Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Garwood Mansion » Garwood Archives » Archive through February 22, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Det313grrl
Username: Det313grrl

Post Number: 522
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rickbeall
Username: Rickbeall

Post Number: 35
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dear FOG,

It's done!

Hoover returns to Garwood Mansion one more time! At least in song.

Who does he let in this time?

What's he doing in the attic and the fuse room?

Grab those bottles of Boonesfarm and Ripple, the
heavy mahogany door swings open one more time.

Hoover was a Mover
-------------------
http://jamq.org/jamqueuemusic/ StHiJ16Q09_HooverwasaMover_ByR ick-Rick_KeyG.m3u
(Normal mouse Left Click to listen)

http://jamq.org/jamqueuemusic/ StHiJ16Q09_HooverwasaMover_ByR ick-Rick_KeyG.mp3
Right click to download)

Personally, I want to add that I will enjoy your criticism good and "bad" --I have a nice turtle-like, thick skin.

Once again, I just want to thank you guys for letting me have more more toke from the History Bong.

Stnfrnt
Username: Stnfrnt

Post Number: 439
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Old_guy
Username: Old_guy

Post Number: 456
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't resist this stuff. It's like the velvet paintings of dogs playing poker.

jl.gif

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3985
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Det313grrl - that monkey is earning his beer.

Det313grrl

Post Number: 523
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dude...

Bigb23

Post Number: 3987
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigb23

Post Number: 3988
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish I had feet like that. Now what could I do with them ?

Gleeman
Username: Gleeman

Post Number: 74
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Det313grrl... not sure which is funnier, the "dude" shot or Bigb's... anyway...are those animated gif's that you're doing in photoshop ?
Now I'm on a quest...

Det313grrl

Post Number: 526
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gleeman, I've found these doing image searches. I just right click and safe them. I look for ones that will be small enough to post here. I can take no artistic credit for them. Just a good search.

Margie
Username: Margie

Post Number: 394
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rockinrona
Username: Rockinrona

Post Number: 40
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Candy we can move this over to Peach Island and have bike and boat races around it every weekend in the summer.Weather permitting rr

Beenthere
Username: Beenthere

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hoover -- Pole Dancers? What happened to the Hula Girls?

Sorry, I'm a little behind....

(I'm "dial-up". However, I have one of those little WiFi antennas that you connect to your USB, so unless I want to spend hours waiting for this site to load, I have to wait for the free/open WiFi sites in my area to be available).

Hey, I know someone has contacted Captain Nemo, does anyone know if he's planning on joining us in June? And, has anyone found Dancer Dan or John Messina? I know where Record Mike lives (I was the one who brought him to the Garwood)but he seems to be out of touch. Phone unlisted, I wrote to him but got no answer. I know he's there, just doesn't respond. I'll keep trying.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 898
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Cap'n Nemo', 'Cap'n Ahab', McDonald is well aware of our planned events. He has yet to commit to attending. We'll have to lean on him. I'll talk to him again this week and see what's up.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 899
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 2:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen, thanks for the correction and links. I caught the boo boo right away but was unable to react quickly enough to get a clarification out there. The links are a big help because I haven't seen or heard either Martha Jean, 'The Queen' or Norma Jean for a long time. I must've known of 'The Queens' passing, but it escaped me nonetheless. Listened to her in high school with Robby D and 'Frantic' Ernie Durham as well as ...... I'm thinking it was Robby D that billed himself as the 'Blue Eyed Soul Brother' on WCHB(D)???, the 'Sound of Soul'. Norma Jean used to play in 'Jays' in the Pick Fort Shelby(which, btw, just re-opened recently) in the mid-70's and much later at Doug's Body Shop in Ferndale. She's lately reputed to be doing work with a number of Detroit techno musicians.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 900
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 2:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OG, some of the finest pastrami is available a couple of miles away at Zingerman's Deli. We can even call Metro Delivery if we happen to drop, er, I mean, take too much vitaminnies (Soupy's term), thereby becoming incapacitated and unable to crawl to the deli.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 901
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, Breeze will NOT answer his phone. I know the neighborhood he lives in but don't have his address, so I'm unable to go and knock on his door. Lil'Breeze and Greynoodle, tell Breeze to answer up so Sammy Wickizer and I can visit him and his family.

