Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through February 20, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5848
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okie, I posted the birthday picture, and I don't think you were in it, because I graduated St. Jude in 1970. The picture was taken in about 63 or 64.
HW, what are your brother's initials? I think the concensus of grad years on here would be mostly from 71, followed by '70 and a smattering of elder statesmen. A few younger ones have been known to pop in and out.

Tsomyak
Username: Tsomyak

Post Number: 102
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in 72.

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 523
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Okie_nana_55---My sister MaryAnnVanH went to St. Jude but, our mother worked at the UAW. Are you any relation to Drake from class of 77?

Hw1975
Username: Hw1975

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 6:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole, my brother's first name is Patrick. He was in cub scouts but I don't remember the troop. I know that he and GT used to play hockey together. I have a couple pictures of them at Heilmann.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 402
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hw1975, we were in the same class with Mr. Joseph. My first name is Steve, had a sister Linda 2 yrs older. I wasn't into any of the sports at St. Jude. Used to stay in after lunch and play pinochle with some others.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2711
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welome to the new forumers. HW: I knew your bro quite well and I believe I was over your house on more than one occasion. The one time I had the urge to join the scouts, he and I had it all set up for me to go to a den meeting with him and when we got to whomever’s house it was we found out it was cancelled. That was extent of my scouting career.

Okie: The party store you used to pass was called Frank’s on Boulder. It was run by brothers Frank and Rudy. Frank was the Butcher. Families used to keep a tab with them on little spiral notebooks and they would keep them in old cigar boxes behind the counter. The building is still there and I believe it is captured on a pic on the SJS FB page.

Okie_nana_55
Username: Okie_nana_55

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane, your sister is Mary Ann, I often wonder how she is and what happened after 8th grade. I remember we both waited outside of the convent to help the nuns carry their book bag.

Diane12163

Post Number: 524
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okie_nana_55---Hello and it is great you recall her and a time you shared. She passed away about a year ago. She was just 57. She had a bit of a decent life followed by a hard one. She was married and her husband was very overpossessive of her and made her life into a small box so she divorced him and then ended up remarrying her true love, Pete. Pete had many a health issue and it was just shy over a year ago he died. He was just 43. I miss my sister very much. She and I shared a closeness with each other the other girls and I didn't.

Okie_nana_55

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So sorry to hear about Mary Ann's passing away -if my memory serves me correct, Mary Ann was the youngest in the family.

St_juder
Username: St_juder

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sjt py ? I think that is too much dust for that one we always called him Muz. there is a pic of us on my facebook page,at Kevin's 50th birthday party.
Hw 1975 we graduated together in 71 ? Also I would love to see pic of your brother and me .

Diane12163

Post Number: 525
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okie_nana_55---Thank you. I am actually the youngest of 6 girls. Judy, Nancy, Gayle, Maryann, Joanne and me, Diane. Mom is Margaret and Dad, Marcel. Are you by chance related to Drake Okie? He was in the same class as I, class of 77.

Okie_nana_55

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane, I am not related to Drake, I am wondering if we are referring to the same Mary Ann Van H, did your sister play the flute? I always thought Mary Ann to be the youngest, if you were in the class of 77 you were born in 1964 right, I thought Mary Ann lived in East Detroit if my memory serves me correct.

Diane12163

Post Number: 526
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okie_nana_55----My sister MaryAnn never played the flute. We lived on Manning. She was born in 1950. I was born in January 1963. The last name is VanHollebeke. If you go back through one or two of the most recent archives, I have links to a couple pictures of my family and I. One shows just us girls and mom and the other my parents' 40th wedding anniversary.

Okie_nana_55

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The girl I knew was MaryAnn Von Hatten or something close to that. I had a feeling it was a different girl. I wish I had access to a 1964 graduation picture from St. Jude.

Hw1975

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastburn, I am a little disappointed that Fr Ording was NOT messing up the names on purpose. I kind of thought he did it to make the kids giggle and lighten the mood on the dreaded report card day.
I went back to the St Jude web page and watched the videos of the interior of the school. Am I crazy or does it still have the same flooring it had in the 60's?
I remembered that in the 70's, the church got new carpeting. The old carpeting was put out at the curb as trash. My crazy father garbage picked some of it and carpeted the family camper with it!!
I think he liked the idea of having a piece of the church with him when he was away from home...

Hw1975

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay laing, I think I figured out who you are. You have a really good memory if you can remember what you did at lunch time!! Do you remember singing in Mr Joseph's class? I remember one song: Turn, Turn, Turn. But there was another fairly modern (for the times) that he used to have us sing but I cannot remember it!
Was that the only class we were in together? Did you have Miss Cuddihy in 6th grade? That poor teacher, she really was tortured by the students, I don't think she ever returned to St Jude.
At the time, I did not really like going to St Jude, but after high school and even college, I realized what a good education we got from there.

