Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » City of Detroit Flag « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitred
Username: Detroitred

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know this has been covered in a few old threads, but I was wondering if anybody has new information.

I'm looking to purchase a City of Detroit flag. It is a really cool looking flag, but it's hard as hell to find. I've heard American Flag & Banner in Clawson can get you one but it's around $100 due to rarity and complexity of the flag. I also wonder why the city doesn't display the flag. Chicago is covered with their city flag and it isn't as aesthetically appealing as Detroit's in my opinion. Thanks in advance for any info.

City_Flag

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 263
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The city doesn't display the flag because of it's rarity and complexity. Also the fact that it's $100.00.

(Message edited by chub on February 24, 2009)

Chiclette
Username: Chiclette

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LMAO Chub!

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 569
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's no brothers on the flag.

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 124
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my family has purchased detroit flags at goss awning on jefferson just east of van dyke.

Switchmanjim
Username: Switchmanjim

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

d2.jpg Distressed

Big_baby_jebus
Username: Big_baby_jebus

Post Number: 87
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love how the flag says in Latin..

"We shall rise from the ashes"

Still waiting for that day I guess...

Crash67
Username: Crash67

Post Number: 85
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J.C. Goss on Jefferson is the place for the Detroit flags.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3570
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's got the red in it, but I think many Detroit political types would like to see more black and green in it. ;)

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 343
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, it rose pretty good from the Great Fire of 1805, which is what the motto refers to. As for what's happened since though...

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 731
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, they are still expensive but cheaper than Clawson's -- and they are of nice quality, you can hang them outside, etc. I paid $70 for mine a year ago. But I have displayed it prominently in all the homes I have lived in -- including in Ann Arbor, leading to a lot of people scratching their heads and remarking, "Detroit has a city flag?!?" I love explaining the symbols & history to those willing to listen. Really makes them appreciate the city more when you realize this place has been ruled by the French, British, and Americans. And the Latin words spoken by Fr. Gabriel Richard still ring true today -- "We hope for better things; They shall rise from the ashes."

Savannah
Username: Savannah

Post Number: 112
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

S.O.S

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3936
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flags should exhibit a simple design. The US flag is about as complicated as one should get. Chicago's flag is an excellent example of simplicity, as is Canada's. Detroit's complex of graphics just takes away from the impact.

Having a state seal on a blue background, as do a dozen or more states (including Michigan) is also too complex. It's also unimaginative.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1753
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got mine from that place in Clawson about six years ago, but it was only $60 or so.
And Dannyv, I believe the words Monica Conyers would use are, "The people on that flag look like European settlers who take schitt and 'don't look like me.'" By that, I guess she means that don't have a hairline like Eddie Munster:
Exhibit A: http://tinyurl.com/c3zee5
Exhibit B: http://tinyurl.com/ctb6yn

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1705
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did she go to Glamour Shots by Deb????

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 596
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rimehawk, All they need to do is add a Cadillac behind the gowned ladies. Cadillac founded Detroit, didn't he. Then everyone can relate to the flag.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 4136
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This forum has some talented graphic artists.
I think we should design a new City of Detroit flag using current events.
Maybe a Blackberry, a Tiara, and a Shrek.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 674
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Um...what would be the 21st Century version of "Don't Tread On Me"? Put something like THAT on our flag. "Get off our case"...or something like that.

BTW: For those of you interested in flags, the North American Vexillological Association ranks city flags based on specific criteria. See their rankings here.

Detroit's #71....Chicago's #2!

(Message edited by eastsidedame on March 07, 2009)

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 718
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to Clawson yesterday . . To buy a City of Detroit Flag . . but its hours are Mon-Fri 9-5pm Only

Rooms222
Username: Rooms222

Post Number: 203
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the ranking link. Of course, I did not agree with all the rankings, but what I did was start at the bottom of list and scroll up, marking which of the flags I did like. I went from the bottom up to number 50. Of those hundred or so flags lower ranked flags, I only saw 10-12 that I personally thought were good flags. Most of them were a logo transferred to a square of cloth, too busy, or had too many words. I can, in general agree with the list. Detroit's flag is good in that it represents our past in its busy design. It is not a horrible design like many metro areas. I fear that a contest to pick a new flag might result in one that is even worse. Perhaps a touch up of the flag, especially the center with the logo would be good. It appears New York City was also downgraded by having the circular log in the center of the flag. Their logo is hard to read in the flag as well. I think the fact that it is NYC kept them out of the bottom half of the rankings.

(Message edited by rooms222 on March 25, 2009)

Don_jaguar
Username: Don_jaguar

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do we put this flag on our city uniforms? This is the first I have seen it. I don't mind the business of it as long as it is telling a story, like an old family crest. I think I will be picking one up soon. Great post.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 2080
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wayne State flies a State of Michigan flag, City of Detroit flag and American flag together on Warren just West of Woodward, if you want to see one in action.

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 365
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The old "rules" about what flags should look like are based on how flags were originally used: to easily see the location of key battle groups on the field. Not much call for that today. Detroit's flag is really a coat of arms, but that's okay with me. It is definitely distinctive, and has been used for a long, long time.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.