Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St Cecilia Church/School and neighborhood « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitbob48209
Username: Detroitbob48209

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone out there who grew up in or went to grade or high school at St. Cecilia-Detroit?

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 989
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was my mom's parish back when Jesus was white.

Trstar
Username: Trstar

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went there when Mr. Cunningham painted the black Jesus. Beautiful art work.

Yes, I did.

Sam Washington, Father Ellis, the families, the church carnival/fair,..... good times.

Mzsuzuki
Username: Mzsuzuki

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I attended St. Cecilia School after St. Theresa was horrible. I remember Sis. Mary, Sam Washington drove the bus, basketball players in the gym during the summer and a host of other memories (81-84)

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 287
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never attended school or church at St. Cecilia, but I remember that little cracker box gym real well. I used to hang out there during those days when the St. Cecilia summer league was one of the best in the country (late 70s thru early 80s). Got a chance to play pickup games with guys like George Gervin and George Trapp, not to mention a few dozen playground legends who never made the big time. Sam Washington was a true legend. Those were some good days.

Raj313
Username: Raj313

Post Number: 78
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I played football for Sam Washington while at DePorres. Those summer league game were epic, NBA allstar games!

Sec106
Username: Sec106

Post Number: 45
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went from 1st grade to 5th started in 1961. Grandmother Mrs. Margarite Murphy was my 3rd grade teacher. Loved that school, they still had the high school then and it was a HUGE deal for an elementary student to deliver a not to the high school! Made my First Communion there and got yelled at for talking. I told my little friend that the host was stuck to the roof of my mouth. Man did I get it all the way back to the school from the one nun.

Trstar
Username: Trstar

Post Number: 45
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sam Washington is a true Detroit Legend.

Detroitbob48209

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Mrs. Murphy, also Sr. Francesca (who disappeared on year mid term...later we heard had a nervous breakdown) Mrs. Bresnahan who was a Marilyn Monroe look-a-like. the terror of having Msgr. Herbert pass out the report cards and his long high masses at 8am. Started in 1958 to high school closing in 1968. Mrs. Murphy was nice...she was the first lay teacher I had.

Sec106
Username: Sec106

Post Number: 47
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow Detroitbob that's cool. I had forgotten Msgr. Hebert, as soon as I read his name I saw his face. Do you remember Mrs. Valentine? I had her for fourth or fifth grade. She actually lived near me on Santa Rosa.

Detroitbob48209

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't remember Mrs. Valentine...I can still picture Hebert in his scarlet cassock and sash. I'll never forget Msgr. Hebert and his brother Peter celebrating their 50th Ordination anniversary mass with Archbishop Dearden in the morning, solemn mass with gold vestments and tons of flowers on November 22, 1963...back to a stripped church that afternoon with the priests clad in black as they sang a solemn requiem for the repose of the soul of JFK...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.