Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Cobo Deal Dead » Archive through February 25, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 1131
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think Oakland County will or should build a convention facility. But when the liquor and hotel taxes that subsidize Cobo now come up for renewal, Oakland County will be in a position to decide whether to redirect those tens of millions of dollars back to the county versus allowing them to be spent on Cobo Hall.

Detroit_expat
Username: Detroit_expat

Post Number: 78
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a profoundly retarded decision by Clowncil. No, I'm not surprised.

Build a convention center near Metro Airport, or in Oakland County. Enough.

This region is in dire straits. There is simply no time to indulge fools.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 782
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That sucks!

<313>

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1250
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unless a city manager is put into place by the bankruptcy court that can eliminate any power by these idiots, the city is now dead.

Brooks should put a convention center into Troy.

Raise the city and tell everyone of these idiots who keep voting ugly council members into position to find another State to infect.

Who the hell is going to go the f-ing hotels and businesses downtown?

Each and everyone of those M-Fers should be tied to the back of a car, tarred, feathered and dragged to Toledo.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1749
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Simply unbelievable.

Staticstate
Username: Staticstate

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they'll get paid by re-scrapping the Book Cadillac, what do they care? serious idiocy...

Sparty06
Username: Sparty06

Post Number: 191
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Novine,
I think your take above is pretty spot on.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1732
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

can we call out the call em out coalition?

Optima
Username: Optima

Post Number: 60
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Jcole regarding a restructuring of the city charter but that likely will not happen anytime soon. Again, common sense and any hint of regional cooperation for the good of all in the area is overriden by an undeserved and unexplainable false sense of entitlement.

Monica is truly a short-sighted, non-sensical, certifiable nutcase. She proves it every time she opines (that's a nice word for what she actually does).

My heart goes out to the truly good people of Detroit who are so deserving of and still starving for true leadership. Here's hoping LBP does proceed with his own OC convention center to hopefully retain the NAIAS and attract other shows.

Detroit has repeatedly proven that they have no intention of cooperating with any of its neighbors and because of that they deserve the fate their "leaders" deal them.

Incompetence and short-sightedness personified.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 416
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Complete morons. It's unthinkable that such people could even be in a position of leadership.

I yelled explitives pretty much my entire drive home as it was reported on the radio.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1532
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nixing this deal has stepped on a lot of toes. This Council is really in for it. In essence, they've ignored the governor, the legislature, and Wayne, Oakland, and Macomb county recommendations. This isn't just a normal bullshit Detroit move. They've really stepped in it.

The deal will eventually go through, but we can be sure those who voted against it will be targeted at every turn from here on out.

You don't mess with the people who secured this deal and expect to survive politically.

Kahnman
Username: Kahnman

Post Number: 67
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobby08, ghetto dog definition:

http://detroitfunk.com/?p=513

And yes, the Cobo/Paintball Emporium should be repainted orange...

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 1133
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One huge mistake was drafting the legislation to give the Council a veto over this deal. No other entity to bail on the deal. Instead, the legislation should have been written to allow the Mayor to OK moving forward. Perhaps someone will now get a clue and draft legislation that does exactly that.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 484
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear Monica is going on a magical mystery tour to Washington to get stimulus money directly for Cobo Hall. She's like Dorothy who's been dropped off in the poppy field...out of her mind!!
Of course, the "trip" will be taxpayer funded. Another waste of dough.

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 298
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regarding Collins' "racist legislature" comment: Any chance that members of the legislature could sue her for defamation of character or slander? I'm not asking if anyone would, I'm asking if there wouldd actually be a case for it.

Cellus
Username: Cellus

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i agree with Lodgedodger!! the deal is going to go through but not without Conyers and her dummies heads on the chopping block. they've pissed off the true heads of state and they will pay the price!!

LET THE SHOWDOWN BEGIN!!

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 529
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another brilliant comment made by JoAnn was that an authority should be set up for Mackinac, the Silverdome, etc. So that WE can get in on that.

Uh, JoAnn? Mackinac has an authority. It's a freaking State Park and the Silverdome hasn't held an event in years. You want some of that? Plus, they are not asking for any money!

Glowblue
Username: Glowblue

Post Number: 175
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The loss of Chrysler (and everything associated with it) in Auburn Hills would put a hit in any type of capital for building a facility in OC. IMHO, of course.

If, God forbid, Chrysler goes under, it would also leave OC with a gigantic building that can easily be renovated into a convention center. They could turn the big office tower into a hotel, right on site!

Youngprofessionaldetroiter
Username: Youngprofessionaldetroiter

Post Number: 403
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-(

Hey all...my life has been in a tailspin since Lehman Brothers went under in September. My move to Detroit is on hold indefinitely, and my career consists of fighting fires before the next ones erupt. I'll save you the dramatic story of the last 6 months, but a tailspin would be putting it nicely.

