Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Georgia Street Community Collective Information Thread » Archive through February 19, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 1099
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have no idea what is happening. I was told 8 oclock. Now its 9 oclock.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 670
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am disapointed. What happened to the replay at 8:00? I watched on line for 45 minutes at first I thought you would be in the second half but no dice.

I hope someone taped it.

This morning I was attending a Gardening Seminar at Wiegands. I was with a fellow Landscaper and we agreed it was a total waste of time. The subject was Shade Gardening. It was like gardening 101. This, to a group of more than fifty professionals. This was the first of four lectures. The lecturer asked at the end of the two hour program if we had any questions and we just stared at her. Hopefully, the next three lecturers by three different people will more informative. At least the program was free.

Vivadetroit
Username: Vivadetroit

Post Number: 158
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 7:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they gave us some wrong info when we went to the taping. Wednesday's show was rebroadcast at 8 pm yesterday, so we might have been on for the 9 pm segment. If not, maybe today.

They're supposed to be sending us a copy of the show next week. We'll have to post it then. Or unless someone saw & taped it last night...

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3592
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes please post it. I watched online last night and didn't see it either. We can't get that channel over here and I'd really like to see it. Look forward to it!

Cub

Post Number: 1103
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Lugotown, I am sorry, I am just realizing who you are and that I have met you on a few occasions including today. See you next Saturday.

Lugotown
Username: Lugotown

Post Number: 38
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hola-

no problem. i was hoping to talk to you today but then i didn't see you anymore. hope you had a great birthday. now i see why you are the way you are, it's in the sign. i'm an aquarius, too. :-)

Lugotown

Post Number: 39
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh, i asked about the list of community gardens and although they have one, they cannot for confidential reasons provide it to people. that's why they don't list the locations on the website. so, i'll just have to keep asking people where their locations are and keep driving around to find them.

Sumas

Post Number: 721
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Sumas

Post Number: 731
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I admit, I was stunned to hear Skillman turned you down. Here is a copy of the email I sent. I will follow up by sending this letter to board members and the grant committee. Format doesn't lend itself well to the internet but the letter form looks pretty.

February 15, 2009

Dear Skillman Foundation,

I commend you for your funding regarding enhancing the lives of Detroit children and the improvement of their neighborhoods. I was surprised to read on a forum called Detroityes that your reputation for neighborhood improvement assistance doesn’t have a very good reputation for outreach or results. I suggest you read “the Skillman Foundation thread on Discuss Detroit.

I was seriously stunned to hear via another source, you turned down an application by the Georgia Street Community Gardens for grant monies.

This is a remarkable initiative that has had national press in several markets across the nation via the Associated Press, local coverage including newspapers, radio and TV. It has also been highlighted on the Internet by other urban community garden web pages, community groups and garden club newsletters.

A short history:

The Georgia Street Gardens started less than a year ago because a young man, Mark Covington decided to get rid of neighborhood blight in vacant properties in his community, as a large parcel was cleaned, he started to envision a community garden to act as a hub for community pride particularly with emphasis on the children.

With little knowledge of gardening, a big vision, loads of energy and commitment he has created a small miracle in a blighted area. He has enlisted scores of volunteers from the city and suburbs. So many people with so many talents, gardeners, builders, carpenters, sculptors and scores of other folk who have assisted in so many ways. It is now an urban oasis of hope.

All this in less than a year!

A short synopsis of accomplishments:

· Cleared vacant land of trash
· Envisioned a community garden
· Found compatriots from city and suburbs to start the garden
· Started a Saturday reading night for children with adult volunteers reading aloud.
· Saturday night GP movies following the readings
· School supply give-always with donations from an ever-growing pool of donors.
· A children’s book giveaway
· A harvest festival in the garden for the community
· A Christmas dinner for the community in an area church annex
· A family was relocated to a new home and Christmas dinner and gifts supplied

· Acquired two buildings adjacent to the garden to create a community center.
· Work has begun by volunteers to up grade these abandoned buildings
· Creation of a non profit with a diverse board of directors
· Creation of a Web site
· A super bowl fund raiser

This list is by no means inclusive of successful achievements. I would like to repeat my former comment, All this in under a year!