Jokerman
Username: Jokerman

Post Number: 148
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Class of 1964:

Grade 1-Sr. Madonna Marion
Grade 2-Mrs. ????? then Miss Joseph (She was so pretty.)
Grade 3-Mrs. Bork, then Miss Peters
Grade 4-???? (Maybe Sr. Madonna Marion again)
Grade 5-Sr. Louis Arthur (or was she grade 4)
Grade 6-Sr. Marian Elizabeth
Grade 7-Sr. Innocencia (Eno)
Grade 8-Sr. Ellen Therese (Bozo)

Note: My original 2nd and 3rd grade teachers got pregnant and were replaced midyear by Miss Joseph and Miss Peters. I might have some of the grades and spellings wrong.It was 40 or 50 years ago. I was in the "cherry" group.

12468_laing

Post Number: 404
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hw1975, gees, Miss Cuddihy - art teacher, i remember she had a white fur coat over her seat and some of the class used the shaefer pens to flick ink on it. truly, i did not do it, but was in the class. i remember our class song in mr. joseph's class - "hav a na gilla". many years later, when my sister in law married a jewish guy, i danced to that song and her mother in law who was orthodox jewish was appaled that a catholic knew all the words to that song. I know i have the spelling wrong, but that was our class song. as for my rooms, hope my memory is right:
1-101, Sr. Raymond Marie
2-108, Sr. Dominick Michael, (sorry Jcole, she played the guitar)
3-?, Mrs. Huget, (that was the room with the problem roof, and she taught us to say the ABC's backwards)
4-129, Sr. Marie Baraga, (thought she was my favorite)
5-105 or 6, Sr. Marie Lambertine, (older than Deadfish and she played a recorder - gross!!!!)
6-106-7?, Mr. Kennedy, (got in a bad car wreck and came back with a beard)
7-124, Sr. Mary Malley, (reminded me of my aunt - got away with so much)
8-129, THE Mr. Roger Joseph

jokerman, i remember many of those teachers - Mrs. Bork, can't remember much of her, but remember the name and that i didn't like her.

Hw, i think i have since lost my class picture, have an outside idea as to who you are. just can't place it. hope all this helps.

Jcole

Post Number: 5860
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

2-108, Sr. Dominick Michael, (sorry Jcole, she played the guitar)

I don't know what you're sorry about, I never said she didn't exist, I said that's not the nun I had in first grade. Sr. Daniel Michael didn't play guitar.

12468_laing

Post Number: 405
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you know what is amazing? after all these years, for the most part, we still remember our room numbers and our teachers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12468_laing

Post Number: 406
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

stand corrected, or sit in the corner corrected, whatever the situation may be.............like i say, after all these years, we still remember like it was yesterday. what will our kids remember of their own grade school experiences?

Jcole

Post Number: 5861
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mrs. Huget's room was 109

12468_laing

Post Number: 407
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks, that's right. i remember bringing home 2-3 of those little chairs to tell my dad that he needed to paint them by the next day - he wasn't happy, but did it. by the way, anyone remember Sr. Ruth Adamites, (spelling may be wrong) she was the civics teacher in 8th grade, room was caddy corner from 129. she also played the guitar and used to sing a song like, "shout out your soul for the love of god"

Okie_nana_55

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What year did she teach Civics? I went to school with a Carol Adamites, and her sister was a nun.

12468_laing

Post Number: 408
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

she taught civics in 1970-1971 that i knew of, maybe more.

Jcole

Post Number: 5862
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We didn't have Civics that I recall. They must have started it your year. I think they just called it Social Studies and we learned kind of a myriad of political and geographic stuff under that umbrella.
Was Miss Paonessa still there when you were, Laing? Or Sr. Joyce?

Hw1975

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

laing I was in your 7th grade class too. Sr. Mary Malley--I remember that every Monday morning, she used to have each student give a talk either on a Sunday sermon or an article out of the newspaper. She used to say: If you don't keep up with the news, you are nil. I think nil was her favorite word. I also remember singing in her class too, 76 Trombones, Yellow Bird (I hate that song), Sloop John B.
She was the only teacher/nun I ever got in trouble with.

12468_laing

Post Number: 409
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yea, when i was in 8th grade, that was the first year i ever heard the word civics. As for Miss Paonessa, you must be talking about the twin of Annette Funicello - sorry, the boys of St. Jude all thought the same thing.
Hw1975, sorry, but i was the one who operated the record player to play those dreadful songs. don't hold them against me!

Jcole

Post Number: 5864
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paonessa was the one who ran to Roger every time the class acted up so he would come and yell at us. And yes, she resembled Annette

Hw1975

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay...cuz I'm old and have a fuzzy memory, I cheated and found my old report cards. Check these out:

1-104 Sr Maura Patrick Princp: Sr M Leonita
2-107 Sr Thomas Christie " "
3-109 Sr Marina Marie " "
4-? Mrs. Ann Noll Princ: Sr Patricia Marie
5-117 Mrs. Janet Huvaere " " " "
6-120 Miss Loretta Cuddihy Princ: Sr Ann Carmel
7-124 Sr Mary Malley " " " "
8-129 Mr. Joseph Princ: Sr Patricia Downey

Four different principals in 8 years!!
I also found an old school program for sports. It has a bunch of ads in it. Does any one know if it is okay to upload a page of these ads on this forum or is that considered advertising. These ads are so old that the places don't even exist anymore, they have phone numbers that start with letters!
They are all located around the school so I thought it would be nostalgic for others to see.