Stillrockin
Username: Stillrockin

Post Number: 323
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anne it's funny Sammy Wickizer was asking about Hoover's hula girls I made change on my dancer from Hula girls to pole dancer. thanks for asking. Where is Victor tell him to call me?

Stillrockin

Post Number: 324
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the Garwood set your watch back 40 years.

Rickbeall

Post Number: 37
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grab a bottle of Boone's Farm, the Hoover Parody song is done.

Hoover was a Mover <----New song!
------------------------------
http://jamq.org/jamqueuemusic/ StHiJ16Q09_HooverwasaMover_ByR ick-Rick_KeyG.m3u

http://jamq.org/jamqueuemusic/ StHiJ16Q09_HooverwasaMover_ByR ick-Rick_KeyG.mp3
(Right click to download)

Start a Revolution <---- Earlier song about Garwood Mansion
-------------------------
http://jamq.org/jamqueuemusic/ StLoJ14Q09_StartaRevolution_By Rick-Rick_KeyG.m3u

http://jamq.org/jamqueuemusic/ StHiJ14Q09_StartaRevolution_By Rick-Rick_KeyG.mp3
(Right click to download)

Stillrockin

Post Number: 325
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In wine there is wisdom
In beer there is freedom
In water there is bacteria

Stnfrnt
Username: Stnfrnt

Post Number: 440
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rickbeall... OOUUUTTT!@#$%^&*FF@#$%KING%STA NDING!!!!! Just great! Nice arrangement and the ending will be...................well, don't want to give it away here. I think Bushmark or Gus could brew you up some Boone's Farm-XX just for grins. Course, there's always Hoover's legendary 'Mushroom Red' but since NASA confiscated his stash for use in their 'space' program it might be a little hard to come by. Anyway....well done!

If that youngster in the photo (great pic) is family, just be aware at all times of who we're dealing with here.

Rickbeall

Post Number: 38
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Stnfrnt,

The picture of the guy drinking the Boone's Farm is just a random picture from the internet. I just threw a caption on it.

Thanks, I'm really glad you liked the Hoover song!

It was not easy finding a 16 year old who squealed with delight whenever I flashed pictures of Hoover at her.

(Message edited by rickbeall on February 22, 2009)

Rickbeall

Post Number: 39
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For anyone who's interested, here are the lyrics to "Hoover was a Mover".

Hoover was a mover,
Hoover was a mover,
Hoover was a mover.
Who's Hoover?

Hoover was the guy
with the bedroom in the sky
had a notion for the ocean
making motion in the night

Hoover was the guy
liked to eat the sweetest pie
liked the fruit before it fell
liked to eat before the bell.

Hoover was the guy
Who could ever forget?

Hoover was a mover
Hoover was a mover
Hoover was a mover.
Oh Hoover!

Hoover was the guy
like to steal the sweetest prize
liked the ribbon not the race
and like to tell it to your face

Hoover was the guy
take your girl out for a ride
you still like him don't know why
you should skin him for his hide

Hoover was the guy

Who could ever forget?

Hoover was a mover
Hoover was a mover
Hoover was a mover.
Oh Hoover!

Hoover liked to jam
and he'd visit with the band.
Bring them to the mansion
and he'd promise them some slam - bam

Hoover was the man when instant party was your plan.
Bring back Johnny Winter
bring back the whole - damn - Band

front stage, back stage,
young girls any age

Who could ever forget? (Oh he set a tone)

Hoover was a mover
Hoover was a mover
Hoover was a mover.

Oh Hoover!

He lived in the fuse room for a while. The mansion was so outsize that it didn't have a fuse box, it had a fuse room, , and it had Hoover. I think electricty flowed through Hoover making connections at the Grandee ballroom, cobo hall, the cindarella ballroom, Olypmia, the vanity, eastown,the Riviera , bringing back the bands.

