Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through February 19, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5841
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's okay, you can sit corrected if you'd like

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 397
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

in the corner as usual with a bar of camay in my mouth. still hate using that brand.

Jcole

Post Number: 5842
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was cheap. That's why they used it

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2709
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Question for the group: What event lead to there no longer being a need for the portables to be used? My best guess on when they would have been taken down would have been around 1965 or so. It had to be either a drop in enrollment (which I doubt). An addition to the school, or the rooms up in the gym being converted to class rooms.

12468_laing

Post Number: 398
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

personally i can't remember the portables. my older sister, class of '69, had one of her classes upstairs in the gym I think in her 6-7 grade. can't remember for sure. I don't think enrollment started going down till close to the 80's. Thoughts?

Jcole

Post Number: 5843
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was an addition on the Maddelein side behind the gym
Here's a 1961 pic

Here's 1981

(Message edited by jcole on February 19, 2009)

Mkap
Username: Mkap

Post Number: 78
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z - Don't know the year, 65 sounds about right. They were removed when the addition was complete I believe.
And I always stand corrected, just ask my kids!

12468_laing

Post Number: 399
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, that's why i don't remember the portables. i was a pup in 1st or 2nd grade when they were there. summer of 65 for me was between 2 & 3 grade great pictures - any way of zooming in on the patio in the rectory??????

Jcole

Post Number: 5844
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a link to the aerial photos of most of SE Michigan. They zoom pretty good, but not down to the yellowest tulip in the priest's garden

Jcole

Post Number: 5846
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's an aerial of Heilmann park, or whatever it was called then, in 1949. It looks like it still has kind of a military style to it. No swings or skating rink anyway

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2710
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you look at that field closely it kind of has a Shroud of Turin appearance to it. The mouth is in between Coram and Novara

Jcole

Post Number: 5847
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see it!!
That's actually Lappin and Coram, because when I cut it, I included SJ Playfield on the bottom there, so it starts at 7 Mile

12468_laing

Post Number: 400
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that explains it all - all the trouble we got in there, there had to be someone watching out for us. yep, explains it all.

Okie_nana_55
Username: Okie_nana_55

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been reading this site since early January, and it brought back so many memories. Yes, I graduated in 1964. Also would love to know who posted that birthday party picture, because I think I am in it, even my husband thought it was me.

Hw1975
Username: Hw1975

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just found this forum yesterday and have been reading it ever since, even the archived ones. These postings have brought back many memories and have made me laugh and cry!!
I remember that Fr. Ording used to come into the classrooms and had out report cards. He used to really mess up people's names but I am still not sure if he did it on purpose or not?
Anyone else remember this? Think he did it on purpose or was he really having trouble pronouncing name?

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 685
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome, Okie & HW.

I don't think Fr. Ording did it on purpose & hadn't remembered that though your mention of it tugs a string somewhere in the back of my mind.

We're kind of proud that this thread is currently the largest thread on DY. New folks will help keep it going.

If you haven't yet done so, check out the St. Jude page on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/home.p hp?ref=home#/pages/Detroit-MI/ St-Jude-Roman-Catholic-Parish/ 13026593213?ref=ts

There's a lot of neat stuff on there. One of our own has prowled the halls (& tunnels) of the old place with his video camera. Pretty interesting.

Hw1975

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the welcome Eastburn!
I have been on that page too!!! The picture someone posted of the Class of 1970 has my brother's picture on, I recognized him right away cuz of his "groovy" hair! He lives in Montana now but I am going to e-mail him the link to this because I think he will enjoy it too

Tsomyak
Username: Tsomyak

Post Number: 101
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hw, what year did you graduate?

Hw1975

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I graduated in 1971...what about you, what year?

Okie_nana_55

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the welcome.
Does anyone know what years of graduates are represented on this site? I had Sr. Ellen in 8th grade and the nun that taught band with Miss Bach in the seventh grade, we were above the gym, and when I was in 6th grade I was in the tin buildings. Whenever I tell people where I went to school, I call it military school. I remember safety guards posted every few feet on the sidewalk, keeping kids in lines and no talking on the school grounds. Does anyone else remember that?

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 687
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I represent the old guard, having graduated in 1958. Not sure who is the latest grad.

Speak up, youngsters.

Hw1975

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I graduated in 1971. Not sure if that's considered "young" anymore...I know today I feel "old"

Hw1975

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okie...I think you probably graduated before me. I do not remember temporary classrooms, they were probably gone by the time I started. I do remember: walk in single file, no talking until you got off school property. That also went for when you walked in the school hallways! And most of the corners had "safety boys" to cross you. I was a "safety girl", all I can remember about that is sitting in a lower grades class while they ate lunch, I guess we were supposed to keep them in line while the teacher ate her lunch. I don't think I was very good at it!

Okie_nana_55

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny you should mention lunch, as I was thinking who watched us while we ate, and what did we do for fun after lunch. I don't remember any swings etc. I too was a safety girl, who monitored the sidewalks. What year did you graduate in?

Hw1975

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I graduated in 1971. My brother graduated in 1970 and one of my younger sisters graduated in 1973

Okie_nana_55

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember going past and sometime stopping at a little party store on my way to school. I
lived on State Fair. I am sure it is gone, I often wonder what the neighborhood is like now.

12468_laing

Post Number: 401
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hw1975, i graduated in 71 also. was in boy scouts and got eagle, was a lector, had a sister 2 yrs before me. went on to denby - grad in 75, went to wayne state and grad in 79. my initials are sm. would love to know who you are. this forum is amazing. give me some background as to who you are.

Hw1975

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if you graduated in 71, we were classmates, I'm female, so you wouldn't remember me from cub scouts :-). In 4th grade I was in Mrs. Knoll's class, that really tiny classroom near the supply closet. In 8th grade, I had Mr. Joseph for homeroom. I played on the girls basketball team in 8th grade, suprising cuz I'm only 5'2", but then I think everyone who tried out made the team. Our coach was named Olga Otavianni. I was extremely shy in grade school, have red hair, my initials are CM.
I assume from your username that you lived on Laing. I lived in Harper Woods.

Hw1975

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay laing, where'd ya go...no fair pulling out old class pictures to figure out who I am!!
How about some clues to your identity?

Sjtunnelgang
Username: Sjtunnelgang

Post Number: 38
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St Juder....in order to validate [vouch] your claim as G.T....we need one correct answear for this question from the "hood".
I appreciate Jcole's vouch for you,but can you verify Jim Mazzola's nickname only a select few knew?
A little hint to help shake off the dust of time...... --p-y ???