I am personally in awe of what has been created out of urban blight and the many, many accomplishments of this dedicated group. Their goals for this year are equally impressive. I hope to be a small contributor to their aspirations.

In light of the current emphasis on urban gardening, organic and sustainable living and your goals to enhance childhood education through neighborhood programs, this successful program is very worthy.

I sincerely request that you reconsider this application.

Cub

Post Number: 1118
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow!!! Thank You Sumas!! It will be nice if it works. I have met a couple people that work for the Skillman foundation also. They are trying to steer them in this direction. A higher up in their organization has visited with The Greening of Detroit.

Lugotown

Post Number: 49
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hola-

i am a little familiar w/ the skillman foundation. i just recently learned of a hs classmate that works there. i thought that you must be a 501 c 3 to apply for grant money. i know it's in process for georgia st but maybe that's what happened. if i can get any additional, specific info for you, let me know.

Sumas

Post Number: 745
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 5:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub, here is two good reasons to make 501(c)3 status a hugh priority. I've been contacted by some of the other forumers regarding Grants, I have a hugh file with grant opportunities mostly regarding, gardening, the enviroment and kids programs. I also posted this grant info under the Skillman thread since I am getting emails about grant info from others

Ben & Jerry's Foundation

Types of Grants
Full grants - Awards are granted ranging from $1,001 - $15,000.

Small grants - Throughout the year, the Ben & Jerry's Foundation may fund a small number of material grants for $1,000 or less for innovative programs that fit into our general guidelines and that are infused with a spirit of hopefulness. Applications for small grants utilize the same Letter of Interest application form as full grant requests.

B & J grants particularly favors grassroot organiziations with an emphasis on social change. I could write this grant with my eyes closed. GSCG fits their requirements like a glove.

Lego has a Foundation for kids programs. Their donations are generally $500 to $5000.

Grant opportunity for kids is hugh. Neighborhood revitization are a little harder to find but they are there.

In particular these two grants don't require matching sums. If you can get this type of funding coming in, these grant can be leveraged as matching funds for other grants that require matching funds.

If your looking for other fundraisers I suggest growing gladiolas. You plant the corms as early as you can work the soil and keep planting more corms each week for eight to nine weeks. Harvesting will start roughly mid July and continue through September. The flowers could be sold at the Warren Avenue market. Free stalls. The first year investment is high because of the corm purchase. Check with GROW Wayne for seed (no pun intended) Also you don't need to be a non profit. The big return comes the second year since you dig the corms up in the fall. The corms make babies so you have twice the inventory next year at no cost. Pure profit excluding labor.

Sumas

Post Number: 746
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry for multiple posts but I've been up most of the night and need something to do. I have a cute project for the younger kids that is quite simple. Growing a playhouse. Project needs: Sunflower Seeds. annual morning Glory seeds & string. Dig a Bed 8'x8'x8'x8' by 10" wide leaving a 3' opening for the door Leave grass on the inside. Plant annual morning Glory vines inbetween the sunflowers. When the sunflowers are 1.5 feet high wrap a row of string around the perimeter. do it again when the plants are taller. repeat this as necessary. Morning glory needs the string for support to climb. At the end of the season, harvest the seed for the bird houses. One caution however tear out the morning glory in the fall before they go to seed. They are self seeders and if left go they can become invasive.

You can also make a pole bean teepee. Use 5 six foot bamboo garden poles. Anchor into the ground in a circle leaving space for the door. Pull the tops together and tie off with rope or wire. Plant Pole beans by the stakes

Also have the kids make stepping stones. Cake pans in different shapes work well for this project and it is a good project for outdoors. Use reddimix concrete and the blue gray cement dye. Pour into pans that have been heavily greased with vaseline, when it sets slightly, have the kids make palm prints Be sure to grease their hands. You may want to write their name and the year. This can be done with paw prints of favorite pets too. Adults might want to try this too. Take Plant leaves like ferns or sprigs of lavendar to make impressions. Jello molds work well too, to use for garden sculptures.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7761
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very nice Sumas impressive how you use those dreaded sleepless nights into something of value.

