Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » What happened to kidnapped girl? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 477
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember the big deal about a little girl being kidnapped out of a locked car (supposedly) over on Greenfield and 8 mile a few months back?
Where are the Callie and Haleigh people here?
It's incredible but could it be because she's not white and not from Florida?

Chiclette
Username: Chiclette

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with you 100% on that one!
I live now in N.Carolina but I still get the Detroit News. I saw that & you're right. Nancy Grace mentioned her for 2 sec. & that was it.
Poor little thing. They found Callie so I thought they would go look for this little East Indian girl but no, they went to look for a little blonde girl in Florida. I feel bad for the little blonde girl too. Maybe if they castrate child abductors they will leave children alone.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3817
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What?! Racial bias in the media? No.way!

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3565
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, yeah, the great child kidnapping. There was a study done on men and women, showing who watched what part of the evening news. Who watched the crime segments? Was it men? Actually, no. The men watched the sports wrap-up. It was the WOMEN who kept their eyes glued to the horrible, horrible crime! (No doubt followed up by commercials for diapers, cable deals and supermarkets, as women do most of the buying for their families. No surprises for me here; getting women with spending money, who are often white, to watch a newscast helps sell ads.)

Also, I just want to point out that "stranger kidnapping" is the rarest crime against children there is. A minor is much more likely to be struck by lightning, or to drown in a pool, tub or bucket, than to be abducted by a stranger and held prisoner. Most child "kidnappings" in the United States are simply one of the child's parents or guardians absconding with their issue.

Chiclette

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmmm....
Yes, women watch the crime segments because we want to be more aware of the crimes around us & our children (From men.)
Men don't fear men like a woman or a helpless child does. Yes, Callie was probably killed by her own Mother
but most crimes against women & children are by a man. Yes, go ahead and scratch your nuts & watch your football. No matter what I say anyway, you'll never understand because you're not a woman.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3567
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chiclette: Before we all start "taking back the night" here, I just want to clarify the difference between a genuine concern about crime and a shameless marketing ploy to get women watching the news right before the pitches for major household expenses.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 708
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't believe in this day and age someone would be so cowardly as to fall back on the old racist media angle to explain the difference in coverage between horrific kidnappings.

With all the work that has been done in the last 20K years to eliminate racism we still have those who won't let the past go. Get an education, go to church, get a job, buy a car and maybe a house, get married and have a family - take care of said family, and you won't be unemployed and out on the street blaming whitey for all your problems. Racism is a tired excuse that went out in 1710. This is 2009, there is no racism - except reverse racism (which is extremely prevalent). If you want to rid the world of the only bias that exists - reverse racism - then you should attack that issue.

Suburbanbliss
Username: Suburbanbliss

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are many many missing, abused and murdered White children who do not receive the sensational coverage that Nancy Grace devotes to Haleigh and Callie. Remember the fool who left her baby in a locked car in oppressive heat while she went to get her hair "did". Coverage of that case took a racial turn because someone White might do that too. When a child of color is the victim, all too often the reason given is societies racism. A tired argument and certainly a well covered news topic.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1238
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So because a crime is "rare" it shouldn't be reported on in the press...huh?

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 568
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

C_p, I take it you are of the Caucasian persuasion. If you were a member of a visible racial minority, you wouldn't promote this denial of racism.

Chiclette

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you dannyv

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 756
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apparently no one does care what happened to the kidnapped girl on Greenfield & 8? Only the fact that she did not get as much air time as Caylee.

Thanks for baiting me into a racial thread about nothing. The title did it's job though.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3568
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"So because a crime is "rare" it shouldn't be reported on in the press...huh?"

Haha. No, but the tendency is to quite the opposite. One of the first things they teach you in J-school is that news isn't when a dog bites a man. News is when a man bites a dog.

So what happens is we don't get a picture of how many people died because of faulty appliances, workplace injuries, malnutrition or spousal abuse. Those are too common. But a privileged young child being kidnapped by strangers is a perfect example of a "man bites dog" story.

Teach journalists and editors for a few generations that mundane stuff isn't news and outrageous uncommon stuff is news and you'll have a news media that's fascinated with rare or uncommon stuff (mass murders in high schools, teenage suicide "epidemics," stranger kidnappings of children, weird viruses you'll never get, etc.) and wholly unconcerned with stuff that really affects us. I wish it weren't so, but, what can you do, Pfffft?

Chiclette

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But the little blonde girl is not a privileged young child story. Have you seen these people?
this is "Man bites a hot dog & drinks a beer" story.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3569
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not all little blond girls are rich. That posting is more about the larger trends in journalism.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 713
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The coverage of missing little blonde kids brings in viewers. Natalie Holloway, Caylee Anthony, Elizabeth Smart, Jon Benet Ramsey, etc, etc, etc. It's hard to blame the media, they are selling a product and will air whatever it takes to keep people watching. I do however make an exception for Nancy Grace. That crazy bitch's coverage of these events is just twisted!

