Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Lyman Woodard « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ronaldj
Username: Ronaldj

Post Number: 107
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although it was reported in this morning's Free Press. Just a note to rue the passing of a master of the Hammond B3.

An undersung, underreported musical legend.

66 is a little young, I think. Keep in the groove.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 584
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 7:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sad. He and his music will be missed.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2430
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, that's sad news. He was one of the masters of the B-3 as a jazz instrument. he joins Jimmy Smith, Wild Bill Davis, Buddy Cole, Charles Earlund and Jimmy McGriff at that great Jazz club in the sky.

No one ever said beng a Jazz musician was a way to longevity!

Bagman
Username: Bagman

Post Number: 146
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lyman Woodard Alumni Musical Tribute
Monday, March 9 @ 9 pm
Cliff Bell's Jazz Club
2030 Park Ave, Detroit, MI 48226
(313)961-2543

From the Metro Times music blog:

Lyman Woodard passed away (Feb. 24th) Tuesday evening at Owosso Memorial Hospital, the same hospital where he was born on March 3, 1942. Compared to the many jazz musicians from middle-class and even hardscrabble backgrounds, Woodard came from a well-off family (the wrought iron furniture business). He studied piano at the Oscar Peterson School of Contemporary Music in Toronto before hearing jazz organ pioneer Jimmy Smith in 1963 inspired him to switch instruments.

By 1965, he was in Detroit and formed his first trio with guitarist Dennis Coffey and drummer Mel Davis.

Later, he worked regularly in the Motown organization, including a stint at musical director for Martha & the Vandellas. He re-formed his trio in the '70s — with Ron English on guitar and Leonard King on drums — and later expanded that into the Lyman Woodard Organization with the addition of alto saxophonist Norma Jean Bell and percussionist Lorenzo Brown. Through the years, numerous musicians were involved in the organization to some extent or another, on the stage and on disc, including saxophonist Kenny Garrett, trumpeter Marcus Belgrave, guitarist Robert Lowe and drummer Renell Gonsalves. The vinyl discs of the band from that era have become collectors' items sometimes fetching hundreds of dollars.

Leonard King & RJ Spangler organize a musical tribute to their longtime friend, Lyman Woodard on Monday, March 9, starting at 9 pm. This special show will feature such important people from Lyman's life as Dennis Coffee, Ron English, Renell Gonsalvez, the Sun Messengers, Robert Tye, the vocalist Royce and many, many others, including colleagues like organists Gerard Gibbs & Chris Codish. His old friend John Sinclair will also do perform emcee duties as well as read a poem.

Stnfrnt
Username: Stnfrnt

Post Number: 459
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The honor, privalege, and pleasure were all mine when I saw Lyman play at the old Huron Hotel in Ypsilanti. I'm an old rock n roll guy but the talent, quality and class that Lyman Woodard shared with us knows no boundry. God bless.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 457
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When my wife and I were dating in the 70's, we would spend our weekends at Cobb's Corner, being mesmerized by the Lyman Woodard Organization, with Robert Lowe and Norma Jean Bell, among others. They were often Summer evenings too magical to describe, as we found ourselves awed by these legendary talents as they interpreted musical compositions with such class. Everything seemed to come together on those nights. They were eclectic evenings, with an audience that came from the streets: black, white, young, old, poor and not so poor. Whether it's the ambience of Cobb's, the wine or simply the groove that is etched in this old guy's memory, I often find myself regretting the loss of that establishment, its diversity and the aura of its musicians. I truly, truly will miss Lyman Woodard. He was one of a kind.