But today, when I read the news of the absurdity of the Cobo deal, I knew there was only one place I could go that would understand. How you call Cobo an asset when your OWN people tell you it's running negative cashflow every year and in need of millions of dollars in capital improvements isn't stupid. It's not illogical. It's childish.

I guess I thought we were finally starting to move past that.

As the downward spiral in the economy starts to bottom out in late 09 or 2010, I'll put back my plan to move back into the city. When the fires subside, I hope to be back on the forum more often.

Til then, let's just keep trying to move forward.

Take care,
YPD

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1838
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What I suggested earlier has now been reported on the 11:00 news: it's not likely there will be any effort at the State level to try to resurrect this in any form.

Cobo now and permanently belongs to the City of Detroit, and can remain forever one of its "jewels". Now, the City has no hope whatever of upgrading it in size or any other fashion; in fact the City can't afford to minimally care for the place. So it, like so much of the City, will just continue to deteriorate, and will be used less and less.

The 2010 auto show was in trouble before this, since nobody in the automotive business has any money for things like putting on shows. Now, it's going to diminish in size and stature dramatically, and quickly.

I've never been a fan of spending public money to upgrade Cobo; I've always felt it was wasted money. No need to reargue that here. But the deal crafted in Lansing was the best deal Detroit was ever going to get, and now it's dead.

Ms. Conyers said it's all about ownership. Well, Ms. Conyers, here are the keys; it's all yours. Have fun with it.

Nellonfury
Username: Nellonfury

Post Number: 231
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 6:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Monica Conyers......
The City Council President of Detroit....STILL a f**cking joke!
If anyone seen Local 4 News last night where they showed the TRUE image of Cobo? If you did,it's very sad.....though out the years our city council can't take all kinds of deals to fix and expand the place.Stuff like this really pisses me off!!
Losing the Auto Show will be a lost image of Detroit FOREVER!!!!!!

Stosh
Username: Stosh

Post Number: 50
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

May just as well slap plywood on the windows and sell it to Manny right now. This has gone too far to even be considered funny anymore. How anyone could come to this decision when they have a structural deficit the size of Detroit's is beyond me. Good luck with that.

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 214
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 7:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who does Monica Conyers think she is? I heard her on Channel 4 say "they gave Grand Rapids $65 million without a problem". Well Mrs. Conyers, Grand Rapids hasn't given Lansing a reason to question its integrity like Detroit has. Monica Conyers is not qualified to sit in public office. She is only poisioning her own city. Detroit needs the suburbs just like the suburbs need Detroit.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4513
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It takes "Detroiters" to run Detroit.

Yes with ethnicity of Detroiters.

Big_baby_jebus
Username: Big_baby_jebus

Post Number: 89
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Monica is just waiting for her bribe. Someone just needs to grease the wheels on this deal before she goes to prison.

Barebain
Username: Barebain

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know... this whole thing seems vaguely familiar... Ahhh yes. Now I remember. Detroit Zoo, February 2006. Council votes down the proposed Zoo transfer 7-2 in a flurry of baseline racebating politics. L Brooks Patterson is beside himself, and the whole of metro Detroit believes that there will not be a zoo come summertime. (What will they do with all the animals?!?)

Well, here we are, three years later confronted by an eerily similar situation. The zoo is still there, and I was amazed to see this morning that the whole of downtown Detroit did not implode overnight.

Yes, the circumstances are more complicated. The stakes are higher, and the egos involved are pretty much the same. Unfortunately, the divide that separates so many of us here in Detroit has not gone away in the past 3 years, but I , for one, am hoping for better days to come. Let's all sit down. Take a deep breath. Have a drink. Things will change. Things HAVE to change.

Now get back to work.

Stosh
Username: Stosh

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, at least their actions convinced me on how I'm voting on that liquor and hotel tax renewal proposal in 2010.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3813
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If, God forbid, Chrysler goes under, it would also leave OC with a gigantic building that can easily be renovated into a convention center. They could turn the big office tower into a hotel, right on site!

If, God forbid, Chrysler goes under, they would likely be no reason to build a convention center anywhere.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1272
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The biggest thing that needs to happen is the City of Detroit needs to give voters a reason to keep sending the alcohol tax money to Cobo (ie voting to extend the tax) or come 2015 Detroit is on the hook for all expenses. See how stupid Monica looks now, that all the videos out of her don't make her look stupid enough already. But someone needs to tell her that this needs to get done. get off the pulpit and get this convention center expanded before it becomes another boarded up hulk that in the center of downtown.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5919
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It takes "Detroiters" to run Detroit.

Yes with ethnicity of Detroiters.

Danny, God help me, I think I know what you're trying to say here. The council needs to be comprised of people representing the various enthnic groups that make up Detroit. I agree.
This is basically what I meant earlier when I said that they need the state to come in and take over and get rid of the council, and revamp the charter so the councilpeople are elected by district/precinct instead of at large. This will never happen with our current council unless it is forced.