Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Garwood Mansion » Garwood Archives » Archive through February 19, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Stnfrnt
Username: Stnfrnt

Post Number: 418
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hiwatt...your post #5 is so freaking right on the money it's scary!

You're supposed to go to jail if you're in a rock n roll band, aren't you. Hell, the roadies do it all the time. Green spacesuits in an airport works every time.

Sh*t howdy, Candy!

Old_guy
Username: Old_guy

Post Number: 443
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody know anything about this little ditty I ran across on the web?

Creem’s Canadian Connection
An Interview with Alan Niester

By Andrew Lapointe

Barbeques and weekend trips with Lester Bangs, dangerous encounters on Cass Avenue in Detroit, and the shenanigans of Richard Meltzer: These are just some of the memories rock critic Alan Niester has of Creem magazine.

Niester is a native of Windsor, Ontario, but grew up with his eyes buried in the rock rags from the States, such as Crawdaddy! and Fusion. In the early ‘70s, he began freelancing for Creem and Rolling Stone, which meant traveling to the seedy area of Detroit where Creem was located. Alan has some fond and, incidentally, some strange memories of his time at “America’s Only Rock ‘n’ Roll Magazine.”

An excerpt from the interview;
Andrew: Did you ever hang out with Richard Meltzer?

Alan: Yeah, yeah. Richard of course was from New York--then California--so we didn’t see him very often, but there were a couple of memorable times when Richard came and he was quite a character. I remember very specifically a press party, there was this old mansion on the Detroit River called the Gar Wood Mansion, Gar Wood having been a speed boat racer in the 1930s or something, and his mansion sat over the river but the city had taken it over, and Kim Fowley had just recorded an album and was doing a press party, and they actually rented the Gar Wood Mansion for it--it was a big, spooky old place. And I remember Meltzer being there and I think that was the first time I ever met him, and there was a big buffet table for all the press, and Richard actually got up, stood on the table, and urinated into the punch bowl or the shrimp salad or something. That was basically my introduction to Richard; he was a pretty bizarre guy, much more so than Lester. Also, I remember when Nick Kent came from England. The only thing he would eat here was Sara Lee chocolate layer cake, like 3 or 4 times a day.

Any Garwoodians have any memories about this? I don't. Could it possibly be an historical mistake of some sort?

This is the whole interview, but there isn't anything else about the Garwood.
http://rockcriticsarchives.com /interviews/alanniester/alanni ester.html

Gashl1
Username: Gashl1

Post Number: 136
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nah, no chance OG...It must have happened that way ....after all. don't you have "Histoical Records" proving that it happened....So there can be absolutely no other explaination.....well maybe the truth ... Nah....we stick with the facts ma'am, just the facts, and the record state that it happened....

Old_guy

Post Number: 444
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gw1.gif

gw2.gif

gw3.gif

Stillrockin
Username: Stillrockin

Post Number: 312
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That really happen ask Sumas she will tell you all about it NOT

Bentspur
Username: Bentspur

Post Number: 65
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It did happen but we were not aware of it going on because we were all down by the river at the burial at sea for the monkey. I remember we sat there for hours waiting for the little monkey to sink. Then when we got back in the house we wondered who had set up the big buffet. I thought the shrimp salad tasted a little funny

Margie
Username: Margie

Post Number: 388
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Old_guy

Post Number: 445
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That makes sense.

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 419
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember an album release/press party for Kim Fowley and the buffet stuff; I don't remember anybody pissing in the punch bowl. Check with Stillrockin on that. I think Gash said he and Hoover tossed one of Alice Cooper's guys for doing something along those lines.

Candy_man
Username: Candy_man

Post Number: 144
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The punch that I recall was electric Kool Aid.

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 420
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good night, John Boy.
peace

Margie
Username: Margie

Post Number: 389
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stone...
Tell me the story behind "Cowgirl in the Sand"

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 421
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Basically, it's about a high school cheerleader type girl who thinks she's hot shit; then she gets old and discovers she ain't. Devastating. That's actually a Niel Young song.

