Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » WDET & Ann Delisi- local music back on the air! » Archive through February 10, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6621
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 4:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pleasant tidings found in The Detroit News about the return of local music and local favorite, Ann Delisi to the airwaves once more:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20090209/E NT10/902090379

And Martin Bandyke getting let go at WQKL this week as well?

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20090206/E NT10/902060447

Perhaps Martin will join WDET andwe can harken back to the days when WDET played a fair share more local music along with an eclectic blend of interesting tunes?

All we need are Judy Adams, Willie Wilson, John Pennie and a few of the others to come back and we can "reform the band".

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 911
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 4:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GREAT DEAL, I can listen to good music while I post stupid stuff to all ya,ll.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 912
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 5:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in my "Golden age" I,D LISTEN TO WDET. I listen to it when I wanna hear the BBC.I miss the old radio vault,The Famous Coachman{RIP} AND Willie Wilson on fridays.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 478
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 7:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ann Delisi's return to WDET is a gift to us all. It is hoped that the eclectic blend of music that was once enjoyed from that station returns.
This brings a memory of the sad day that Dave Dixon abruptly left the station. I believe Ann had the undesirable job of taking his spot. I phoned in to give her encouragement, and to tell her that there was no ill will felt towards her. The staff person who took my call explained that this would "make her day", and put me through to Ann, who was gracious and a joy to talk to.

Alec
Username: Alec

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you missed the point- it says they're not going back to 'the old days'

"Similarly, while the return of Delisi means more music, WDET is not turning the clock back to an all-music format. Ellcessor plans a mix of music and news that he feels is forward-looking and suited to Detroit. Delisi will be part of that."

Cinderpath
Username: Cinderpath

Post Number: 937
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow- If they bring Adams and Bandyke back, I'll donate again. I haven't sent them a check in years, since they cut the music and turned WDET into just another genaric NPR station (except for the few local programs of Backstory, and Detroit Today and Ed Love). Killing the music was probably the dumbest business decision I have seen in years. Playing BBC throughout the night? Come on. I am not going to pay for that when I can stream it from the 'net.

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 77
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like a lot of things about the current format - I never liked the music those djs played anyway. I can listen to music on my ipod, but I can't as easily get NPR shows.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3474
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bandyke? Does that mean we're going to hear lots of Los Lobos again? (and again, and again, and again, and again, and ...)

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 768
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bring back Martin & Judy!

Bobl

Post Number: 480
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alec: It's an improvement...
"Delisi, who was a popular WDET host from 1983-1995, will once again bring Detroiters a diverse playlist, with local sounds high up in the mix. "There will be music from somebody living and working and making music in Detroit every single hour that she is on the air," Ellcessor said. "That's a promise."

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 320
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Veteran pop culture journalist Susan Whitall, another local "gift to us all," expands on her article briefly from a fan's perspective at her News blog.
quote:

. . . a music lover's music host [is] returning to her old stomping ground. . . .

I don't know if I ever felt she was free to play everything she liked after she left WDET. At Windsor's The River, she was locked into the AAA (adult alternative) format.

Right now, satellite radio is the only solace for music fans, so it's going to be fun to listen to Delisi choose the tunes once again.

Baselinepunk
Username: Baselinepunk

Post Number: 104
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love this news. WDET hasn't been the same since she and the others left.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 1886
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitnerd, you beat me to it. I was going to say I really hope Bandyke comes back, because what I really want is to listen to hours and hours of Los Lobos every week... :-)

Also if anyone misses the old WDET hosts like Judy Adams and John Mosier, they are both still on the air every week on the University of Windsor's radio station - 91.5, streaming online at http://cjam.ca

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 544
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bring back Brave New Waves if you want to expand your listening experience.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 1048
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bring back Radios In Motion.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1913
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brave New Waves is on CBC2.

I tried to bring back Radios in Motion and got shot down. One excuse: "You would have to pay for your own engineer..."

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 543
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Say, that's nice to hear!

Does anyone know if Liz Copeland's current show is streamed or podcast? I don't remember where she is now. Denver, I think?

O.

Otter

Post Number: 544
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Say, that's nice to hear!

Does anyone know if Liz Copeland's current show is streamed or podcast? I don't remember where she is now. Denver, I think?

O.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 499
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To "bring back Radios in Motion" you'd have to bring back the program's originator, Jerry Stormer.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 1887
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good question Otter.

All the CJAM shows are archived in 60 minute block MP3's for 30 days on the station website. The process is automated, so sometimes it's off by a few minutes, but it's all there...

Judy Adams Show (Tuesdays 9:00 am - 10:30 am):

Part 1 (9:00-10:00):

http://137.207.3.130/cjam-0902 07-0900-t1233997201.mp3

Part 2 (10:00-11:00):

http://137.207.3.130/cjam-0902 07-1000-t1234000800.mp3

John Mosier Midnight to 2:00 am Friday night/Saturday Morning:

Part one:

http://137.207.3.130/cjam-0902 07-0000-t1233964800.mp3

Part two:

http://137.207.3.130/cjam-0902 07-0100-t1233968400.mp3

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 371
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"To "bring back Radios in Motion" you'd have to bring back the program's originator, Jerry Stormer."

Actually, Mike Halloran was the originator of "Radios in Motion". Jerry Stormer I think was the name of the WDET engineer working the 2:00am time slot, which was Radios in Motion's original starting time.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 500
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, actually Jerry Stormer was. I worked at 'DET at the time, on weekends in fact, and knew both of them - still do. It was Storm's brainchild, Mike came up second...

Bobl

Post Number: 481
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the input, Jimg. Always good to hear from a knowledgible music lover who has been there. Still in the gear business?

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 280
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Killing off public radio music programming in one of the nation's best and most important music markets = massively stupid move. Let's hope they see the light and go some ways towards undoing it.

Guideboat
Username: Guideboat

Post Number: 43
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forgive me if I missed it in the article, but what show(s) will be cut to make space for Ann Delisi?

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 548
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimg, I didn't know Jere had Radios In Motion before Mike Halloran did. I was a fan of Jere's show, BandPass. I know the title of the RIM show came from a song by the band XTC. Jere mentions on the bio of his recent musical project that he hosted both RIM and BandPass. Dimension, before and after Ralph Valdez and Martin Bandyke, was another great show on 'DET.

Otter

Post Number: 551
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guideboat,

They're doing some rejiggering of their scheduling overall, dropping about 5 shows and rearranging their schedule. I have a PDF with a handy side-by-side schedule comparison (I'm on their email list), but it's a bit much to describe briefly in words.

But a big BOOOOO! for dropping Afropop Wordlwide! I can still listen to it here (Chicago) but I am usually doing something else when it's on friday night - Sunday night at home is much easier.

O.

Skylark
Username: Skylark

Post Number: 128
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is great news about Ann! I hope she's on during the daytime hours.

Otter

Post Number: 553
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the new schedule, she'll be on from noon to 4PM on Saturdays and Sundays.

O.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6626
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 4:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awwww... personally I was hoping to get five days worth of Ann Delisi during the day or early evenings, but considering it's still having her back on the air again- I'll take what I can get.

Essentially it was the old John Pennie spot and that's fine, but like I said on a very personal sheer greed of wanting a station that can help educate my musical palette- I was wanting more.

It's a small celebration I'll savor now and hopefully there will be more to be had when the rest of the schedule is announced.