One, maybe offbeat, suggestion, help and encourage the kids to keep a journal/scrapbook of their experiences both with the activities with the Collective and in other parts of their lives.

Vivadetroit

Post Number: 164
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas, you are wonderful. What great ideas.

We are making the 501c3 application a priority. Believe me! We're been finding many great opportunities for 501c3 groups and wishing we could speed the process up. Since we're a grass-roots group and times are tough in Detroit, it's been a slow process to raise the $750 needed for the Federal application fee.

We've been raising money (Super Bowl party) and are thankful for all of the donations we've received from people all over the US since our inception. That encompasses anything that people have given -- whether it's money, their time, the talents, and/or items. We're just about $125 short of the goal. As soon as we get it, we'll let you know!

But keep those ideas coming! I'll save them in our email box. Send em to georgiast313(at)yahoo(dot)com. Thanks!!

Vivadetroit

Post Number: 165
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of donations, we've got an odd request. We need some of your trash. Seriously.

We're starting work in the Gardens right now, despite the fact that they're a bit snow-covered right now. We need to start making compost for the spring and would like your help!

All you need is a can/bucket with a lid and you’re ready! Collect compostable items listed below and then bring them to the Community Garden at the corner of Vinton and Georgia. There are wooden bins to the right of the big movie screen by the chain link fence. Drop it off and watch your trash turn into healthy fruits and vegetables this summer!

Materials TO Compost
Ashes, wood, bark, shredded cardboard and newspaper, fruit waste, leaves, peanut shells, peat moss, pine needles, sawdust, straw, shredded stems and twigs, vegetable stalks, coffee grounds, food waste, garden waste, grass clippings and vegetable scraps

Materials NOT to Compost
Meat scraps, fatty food wastes, milk products, bones, diseased plants, treated wood, pet or human waste, ivy, and other weeds

Thanks in advance for your help! If you have questions, send us an email at the address in the post above.

Sumas

Post Number: 749
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As soon as I find a bucket with a lid, I start collecting. For kitchen waste my father in law would keep a covered medium size tupperware container in tttthe kitchen, fill it with eggs shells and other left overs. When the bin was full he would take it to the garage and put in a blender and liquify it. The liquid is a good excellerant for the Browns in the pile.

Tkierpiec
Username: Tkierpiec

Post Number: 177
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't there talk of having a yard sale at one point? I have a bunch of stuff that I've boxed up that I am preparing to donate to Salvation Army but if the Collective is planning on having a sale in the spring, I'll hold off.

Sumas

Post Number: 750
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope so. I got a whole garage of pretty stuff that I need to cull. I need something to motivate me

Cub

Post Number: 1123
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes we are planning a yard sale in the garden.
I had planned to put it to the board but forgot. We will have news on it by next week.

Cub

Post Number: 1124
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out www.sweet-juniper.com

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 486
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a great write-up! We are so proud of you, Mark!

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 716
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-)

Cookin64
Username: Cookin64

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That article is so straight and to the point! Cub u are there!!!!

Thames
Username: Thames

Post Number: 391
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW!

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 117
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i just learned about the garden from the sweet juniper post the other day. how amazing - i'm in total awe! now that i know about it i'm going to keep checking back for updates. keep up the good work!

Girlygirl
Username: Girlygirl

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bravo Mark!! I saw the link on FB, but couldn't access it, glad I saw it here. What a great article!

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 930
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 4:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Reddog has a running truck and coffee grounds. Gotta head to the garden.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3691
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wonderful article Cub! I've sent the link to my friend in Denver. She is the gal that used to live on Bessemore that I've mentioned before. I've told her all about the revitalization going on in the neighborhood, as well as about the Collective's accomplishments. She said the next time she comes into town she wants to come by and meet you. Hopefully, she will get to visit this summer.

Hey Cookin64 - whatcha' got cookin?

Cookin64
Username: Cookin64

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Eriedearie!!!!!
How have you been?