Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through February 24, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5865
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your better bet is to upload them to the St. Jude Church site on Facebook. You can make them larger so we can read them. If you don't have a Facebook login, create one, and join the group in the above link and it will allow you to post. I think they have to be jpeg files, but I'm not positive. Then post here and let us know.

Hw1975
Username: Hw1975

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent idea, thanks Jcole. I will put them on St Jude site.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 410
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hw1975, I found our class picture from 7th grade and found you. So much from that class is coming back - I remember you very well. I am the first one to the left of the wording in the middle of the composite. After reading your post with the names of the principals, I didn't remember we had 4 either. Also noticed Mark Carion in our 7th grade picture - in one of the previous posts, someone mentioned he passed away - was that you Zitro?

Sjtunnelgang
Username: Sjtunnelgang

Post Number: 39
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I vouch for Gary Trup........
Identity confirmed
Hey Diane...I remember a John VanHollebeke.
Any relation?

12468_laing

Post Number: 411
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Gary Trup...I looked for you in the 75 Denby yearbook, but you aren't in the senior pictures. Didn't you play baseball there?

Sjtunnelgang
Username: Sjtunnelgang

Post Number: 40
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St_Juder....you have to recall the nickname LIPPY ....for Muzz

12468_laing

Post Number: 412
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St_Juder, ok, i looked all through the 75 yearbook and couldn't find ya......

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2712
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laing; Yes Mark Carion passed away I believe from a boating accident.

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 527
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stjtunnelgang----He could very well be a relative, most likely a cousin. We are related very distantly to the VanHollebekes who own Sinbads downtown. My mum and dad had all girls, though(6 total). Often told my mum if she had us in Vegas, she would have won the jackpot. LOL

Mkap
Username: Mkap

Post Number: 79
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad to see all the new faces here on the forum. Welcome!

Didn't Miss Funicello marry a guy with the last name Peters the summer (or so) of 1970? I kind of remember something like that.

Tsomyak
Username: Tsomyak

Post Number: 103
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Mkap, I think you're thinking of Miss Murray, who married Mr Peters. They both taught sixth grade in 69-70. I was in sixth that year, all the kids were invited to the wedding. I believe that was the only year Miss Murray was at SJS.

Mkap

Post Number: 80
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First thing to go is what, I forget?
Thanks Tso, I knew I remembered something to that effect.
By the way Tso, that gal we discussed with the sister who wanted to become one, that lived on your street is lurking the site I believe, and may pop in sometime soon.

Tsomyak
Username: Tsomyak

Post Number: 104
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mkap: Very cool, the more the merrier! I know of another 71 grad lurking as well. Come out, come out, wherever you are! :-)

Okie_nana_55
Username: Okie_nana_55

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Golly I had the day off and this board was very quiet. What happened?

St_juder
Username: St_juder

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sjtunnelgang lippy was the nickname for Terry Tipton which I believe muz gave to him
Laing no I didn't play baseball at Denby and you won't find photos of me as I did not have any taken or attend graduation ceremony .

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 689
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okie, it's usually pretty quiet around here on weekends, Most folks spend time here on workdays. We don't call ourselves slackers for nothing.

Hw1975

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

stjuder - I cannot find the pic I was thinking of, I may have sent it to my brother with his other stuff when I went thru my mom's things. I have one on my computer that I think includes you but I am having trouble uploading it...

Hw1975

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

laing - what the initial of your last name? I'm not sure who you are yet.
I remember Miss Cuddihy's fur coat, I never sprinkled it with ink neither. I also remember that her blackboard was full of spit-wads and her ceiling had pencils stuck into the tiles...

12468_laing

Post Number: 413
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hw1975, last name is Molnar. like I said, on our 7th grade composite, I am left of the verbiage. Had to laugh - i remember that blackboard - it was a work of art. and, all the pencils in the tiles, we always were waiting to see them fall down - never did. we thought then nothing was that bad, but if anyone of my sons' friends did that, i'd be pretty mad. by the way, i have one graduating from the naval academy this may and going into nuclear subs, my other son is two years younger and is a soph in TN Tech. Yes, I live in Nashville, and also have applied to the diaconate here - will find out in the summer if i am one of the 25 out of 65 applicants. let me know what you are doing.....

Okie_nana_55

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't do this at work, I am with 5/6 graders and don't have a chance. I gather most of you are practicing Catholics, and I hope you know how lucky you are to have a Catholic church near. I live 30 miles one way from the Catholic church and it takes me at least a good half day to go to church because I do any needed errands after mass. You are even luckier if you have a priest you can understand, out here we get new priests from foreign countries, I am not ungrateful, but just long to be able to have a good old fashion homily.

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 528
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 3:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually I am a recovering catholic. I unfortunately left the Lord when I was 12 years old because of so much bad happening at school and home but later on when I was 33, I came back to him and am now a liberal Christian. I have no specific denomination within. I'm also an ordained minister because I felt a calling to a closer walk with the Lord. I have a couple dreams for my ministry. I am also blessed to be in love with a minister who happens to be British.

Zitro

Post Number: 2713
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy Fat Tuesday to all!!!

Okie_nana_55

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have one for me, no fat filled doughnuts around here, use to help make them when I lived in Michigan. I live in the Bible Belt. Funny thing as a Catholic I was taught to believe that the public schools never mentioned God, so when I started working with the public schools, I was terrified I would say some about religion since I worked at a Catholic school for 18 years. Amazes me that religion is mentioned as often as it is. For the first year after school kids would go to KFC, no one told me anything about it, and I wondered why they were going to Kentucky Fried Chicken 30 miles away. Joke was on me as it stood for Kids for Christ.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5914
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just had the perfect cherry paczki and I have a little sugar high working. It's nice.

Zitro

Post Number: 2714
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm, sounds good JC.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 690
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm jealous. I'll have to drive to Bad Axe (50 mile RT) if I want one.

12468_laing

Post Number: 414
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TN is the last place on this earth to even know what a paczki is. If it isn't biscuits and gravy, Krystals, Moon Pies or Vienna sausages, they don't know it. oh, for memories!!

Zitro

Post Number: 2715
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it warm enough to take the bike? It's supposed to be up around mid fifties around here tomorrow. I might just get the bike out for a spin if it will start.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1344
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to all the new posters. It's nice to observe all the re-connections.

Many of you know that my mother passed away last week. She was a parishioner since the early 50s and a member of the St. Jude Parish till mid 90s and a member of the Rosary Altar Society until the end. Former St. Jude neighbors (many since the 1940s) visited and offered their condolences and fond memories. The prevailing theme was how great St Jude Parish and school was to attend and raise a family.

Thanks to all for your kind words and support!

Mkap

Post Number: 81
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR - Deepest condolences to you and your family. Our prayers are with you.