Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » The Bettye LaVette Story « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2226
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are pleased to announce the launch of the Bettye LaVette Story, another outstanding history of a Detroit musical legend written by Graham Finch [and illustrated by yours truly using Graham's great collection of images, scans and music].

Graham, a Brit who currently lives in Taiwan and once lived Windsor, is quite possible the greatest authority on Motown era Detroit and has contributed several webisodes to our sister site www.SoulfulDetroit.com. His efforts are saving a significant slice of Detroit history that could otherwise have disappeared.

Jmil
Username: Jmil

Post Number: 371
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I LOVE BETTYE!

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 552
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bettye

photo:
Frederico Martinez

Bobl

Post Number: 553
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Watch for Bettye March 3 on the Jay Leno show!

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 731
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great link. Bettye stole the show at the Kennedy Center Honors back in January. Her version of "Love, Reign O'er Me" was better than The Who's version--Daltrey and Townshend would (and did) say so, too!!

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 357
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She's going to be at the Ark in Ann Arbor on March 5. She has done fabulous shows there in the past--her music director is from Ann Arbor, and it's exactly the right size room for her.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 1091
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I disagree that her version of Love Reign Over Me is better, though it is good, I found it on YouTube for you guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =EJi6maTueSc

I think her best tracks are her earliest.

These include are first single "My Man is a Loving Man" that she recorded at age 16, as well as the songs from then up to an including the recording of her first album, Child of the Seventies (which was held in her record company's vault until 2005!)

There are two AMAZNG Bettye Lavette tracks on the AMAZING locally-compiled Northern Soul comp Radio Rama Lama Fa Fa Fa. Get it if you can, but it is pretty hard to find.

Bobl

Post Number: 591
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a reminder:
Watch Bettye Tuesday, Mar 3, on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno...
Live at the Ark on the 5th!

Rj_spangler
Username: Rj_spangler

Post Number: 120
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard that Pete Townsend said it was best he had ever heard and that it brought him to tears.

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 755
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 7:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RJ_spangler, that's true. Barbra Streisand was so impressed with Bettye's performance, that she turned to Townshend and asked "you wrote that"?

He also wants Bettye to record her version of it, and also offered to write a song for her.

Margie
Username: Margie

Post Number: 406
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I am so glad that I popped onto this thread , and much to my shame ... the first time hearing Bettye. I just can't believe that I have missed out on so much , but judging from the you tube vid. she has remained exqusite ! Thank you so much for for the comments and I will watch her tonight on jay Leno !!!!!!!! What a gift !!!

Bobl

Post Number: 599
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Bettye and the band did well on Leno...

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 589
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bettye and U2 were on simultaneously, Leno vs. Letterman. Bettye's got more soul in her voice and delivery than Bono could ever wish for. I stayed with Bettye.

Jmil
Username: Jmil

Post Number: 373
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bettye on Jay Leno
http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.co m/features/arts/music/blog/200 9/03/bettye_lavette_on_jay_len o.html

BettyeYES!

Thursdaynext
Username: Thursdaynext

Post Number: 380
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW. I hadn't seen the Kennedy Center Honors performance; she's incredible. Pete and Roger looked spellbound by her.

Also caught her on Leno; I wish I had her energy.

Johnnie_sue_bridges
Username: Johnnie_sue_bridges

Post Number: 48
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alsodave, great link, thank you.
My goodness! Bettye didn't steal the show; she owned it from moment she took the stage! WOW

Littlem
Username: Littlem

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone go to see Ms. Lavette last night in Ann Arbor?I was there with my girlfriend and was absolutely blown away!

She'd be a perfect addition to the Jazz Fest or Cityfest lineup.

Bobl

Post Number: 610
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

L: She has played the Jazz Fest, to an appreciative crowd.
It would be great to have her back!

Littlem
Username: Littlem

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://apps.detnews.com/apps/b logs/susanwhitallblog/index.ph p

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.