Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Monica for mayor » Archive through February 27, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1554
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lheartted, I did a spittake after reading your post.

Amen, Registered.

Baselinepunk
Username: Baselinepunk

Post Number: 128
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a tool. The plantation drop was completely uncalled for. Her divisive politics keeps her in power -- much like Patty.

Her operation is grade school. She's even faking the accent to make her sound "real" and further the conversation goes, the more "real" she gets.

Give me a break. She over talks and shouts at people --- that's how she gets heard. Some one needs to call her a fucking racist and get it on so we can get over it. She is the type of person that is looking for a fight; D-towners can fight with the best of them and I think it's about time some one put their foot in her ass.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1702
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone calling her a racist will only strengthen her position.

When she said she wasn't stupid because schools don't just give out law degrees, all I could think of was, not everyone can graduate first in their class.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 498
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The city is sinking to new lows with these idiots behind the wheel.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 917
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ms. Conyers attended an open admissions law school that had a huge financial incentive to keep all of its students until graduation. In other words, it was and still is very difficult to flunk out. Her law degree isn't really much proof that she's not stupid. As for her inability to gain admission to the bar, well, bar exams are very difficult, even for smart people, right?

But the truth is that she is not stupid. And that is the problem. She has been smart enough and organized enough to capitalize exclusively on her name (prior to her election she had almost no record of public service or exceptional achievement) to acquire an elected position of considerable power. She is smart enough to be able to organize a political base of like minded folks with a toxic, poisonous and divisive worldview. We can only wish that she were stupid. Then she might not be so dangerous and harmful to the politics of our region.

Crosswordgirl
Username: Crosswordgirl

Post Number: 479
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i dunno swingline............she's gonna look kinda stupid if she is placed behind bars......

Casstech1981
Username: Casstech1981

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

6th grade was the best three years of MC's life

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1556
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She's cunning and her husband has money and resources. This is the ONLY reason she is where she is today.

Baselinepunk
Username: Baselinepunk

Post Number: 129
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understand, sj;however, she's basically called me racist by proxy because I live in the 'burbs. I don't take kindly to those types of words being thrown around and being unfairly tagged.

Bitch is a divisive racist. She's not crazy, she's just an old school racist.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 785
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

F@ck!

<313>

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 741
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DAYUM Casstech1981, that was HARSH!

But oh-so-good.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 786
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honestly, if this happens, Detroit is truly a lost city.

If the citizens vote her in, (you) truly deserve nothing good!

<313>

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 579
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who is Call 'em out?

"Call’em Out!!! is a Detroit-based community political action group “dedicated to the mission of stamping out samboing and selling-out of our community by elected officials.” For the past several years, Call’em-Out!!! has held various meetings, pickets, and community actions to hold elected officials accountable to the people with the motto:

When Elected Officials in the City of Detroit Do Not Serve in the Interest of the People in the City of Detroit, Call'em-Out!!!"

Quote is from their website.

Casstech1981
Username: Casstech1981

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MC and best friend

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 785
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Call'em-Out is another one of those "good in theory, bad in practice" type of organizations.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3833
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Monica Conyers has never run in a re-election campaign.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5943
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"Call’em Out!!! is a Detroit-based community political action group “dedicated to the mission of stamping out samboing and selling-out of our community by elected officials.” For the past several years, Call’em-Out!!! has held various meetings, pickets, and community actions to hold elected officials accountable to the people with the motto:

When Elected Officials in the City of Detroit Do Not Serve in the Interest of the People in the City of Detroit, Call'em-Out!!!"

What this means in its most basic sense is don't compromise or try to reach detente. Whitey is evil and only out to keep the black man down. Only accept exactly what you want and be damned to the consequences. Real sound political philosophy.