(Message edited by Johnnny5 on February 24, 2009)

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1699
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everyone knows the story of Chandra Levy, who knows the story of the young black woman kidnapped around the same time.

This is nothing new, unless the story has something they can milk.

We are country that basis it outrage on looks. If you are perceived to be a cute white girl we will cover the story for a decade even though everyone knows she was cut up and thrown in the ocean. But if you are homely, overweight or have some other condition deemed not attractive, and worse of all if you are not white just forget about it.

Chiclette

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know all little blonde girls are not rich but the question at the top of the page is why dosen't the media cover the story big time on this poor little east indian girl like they did for the cute little white girls? If they sent this case to Nancy (annoying) Grace, this case would be solved to shut her up. I'm just wondering like Daddeeo is wondering is what happened to this case? Did they just walk away from it? I haven't heard anything else about it.

Ct4438
Username: Ct4438

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe it would be helpful to keep these cases fresh in one's memory if you would refer to her by her given name and not "little East Indian girl". Her name is Tangena Hussein.

Here is a link to the Center for Missing and Exploited children with her info:

http://www.missingkids.com/mis singkids/servlet/PubCaseSearch Servlet?act=viewChildDetail&ca seNum=1107030&orgPrefix=NCMC&s eqNum=1&caseLang=en_US&searchL ang=en_US

Maybe if a few requests were sent to our local news stations, they could follow up and remind people of the details of this case, post her information on their websites?

Daddeeo

Post Number: 480
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The boyfriend was in jail on another charge. Haven't heard a darn thing since. Kid is still missing (probably dead).

Chiclette

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, I couldn't remember her name because you don't hear it like you hear Callie & Haleighs names. Thank you for putting her name up & I hope to God they don't just brush this little girls case aside.

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 312
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If there can be charges brought for Chandra Levy's death, justice can be served.

Too bad in many cases it would mean somebody "snitched" which in some social circles is worse than justice.

Chiclette

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, but lets get the guilty party & not just someone to close the case.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1239
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not one sort of story or the other Dnerd ...one doesn't cancel the other out. Both kinds of stories are important and necessary.
If you had kids you'd be interested in every single story of a missing child.

Chiclette

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right on Pffft

Ct4438
Username: Ct4438

Post Number: 53
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We all know that the odds of finding a missing child alive decreases as each day goes past, but there are stories of children that are found alive after being kidnapped.

I would be pleased to see local media or law enforcement making a effort to keep the public up to date on the details of the case and maybe keeping this info as a part of their websites.

And Chiclette, I didn't mean to come across in a negative way....just thought it was important to post her name to help jog our memories. Tangena is an uncommon name and it stuck with me.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3572
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"If you had kids you'd be interested in every single story of a missing child."

That's kinda my point. No matter how unlikely stranger kidnappings are, parents watch those stories. And parents who watch those stories, often comfortable enough to worry about unlikely problems, are a likely demographic to buy products. And so news networks that run those stories get scads of advertisers.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 1248
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In case anyone is actually interested in the missing Bengali child(Hussein is her name), it has been reported almost weekly in the Hamtramck Citizen.

The detectives working on the case have said it appears she was taken by a member of the community and sent back to Bangladesh because her mother was not married. It has been speculated that she was kidnaped as a kind of "saving face" measure by some family members.

Hamtramck detectives have also said they are having a hard time finding witnesses and others with info to cooperate with the investigation. There is a certain matter of distrust between the police and the Bengali community in Hamtown, and its been a difficult case from the start.

Daddeeo

Post Number: 483
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice.

Chiclette

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ct4438, I didn't take it in a negative way. I was truly thankful for you to tell me her name because I did not remember it. Her story didn't get much attention. I thought too that her Mothers creepy boyfriend might have her held at someones house like he did with that other girl & when they put this creep in jail for the other thing that the little girl is being kept by a friend like the other girl. I'm just hoping that she is fine and they find her. two years old without her Mother, very sad.

Chrissy_snow
Username: Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 484
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I could actually see that happening, Detroitej72, but I wonder why the father wouldn't have just taken custody? I seem to remember the news saying that he lived in NY and had the other children. Or did he not want a girl? And did they stake out her house and follow the boyfriend? It all seems plausible, knowing what I know about their culture. Hate to say it but that home situation didn't appear to be very safe and I hope she's safe now.

Chiclette

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitnerd, you changed your tone now. Before it was "Women" (white) watch the crime segments because women buy diapers & shop. Men watch sports. Now it's "Parents" watch these crime segments so advertisers can sell their products. read the first thing you said then scroll down to how you changed your sexist tone.

Ladia
Username: Ladia

Post Number: 220
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the girl who supposedly disappeared from the car at the gas station wasnt white,so the media soon lose interest.they may cover it for a little while but they lose interest,and don';t constantly talk about unless a major development happens.

i wonder what ever happened to dwan sims, remember the little boy back in the 90's who disappeared,his mom said he went missing in livonia,but he wasn't on the security camera's from the mall.we never found a body or anything,so i always wondered what happened to him.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3582
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chiclette: I'm sorry I said parents. Feel free to insert women.

