Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Cobo Deal Dead » Archive through February 24, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1260
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like Monica got her way.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20090224/M ETRO01/902240410

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1729
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

stupid a++holes

Bob

Post Number: 1261
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That decision just very well may have made NAIAS in Detroit a regional show and cemented Chicago as the new frontrunner to be the show that people introduce cars at.

Registeredguest
Username: Registeredguest

Post Number: 144
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah - and next there'll be some behind the scene bribing and arm twisting, and before we know it, Council will vote to re-consider the deal and reject today's current action. So, we'll probably get a the current Cobo deal and we'll be left with re-kindled flames division and ill-will brought forth via this action.

And Detroit needs to tell that Agnes Hitchcock and her "Call Em Out" coalition to shove it, too. She has been actively against any meaningful progress over the past few years. I guess one could call her a community dis-organizer.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 801
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goodbye International Auto show. Goodbye nice new hotels. The only suggestion the opposition has is to use stimulous money for a rennovation. Now that is smart thinking.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3820
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How much is Cobo estimated to be worth now? How much did Detroit pay for it?

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 296
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this really p----- me off...

Registeredguest
Username: Registeredguest

Post Number: 146
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True market value would probably be negative. If riverfront land was as valuable as Mon Con and her crew claim, then we wouldn't have a sea of parking lots next to the Ren Cen, vacant land next to Riverfront Towers, and collapsed deals in River East/Rivertown.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9478
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, did you think regionalization was possible here? No, it's North of 8 vs. South of 8 as far as the leaders are concerned. It's pack your bags and get the fuck out of this shit hole while you still can as far as the citizenry is concerned.

But at least Detroit and the five people left in it will own Cobo and get all the jobs from it. That's what's important – keepsin' it REAL.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 3821
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^True, but that's more of a red herring. I'm concerned about how much money Detroit has put into Cobo. Twenty million sounds like a paltry amount to get in return for giving up sovereign control of Detroit's primary convention center.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1378
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Everybody wants jobs - we want ownership." - JoAnn Watson

Every single Detroiter who doesn't have a job should be disgusted at this set of priorities. The council doesn't care about it's people, just it's power.

They know full well that the transfer would of saved the city $35m this year, and take a $20m liability off the books (more than enough to make up for the $2m that was going to the health department or whatever). But that doesn't matter.

So, the city will continue to lose even more jobs and population. The unions who support these council members should revolt on them, because those Cobo employees and workers would of all been union, regardless of who was in control.

The IATSE, NABET, IBEW, Carpenters, and other unions should give the council a big "fuck you" next election and not write a dime in checks for these clowns, because union workers are the ones who are going to lose.

If this vote stands, L. Brooks will move forward with a convention center on the Silverdome or other site. Or, right in Troy on the site of that failed urban development at 16 mile. And don't think for a moment the Troy-based DADA won't change to dramatically reduce their labor costs from $35-$55 per hour per laborer to $15-$20.

That'd actually be a great place for it in the opinion of many and the business community would fully be behind it.

Mark my words, it'll be announced by summer/fall, be privately funded, non-union, and have just as much if not more square footage than Cobo.

Private studies I've seen that a new (albeit ugly and less urbanly attractive) facility could be built for much less money on easily available land.

Thank you Monica and JoAnn for letting your short-sightedness screw us again.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 802
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was in yesterdays Freep which includes a break down of the numbers involved. Once again the city leaders focused on the "Us Vs. Them" debate rather than what was best for the city.

http://www.freep.com/article/2 0090223/BLOG2503/90223053/1068 /OPINION/Cobo+is+an+asset+to+D etroit?+Think+again

http://freep.com/uploads/pdfs/ 2009/02/cobo_0223.pdf

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1828
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I doubt anybody will build a convention center anywhere. They cost bucketloads of money to build and to operate, and Cobo is vacant almost all the time. Who has the money to do such a thing, and why would they bother?

The City Council has once again decided to hold on to one of the City's "jewels". Good luck with it, y'all.

Big_baby_jebus
Username: Big_baby_jebus

Post Number: 86
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm so mad I can't even begin to describe my hatred for these "Big Hat wearing nimrods"

Fu@k you Monica, JoAnn, and Company.

Thanks for screwing it up AGAIN!

/...is.it.November.yet?...\

Russix
Username: Russix

Post Number: 185
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Monica is not against it, she just wasn't payed properly in advance for the luxury of her approval.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5915
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^What does it matter? They'll all get voted back in again

Johnlodge

Post Number: 9480
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would bribe her, but she might take the money, vote the way I wanted, and then sue me for bribery because she read they did that somewhere in Dumbfuckistan once.

Professorscott

Post Number: 1829
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll try to change the course of this thread, just a little. What's next with regard to Cobo? My guess: absolutely nothing. The State won't have any energy left to try to resurrect any kind of deal; the City has no money to do anything whatever, and to claim there's some chance of using stimulus money is just fantasy.

What do you all think?

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1379
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yah, I'm with you, it's completely dead, P.S.

But I stand my thought that a new building will be built in Oakland County.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 3823
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't say that stimulus money for Cobo is impossible. I'm not sure I want stimulus money going to that though... Not with the current dysfunction overseeing the pot. I'll be damned if Bobby Ferguson and Co. gets awarded a bloated contract with that money.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 9481
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe once all the retailers go out of business, they can hold the NAIAS at Great Lakes Crossing.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 474
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who here is running for office?
Lets do this.

Bobby08
Username: Bobby08

Post Number: 141
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shit, they just set us back 50 years with this!

Homer734
Username: Homer734

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is no way in hell that Obama (from Chicago) will give stimulus money to Cobo, when the alternative is that Chicago probably gets our auto show.

City Council only cares about Cobo because it is a source of undeserved contracts they can give their friends and family.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 501
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Wayne County Executive Robert Ficano said the council was playing “Russian Roulette,” with the 16,000 jobs that come with the auto show and the 8,000 new construction jobs that would have been created with the expansion.

“We’ve spent so much time nursing this and getting it through a minefield and to have it killed is short sighted and tremendously disappointing,” he said.

Ficano hopes that Detroit Mayor Ken Cockrel Jr. will veto the council’s action in order to keep the Cobo expansion alive, because getting it through the state Legislature a second time will be virtually impossible.

“To get it back through the Legislature is such a tall mountain to climb,” he said. “You have to get all the players in the region to agree which isn’t going to be easy. Then the next step is tot get it through the legislature and there are monumental odds of getting anything done there.”"

Can Cockrel really veto this decision?

Bob

Post Number: 1262
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, I see L Brooks building a new convention center in Troy, just like he has wanted for many years. Thanks to Monica, it gives him one more reason to say "I told you so."

Professorscott

Post Number: 1830
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cockrel can veto anything he likes, but the state legislation specified the deal had to be approved by City Council. So I'm not sure Cockrel's veto will carry any weight.

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 302
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NAIAS Coming to Novi....Rock Financial will host!!

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 502
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Cockrel can veto anything he likes, but the state legislation specified the deal had to be approved by City Council. So I'm not sure Cockrel's veto will carry any weight."

The state legislation said that it could be killed by city council, but if the cobo deal had never been brought up within the 45 day time span, it would have been approved regardless. So I am thinking the deal might still be possible. I hope so. Can anyone answer whether Cockrel's veto on the act by council will work to get the expansion moving anyways?

Bob

Post Number: 1263
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Except Rock Financial Showplace would need a significant addition. I think it only has something like 300,000 sq ft of exhibition space.