Rickbeall

Post Number: 40
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And for anyone who's interested, here are the lyrics to the other Garwood song "Start a Revolution!"

Hey there pretty mama don't you wanna come?
We're going to the Garwood going to have some fun.
Start a revolution til the rocks come down
Gonna play our music til there's just bare ground
Start a revolution
Start a revolution
Start a revolution
Start a revolution.

Baby you remember when the air was free?
The DJ's playing music just what they pleased
The play list not decided by the company
Capitalism tends toward monopoly
Start a revolution
Start a revolution ...

The city of Detroit is a rocking town
the bands would play 3 evenings when they came around
and end up at the Gar Wood where they'ed jam til dawn
Jamming in the Ballroom, jamming on the lawn
Start a Revolution ..

The Michigan Supreme Court justices came to see what they think, oh yea
The youth of America was on the brink
Fighting in a war in another land
The youth had strange behavior the judges didn't understand.
Start a revolution ...
(spoken: join the Hells Angels, live on the road,
hitch hike across the land

solo

Gar Wood Mansion and
the old Plum Street
The Goose Lake festival and the
Grandee
The Rainbow Farm and you know
4th Street
Bohemian National Home and whatever you please

Start a revolution
Start a revolution ..

John and Edgar Winter singing "Let it Be"
at the Worlds largest organ fixed by crazed hippies
The organ pipes are louder than an atom bomb
pealing out the music of a brand new song
Start a revolution
Start a revolution

LSD ripple. Pharmacueticals from Dr Script on the Boulevard, and the dumpster at Park Davis.
Contributions are accepted for both the rent and in this special little jar by the door.

There's Leon Russel! Did Jimi Hendrix play here? I don't know I was carpet bombinb my head with Black Beauties that night. This is the last place Duane Allman jammed before he died. Van Morrison was a naughty boy, had to lock him in his room.

The Government is growing endlessly
well intentioned welfare making slavery
Corporations marketing makes us all the same
And If you buy it Well we're all to blame

Start a revolution
Start a revolution
Start a revolution
Start a revolution

Bigb23

Post Number: 3994
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those with a few brain cells left, remember these ?

Silver Satin, Thunderbird, Bali Hai and Annie Green Springs.

"What's the word ? Thunderbird. What's the price ? thirty twice".

Dkbradley
Username: Dkbradley

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In my day the price was 44 twice.

Old_guy
Username: Old_guy

Post Number: 457
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The thought of Bali Hai, really brings back some memories. It was always a good break from Ripple. My favorite though, as I became a wine lover was a combo of a couple good doobies, a bottle of Mateus, some decent cheese and a bunch of red pistachios. Back during the Mateus days, the only other wine I remember drinking was Lancers. I wonder why Portuguese wines were so popular?

My memories of Italian wine were bad headaches from $1.99 a gallon bottles of greats like Vino Fino. Sangria, or whatever it was, always seemed to be a vehicle for acid. Thunderbird, Muscatel, Night Train, Kickin' Chicken, Sweet Rosie O' Grady & MD 20/20 were all high octane 20% brews that were half the strength of whiskey, or 40 proof for about a buck a quart.

I'm pretty sure the Sangria was the house wine at the Garwood.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3998
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in the day also, was Right Times. Fruit flavored malt liquor. Six flavors to a six pack.

What were we thinking ?

Beenthere
Username: Beenthere

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

God, the stuff we drank. I remember a party at Record Mike's house, where we made Sneaky Pete's -- you mixed a quart of beer, a bottle of Bali Hai, and a package of red Koolade. It tasted pretty good going down but about an hour later it would hit you, hence the name. The thought of that combination now makes my stomach churn. I think Vic and I usually had a bottle of Spinada around. It wasn't as sweet as Ripple or Boone's Farm, however I don't think I'd touch it today unless I was desperate (but hey, ya never know).

Hoover, I've given Vic your phone number and told him you wanted to hear from him. That's the best I can do, my big stick doesn't reach all the way to Pittsburgh.