Cushkid
Username: Cushkid

Post Number: 83
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone see "let it rip" she didn't drive a wedge between the city and the suberbs she wedged a Mack truck in there. Between the Plantation remark and the fact that she says "all Oakland county has is grocery stores and a mall." now thats what I call cooperation

Nem
Username: Nem

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have had it...I really have. I have sat back and watched Monica's antics and kept my mouth shut figuring she would self destruct on her own. But unfortunately, the city of Detroit seems to nurture crooks like her. The mentality of Detroit vs. Suburbs, black vs. white and vise versa HAS to stop NOW. This region is fighting for its very existance and people like Monica and Kwame feel the selfish need to start baiting the people of Detroit for their own personal gain. I have tried for years to convince my friends and family that Detroit is turning the corner and that there are good things happening. But I have to say that over the last year and a half even I have lost faith in Detroit's revitalization. Until the people of Detroit stop blaming others for their problems and take some responsibility for their actions and the people they choose to represent them, I want nothing to do with the city...period. Her torpedoing of the Cobo deal has a huge impact on everyone in Michigan not just those within the Detroit borders. I am done with this city.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 943
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have lost faith - but maybe a few years ago. Still live in SWD and my home is worthless, so can't easily move.

Detroit really is a third-world country now. Conyers is the corrupt junta chief.

I have acknowledged that I am racist. It is something to examine my conscience about. But how can I help it?

Bobl

Post Number: 581
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, the contributions from Nem and Southwestmap sum things up.
Ms Conyers and others seem hell bent on extinguishing any spark or movement toward regionalism.
Without a metropolitan approach, Detroit will continue to resemble a "third world country". The suburbs will continue to cocoon themselves into sterile, empty communities where the younger people move to more desirable areas of the country and the elders are shut in watching the world pass them by on TV.
Nem is correct when he writes: "The mentality of Detroit vs. Suburbs, black vs. white and vise versa HAS to stop NOW."

(Message edited by Bobl on February 27, 2009)

Registeredguest
Username: Registeredguest

Post Number: 152
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe a simple solution for this mess would be for the state to cut all revenue sharing and other support to Detroit, thereby forcing Detroit to take a serious look at itself and make the tough decisions that it's needed to make for the past 50 years. Enough of the state subsidizing this failure. This mess. These fools. I really want to see City Council, the Unions, the Mayor, the cronies, the contractors and all the other "stakeholders" have to make some tough decisions and face reality, the sort of tough decisions that those who live, vote and pay taxes in Detroit make on a day-to-day basis.

And this comes from a Detroit resident who "ain't" planning on moving anytime soon, regardless of the dysfunction.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1558
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feel the same way, Registered. I love this city, but I think those who are anti-regionalism need to realize how much they need the region.

Killing the Cobo deal made something inside me snap.

Bobl

Post Number: 583
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Detroit City Council President Monica Conyers says she has been asked to run for mayor.

"We need a woman," she said during a Channel 2 news "Let It Rip" segment Thursday. "People have asked me and I didn't say a word. ... I'm just listening."

Monica Conyers, just listening....
Now, there is an oxymoron!!

Sec106
Username: Sec106

Post Number: 43
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly same reaction lodger, something snapped over this. Like no matter what it will never get better because of this type of nonsense. It is heart breaking, we will still be in Detroit all the time but it is just so freaking frustrating. I just want to shake the hell out of MC and the other fools who are killing Detroit.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1534
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swingline--what is the "open admissions" law school that you say Monica attended? Looking at my April Bar Journal ( 2008) which lists all Michigan attorneys, I do not see her name listed as either an active or an inactive attorney. Her husband,(Representative) John Conyers is listed as "inactive" with offices in Washington, DC.
If she claims to be a "practicing attorney", she is not practicing in Michigan or she is guilty of a felony.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5952
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I've read, she never passed the bar either here or in Washington

Denbytar64
Username: Denbytar64

Post Number: 145
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

funniest thread ever posted.

Jayjoejee
Username: Jayjoejee

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

agreed. absolutely hilarious

Leannam1989
Username: Leannam1989

Post Number: 201
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish Freud were still alive. I'm sure he would love to diagnose Conyers and Kwame.