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 363
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sad to see this about Lyman, who I remember so well from my old days hanging out at Cobb's. I've always missed that place since Henry Normile's tragic death basically put an end to those wonderful nights that 65memories describes so well, and Lyman Woodard was a big part of that scene. Being able to go there in my late teems (thanks to 18 year old drinking) was a formative experience in my cultural and musical world, and left me a jazzhead for life. With his passing, and that of Kenn Cox a few weeks ago, a great era in Detroit's jazz history has begun to slip away from us.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 510
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice posts about Lyman, and Det jazz. Eastside is talkin' sense, some of our Elders are slipping away...Detroit nurtured so many fine musicians because we educated them - younger musicians learning from older musicians, the Detroit way. And though musicians leave the city and spread music 'round the globe, our rep as a fountainhead remains intact - those musicians who chose to stay, like Lyman, Johnny Allen, Kenn Cox, Walden a.o., taught the youngsters...Johnny still does, check him out at Sweet Lorraine's every other Tuesday. 90 yrs of age, elegant sound, solid Detroit piano man...
I recall hearing Lyman's trio at the Grande many moons ago, $2 admiss on Sunday afternoons. I had no clue what the man was playin' but it felt oh so right.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 924
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lyman at: Cobb's, Jay's Lounge in the Pick Fort Shelby, Baker's Keyboard, Dummy George, Sweet Lorraine's in Southfield, R.P.McMurphy's in Wyandotte, Alvin's, The Leather Bottle Inn, The Crash Landing, The Radio Tavern in Windsor, Archibald's in Birmingham, The Motor Lounge in the Book Cadillac, The Cafe Detroit, The 101 in the Tuller Hotel, The Soup Kitchen Saloon, The Bird of Paradise, Murphy's(???) in Toledo, etc, etc. Where didn't Woodard play in his long and fruitful lifetime? I'm sure I can come up with many more, if I stay up all night. He was in the audience once at Baker's when Richard 'Groove' Holmes (one of my favorites) was playing. Groove, Bobby Ward (Groove's drummer extraordinaire), Lyman and I went outside on the driveway to get a buzz. That was a ritual with Groove Holmes, his visitors and fans. I particularly remember Lyman playing the Wyandotte Art Fair on the street in front of RP's and with Norma Jean at Jay's Lounge in the Pick Fort Shelby, around the time she was touring with Zappa. I think they were the house band because they played there so much. Bigger than life he was.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 582
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He was the funkiest white boy that I have ever heard. What a talent and a true gentleman. There will never be another Lyman Woodard. How sad and what a loss this is to the Detroit music scene. God bless you, Lyman.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 948
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 2:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lady, you got it! Funky, funky funky! AND groovy, groovy, groovy!

Cozmikdebris
Username: Cozmikdebris

Post Number: 46
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sad news. I was recently listening to my copy of the Organization at JJ's in the Shelby that was simulcast on WDET in Oct '74 and wondering if he was still performing. I caught him at a few of the Montreux-Detroit Jazz Fests back in the day and last saw him at some outdoor thing in Greektown years ago (Chris Codish was playing, too).

Bobl

Post Number: 593
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lyman

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 953
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobl, thanks for the photo. I always remember Lyman with his little 'stache, goattee and kinda longish hair.

Rj_spangler
Username: Rj_spangler

Post Number: 119
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope that many of you from this forum show up next Monday at Cliff Bell's. This is where I saw him for the last time in December.

I played with Lyman for 6 years in the Sun Messengers and loved him very much.

http://metrotimes.com/blog/mus icblahg.asp?perm=626

Bobl

Post Number: 621
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a bump to remind all of the event tonight, in memory of Lyman Woodard. Link is above...

Lyman Woodard Alumni Musical Tribute
Monday, March 9 @ 9 pm
Cliff Bell's Jazz Club
2030 Park Ave, Detroit, MI 48226
(313)961-2543

(Message edited by Bobl on March 09, 2009)

Rj_spangler

Post Number: 123
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good idea Bobl - thanks!

Bobl

Post Number: 624
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 4:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Young Woodard

Rj_spangler

Post Number: 124
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those that don't know, the pic above is Lyman Woodard IV.

Bagman
Username: Bagman

Post Number: 147
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RJ,
GREAT SHOW last night at CLIFF BELL'S.
Lyman would have been proud to see the place as packed as it was. The music was Killer and the vibe could not have been better. It was nice to see the real players who turned out to show their respects.

Bobl

Post Number: 626
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, RJ, Leonard, and Cliff Bell's!

A great tribute to a nice man. Many musicians and fans, with good music and nice stories of golden moments with Lyman.

Rj_spangler

Post Number: 125
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 1:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We told the racier stories after the bar closed!

Damn I'm gonna miss that man.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 422
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 3:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Used to see Lyman with the Sun Messengers at Mr. Lou's Rhythm & Blues on Detroit's east side in the early '90s (Mack and Three Mile Drive.) I didn't have a car, but I lived right down the street and would just walk up to hear that funky Hammond on a Saturday night. RIP, Lyman. And RIP, Mr. Lou's. Good times on Mack Avenue.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 1054
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh wow, I forgot about Mr. Lou's! Wasn't it also, or later, called the Blue Rose? That was one place close to the Cabbage Patch that looked past my fake ID!
RIP Lyman Woodard

(Message edited by alley on March 11, 2009)

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1071
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 2:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See Lyman Woodard Memorial/Wake photos on Gar Wood link here at DY. Posted about 03-11 or 03-12.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.