Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through February 25, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 415
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kellyroad, I am sorry for your loss. Prayers will be with you.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 691
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, you're in our prayers.

Z, nope. Still lots of snow & 20 degrees. I did have one of the SC rigs out for a short spin last weekend. See FB.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2716
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw the video but you only went to the end of your driveway and back but I don't blame you it looked like it was still pretty cold.

Welcome back KR, you know you and your family have been in our thoughts.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 655
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Absolutely - still in our prayers. A Mass will be said for your Mom at St. Jude - I'll pass along the date -

Eastburn

Post Number: 692
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, I went out to the main road & back TWICE. Once with my daughter & once with the grandkids. Our "road" just looks like a driveway. And yes, it was cold. I could put on all the heated gear & venture out but then I'd have to deal with a dirty, salt-sprayed rig with no way to wash it. Got to get a Ural. they're supposed to be dirty & rusty.

(I know, JC, I should have written "an Ural" but that just sounds weird.)

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5916
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I think when the U is pronounced as a Y, it's okay to say 'a', as in
a union
a united front
a unicorn
a used napkin
a U.S. ship
a one-legged man

Eastburn

Post Number: 693
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you. I knew I could count on you - as always.

Zitro

Post Number: 2717
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She's a ubiquitous sort isn't she?

Tsomyak
Username: Tsomyak

Post Number: 105
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, my sincere condolences for you and your family.

Greatdays
Username: Greatdays

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kellyroad,
I'm sorry to hear about your Mom, she will be in my thoughts and prayers....
As I mentioned in my first posting on Feb 11th, we were one of the first families on Fordham
between Redmond and Rex; that was in the early 40's.... so I'm sure that our parents have crossed paths, as well as our families. I wish you the best during these hard times.

Jcole

Post Number: 5918
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

She's a ubiquitous sort isn't she?

I prefer omnipotent

Zitro

Post Number: 2718
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You got it sis. But then I would have had to add an an instead of an a, eh?

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1345
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't ubiquitous and omnipotent both have an an since they both begin with a vowel? It's been over 45 years since Sr. Robert Marie taught the proper use of adjectives and how articles should be used as modifiers.

Zitro

Post Number: 2719
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You would need an an for omipotent but on the post above it looks like ubiquitous would be exempt.

quote:

No, I think when the U is pronounced as a Y, it's okay to say 'a', as in
a union
a united front
a unicorn
a used napkin
a U.S. ship
a one-legged man

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1346
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, JC: Thanks for the clarification. I guess I was confused about the pronunciation as a "Y". The above examples have the U as a long vowel sound, therefore a long vowel sounding "a" would be a correct modifier. The example of "Please hand me an umbrella" is an unforgettable example from the SJS days.

Zitro

Post Number: 2720
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or as they would say in England "Please hand me a bumpershoot"

Jcole

Post Number: 5920
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I actually found the examples on line; I didn't pull them out of my ass or anything. The same rule applies to the letter O when it sounds like a W.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 416
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

don't let the nuns find out you went on line for knowledge!!!!!!!!!

Jcole

Post Number: 5921
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had the knowledge, I just needed examples.
Anyway, I'm sure modern nuns use the internet for lesson plans all the time

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 656
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See, J - and you don't think GPA carries forward through the years! :-)

Jcole

Post Number: 5922
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's right Mar, it DOES matter. Someone cares!!

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 657
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Absolutely!

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1347
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC, Z: Our great SJS education taught us the exceptions of particular modifiers to words beginning with a vowel when the sound is different. Let's continue on. Using the above examples would the article "the" have the sound of "the" or "thee" when placed before the "y" sounding U words cited above? (I really have a lot of spare time on my hands at this moment.)

Zitro

Post Number: 2721
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone listening is invited to join in the fray here.

Jcole

Post Number: 5925
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I recall, it was always 'the' with the uh sound.

Tsomyak
Username: Tsomyak

Post Number: 106
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok Z.

fray

Zitro

Post Number: 2722
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good one TS: LMAO!!

Thanks for joing in the fray

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 658
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent!

Hw1975
Username: Hw1975

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laing, I thought that's who you are but , I wanted to make sure so I've been looking for my class pictures but I cannot find them, not even one. But I did find some other stuff. Remember the pins we used to get if you had good attendance or made the honor roll? If found those and holy cards that were given out as prizes, for lack of a better word. These have little notes on them and are signed by the sr or teacher. Also found glow in the dark rosaries and a booklet for an All-American Sing Along that was held for Fr Ording's 40th anniversary. It lists what each class sang, mine sang a song by The Marvels. I sort of remember that, the song was Please Mr Postman, I think. I would post it on here but so far I can't figure out how. Every time I try to post a pic, I get an error message saying it's too large.
Anybody know what I'm doing wrong...I mean regarding posting the pic :-)

Mkap
Username: Mkap

Post Number: 83
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HW - I got... sorry JC. I recieved three attendance pins over the years.