As for whether I'm sexist or not, I am perfectly happy to let other people make up their minds about that.

Chiclette

Post Number: 38
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yea, I forgot about that little boy.
You're right. If you're not a cute little white child you're not going win over hearts.
When I saw the story on little Tangena, I wanted to drive to Mich. to look for her. Anyone who commits crimes against children should get the worst punishment.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 600
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not just any white kid.

A under 5 white blond girl who goes missing probably has the best chance of staying on the news the longest.

Even then you would be lucky to hear something about it two weeks later.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 715
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ladia, your example of Dwan Sims shows that this is not just simply a racial issue. Even though he was black his disappearance was well publicized and received a significant amount of media attention (Both local and national).

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 583
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chiclette, it's well known that marketers target various demographics, including gender. Why is it considered sexist that someone (in this instance Detroitnerd) makes note of that practice?

Ladia

Post Number: 222
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

johnny5 the only reason dwan sims stayed in thenews for a while is because his disappearance was controversial. His mom said he was in a livonia mall,but was never seen on camera,.and it was right after the susan smith thing.little white kids who disappear, years later still get magazine and newspaper coverage, they even make the cover.black kids who disappear don't stay in the news that long. because of the way they ignore blacks and other minorities, when i was a young girl,i naively thought black kids didn't get kidnapped,i diodn';t think i had to be extra careful walking to school of being kidnappe,or anything because i thought that only happened to white kids,because that's all the papers covered.

Ladia

Post Number: 223
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

another thing remember the natalie holloway story, the news still covers her,and she often has big articles written about her in magazines. i think around the same time a black girl mysterously died overseas in ghana,she drowned and her family thought she may have been murdered. that got very little coverage,despite both being teenagers. i never did find out any more info on the young black girl. white people are covered years after their death,and minorities are not.Laws are named after white kids and movies are made about them,as well as books.when white people commit crimes or have crimes commited against them,true crime writers write books,but when it comes to blacks and other minorities they assume that it;s the norm for them and don't write about it.most true crime books are about white criminals and/or victims.

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 299
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ladia...I call to mind a certain Mr. Donald Goines who happened to be Black and wrote his tales (EX. "Whoreson", "Dopefiend", Black Gangster" etal.) Crime stories, or a depiction of the Black expierience?

Children of color are well represented in the search for missing children. Stroll into any Wal-mart and peruse their bulletin board postings. Missing children of all racial groups and walks of life are listed in their postings.

Your way of thinking,sadly, would relegate children of color to strictly chocolate milk cartons.

Kennyd
Username: Kennyd

Post Number: 97
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The simple truth is, that in today's racially sensitive climate, there could be some resentment among minorities being perceived to be portrayed negatively on the news over missing/murdered children with minority suspects. There is already an impression of racial media bias. At some point, the attention to minority cases would be seen as offensive.

The media is quite comfortable in reporting ad nauseum on missing white people, which I find offensive, but not racist.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3604
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CP was being sarcastic....

Soomka1
Username: Soomka1

Post Number: 154
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 3:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you remember when the famous non-star belly sneetch hacked his wife and some other star belly sneetch to death? Then his shyster lawyer Sylvester McMonkey McBean got him off saying "if no star's on his snit, you must acquit"? Then all of the non-star bellies on the jury ate it up and let him walk? I hate when that happens. Why don't they ever put that on TV?

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 636
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm waiting for Blksoul_X to notice this thread! :-)

O.

Duke_sims
Username: Duke_sims

Post Number: 120
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of you are missing the point. The reason certain cases receive more attention isn't race: It's having a suspicious family member involved.

That's why Dwan Sims got lots of attention -- nobody believed the mom after videotape showed they never were in the mall like she told police.

In the Tangena Hussain case, there isn't that element. There's the boyfriend who was originally a suspect, but the authorities' case against him totally fell apart. It's obvious they have nothing on him. So the case is dead. There are no suspects.

I guarantee you if there was a suspicious-acting family member of Tangena's, this case would still be receiving attention, regardless of the missing girl's color.

It's what fueled the Stephen Grant coverage: Everyone knew he did it; it was only a matter of time before the viewing audience found out. Suspicious people make for great television, white, black or brown.

Roadmaster49
Username: Roadmaster49

Post Number: 124
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anybody thought that the reason the media avoid covering black missing children like the Florida kids is because of reverse racism?

If the media covers the Hussain missing child case aggresively they are probably going to focus on blacks/mid eastern connections, and then the media would be labeled 'racist' for implying that off-white people had a role in the case.

They probably think better to be uber sensitive then go out on a limb.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 1054
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Tangena Hussain case was just featured on "America's Most Wanted". They asked for help locating her, but dropped hints that the boyfriend was involved.

Daddeeo

Post Number: 577
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do ya think?
Kidnapped from a locked car? Come on.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.