theresa.

I always heard that those who sang in the choir were exempt from all punishment. That true Z?

(Message edited by mkap on February 18, 2009)

Zitro

Post Number: 2705
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah right. Don't forget we used to get out an 15 minutes earlier each day than everyone else and most of the nuns used to resent that and would make sure they made up for it in different ways. I always wondered where the Vietnamese used to get their torture tactics from, it all seems obvious now.

Jcole

Post Number: 5834
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they taught a 'Torture Techniques' class at the convent. Sr. Ellen Richards was the instructor

Mkap

Post Number: 77
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC - I know what you mean. I still wake up in the middle of the night screaming and in a cold sweat at times. To this day I will not talk about it with my wife. Outsiders just don't understand. Ya know?

Oldertimer
Username: Oldertimer

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that the NIKE missile site was located on Belle Isle. It was a bone of contention.Because according to the peace treaty that ended the War of 1812, there are never to be fortifications or armed naval vessels (patrolling) on the Great Lakes.

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 522
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

12468_laing----I was nine years old and sent to Sr. Pat's office and she had a large paddle with holes and I got 20 on my bare backside. I have no idea what I did or that it could have been bad enough to warrant that. I don't believe in hitting children in any way shape or form.

Jcole

Post Number: 5835
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, MKap, it is a very private fear. I still duck when I see a long white dress on someone with long black hair.

Older, I've done some googling about the Nike site, and I can't find any inkling of one at Heilmann, but there were a couple otheres. The one that comes to mind was near Conner Creek. Just google 'Nike missle sites MI' and someone has compiled a list of them. Actually, here's a link Nike sites. Scroll down about half way for Michigan

Zitro

Post Number: 2706
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had to dig this one out of the archives for our fond recollection of Sr. Ellen Richard.

My last name is Richard
My first name is Ellen
And iffen you don't comply with me you all go to hellin'
My imminent domain is room one hundy
My life's in the dark where there ain't no sunny.
If I'm cachin' you a goofin' I will give you "The Look"
You be standin' in the back wiff an arm full of book.
I demandin' some respect from this room full of apes.
If I catch you a talkin' spect you a mouth full of tape.
One thing I know is that 40 year later.
Sis Ellen be the one so don't be a nun hater.

Peace out!

Eastburn

Post Number: 683
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recall the Nike site on Belle Isle, OT.

Now that I think of it, I don't remember the Heilmann "army camp" being a Nike site. It did have anti-aircraft guns, though.

12468_laing

Post Number: 394
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tell ya what's funny. if teachers would do today to our children, and I know most or all of us have/had children in school what they did yesterday to us, how many lawsuits would be filed? man, how times change - give me one of those cupcakes with a nickle in it.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1342
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Poll question for all: What was the most severe/outrageous discipline, physically or emotionally you recall given to yourself or another student while at St. Jude and/or high school? Let's see who gets the Sam Bernstein award.

Zitro

Post Number: 2707
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emotionally is was being threatened to be taken in Frank's Boiler room and be hooked up to the lie detector in the first grade. Physically it was Jim Denys getting a pointer cracked over his knuckles and it breaking in two. Second was Mr. Dull slapping Mark Ulatowski open handed in the face in front of the whole class.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1343
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

physically it was a freshman getting closed fist round house sucker punched in the face by a priest at ND for goofing around during phys ed. (I thought the priest broke his hand)

Emotionally, it was witnessing the principal (Sr. Patricia Marie) being called in to read out loud in front of the 8th grade class a confiscated love letter written by a recently transferred student to her boy friend. She had a real difficult time making new friends and trying to assimilate to her new surroundings. But she did not break while the letter was being read....I thought good for her.

Jcole

Post Number: 5836
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Physically, I'd have to say it was the time in first grade that Sr. Daniel Michael cracked Steve Droulliard across the back of the head with one of those rulers with a metal strip in it, and broke it, for talking in class.
Emotionally, it was the time Sr. ER called my mother into class because I couldn't draw perspective properly, so I had to spend the Sunday of the St. Jude Bazaar sitting in my kitchen, drawing road after road with little barns and houses along them until I got it right, and then was forbidden to go to the bazaar and was told I was too stupid to be allowed out. Technically, it was my mother's punishment, but Sister started the ball rolling.

St_juder
Username: St_juder

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sjtunnelgang I can assure you that I'm indeed G.T. and I think I would recall entering a monastery . I also never married Mar kay or any Hendricks . The person that married Mary Kay was a friend whose first name is Kieth. I do talk to the Muz and the Bradleys once in awhile. I think jcole will vouch for me . I too did the chalk and dictionary squat as well as getting my knuckles smacked with the metal edge of the ruler by Mrs. Knoll in the 4th grade . I was also a permanent member of the sunset club with Mr. Kennedy.
Of course some was deserved like the time we all faked reading out loud to mess with Sister Deadfish and her hearing aid. It was going perfectly until the radiator made a sound.
After her swift departure Mr. Joseph came in and told us how bad we were. Looking back now he was right,but at the time......

12468_laing

Post Number: 395
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, talk about memories. I was also a member of Mr. Kennedy's Sunset Club - St_juder, we had to have been in his class together. I remember being in Deadfish's class and a couple of us would hum together and get a kick out of her hitting her hearing aid trying to get the hum out of it. zitro, both of those incidents I seem to remember - I was in Scouts with Ulatowski and I knew Denys pretty well. Jcole, could she have been Sr. Dominic Michael? I had her in second grade. Steve had a younger brother David who was in my class. I can remember an experiment Mr. Joseph had us guys do in science class. He wanted to see how fast heat moved through copper, so he had us hold a strip of copper, then heat it with a blow torch to see who could hold it the longest. Seems there were quite a few blisters on fingers and thumbs.

Jcole

Post Number: 5837
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

we all faked reading out loud to mess with Sister Deadfish and her hearing aid

Ahh, Sr. Marie Christine,8th grade art. You buys stole that ploy from the class of '70. We got busted by Roger too. Man, she bought it AGAIN??

Jcole

Post Number: 5838
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laing, I think we went through this before. Sr. Daniel Micheal, RM. 102, First Grade. No one but me seems to remember her, but her name is listed in the St. Jude's jubilee pamphlet that CFG posted. She later went back to the name Sr. Joan Sopha

Jcole

Post Number: 5839
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, and I vouch for St_Juder

Zitro

Post Number: 2708
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I vouch for JC

12468_laing

Post Number: 396
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i stand corrected.

Eastburn

Post Number: 684
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I vouch for Z.