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 422
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Record Mike's name is Mike Keleher. GOT to find him!!

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 423
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What do those #s mean in the archive table?

Stillrockin

Post Number: 313
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey who's going Travis the chimpanzee funeral?

Rickbeall
Username: Rickbeall

Post Number: 34
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The owners friend won't be able to be a pall bearer. That's one off the list. She has no hands.

(Message edited by rickbeall on February 18, 2009)

Old_guy

Post Number: 446
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better call in Bentspur on this one. The woman said she gave the Chimp a glass of wine and some anti-anxiety pills before her friend stopped over? Is there another Garwood in a parallel universe playing out as we speak?

Gashl1

Post Number: 137
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd go but I'm delivering speach for GM Re; Bail-out money....Sorry
Hey Hiwatt....glad to hear from you again.... Sory I missed you last week when I was up there in the great north.....It was a fantastic lil jam session with Gleeman and Picard....Everything from "David- to Patsy Clines "Crazy"....lots of fun.......HEY******115 DAYS******and counting..........give or take....GDGT

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 424
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 3:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How would you park?

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 425
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 4:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Gash......have you seen that one tall, brown Appalachan woman with her hair stretched out to the east wind running around down there yet?

Heard from D.K. Bradley the rhythm king earlier. Said he's got 5 (count em, five) conga drums just a waitin for Niel, Margie and the gang to get the old circle heated up. Man, we're gonna need some after hours action.

Ruth
Username: Ruth

Post Number: 139
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 7:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey - I just got a note from D. Bradly too! He found us!!!! How cool

Chuckles
Username: Chuckles

Post Number: 237
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 7:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stillrockin, I'm not kissing up to anyone or anything, I still think it is nice to have a history you are proud of and can share and enjoy with your friends, wonderful...just because it was perverted, drug crazed, irresponsible, liberal, hippy and generally depraved... so what....

life goes on..eh

regards

Gleeman
Username: Gleeman

Post Number: 67
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm back folks...missed a bit when I went up North without the power cord for my laptop and the batteries emptied...so glad to hear from HiWatt (didn't know u were such a thug) (will email)
... Jeep ? - amazing .. Stn, let's see-I'm trying to make sense of that shark photo...a runaway shark got busy eating milkcrates while you were having breakfast in your bathrobe ?

SR..won't be long...

Darrell ?(sp?)-can't wait to hear the congas talkin' ...

Gashl1

Post Number: 138
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stnfrnt....Yeah...She can stand by your side through eternity, and the snow princess is her twin....oohh she goes shining brightly, all across the crystal sea....etc, etc....Brinsley Swartz......... WOW Darrel....Fantastic....Can Eddie be far behind.........

Gleeman
Username: Gleeman

Post Number: 68
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ru...just curious...HOW the h did Darrell find the thread ?

Bentspur

Post Number: 66
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm on my way to the monkey funeral. I am also taking up a collection for flowers. Just ask Ruth for my address and send cash only. Try to get it out today so I can get a nice arrangement for the little guy. Poor Travis the chimpanzee. Seems to me that those monkeys can not handle drugs very well. I could of told the lady that, from my experience.

Whaler
Username: Whaler

Post Number: 151
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Ya all...Did you see the interview with the Owner(Woman) Poor Travis my ass..The Chimp Dined on Lobster and Filet..He also dressed for dinner..Had a glass of wine..and she took bathes with the Poor Thing...Meanwhile the woman attacked lost both Eyes and her Chin...Bentspur what a funeral that will be..I bet more extrvagant the The Garwood Monkey...I wonder if there will be a Lunchon at the Wake..hahahaha this is too much ..

Stillrockin

Post Number: 314
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It sounds like TRAVIS was getting more action than Larry.

Bentspur

Post Number: 67
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought the Garwood monkey had it pretty good to. He smoked the best hash, lived in a mansion on the river, Listened to some of the best bands in the world (Live) and went to some of the biggest parties in Detroit. I'm not sure about his sex life but you never know. He might have gotten to the turkey before the dog got it.