Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through March 03, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 661
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB, of course we're trying to be inspirational! ;-) I don't know what Cursillo is - as this is my first retreat. If the silence gets too loud, J - I'll jump the gates and into your getaway car.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 696
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, the PIME Missionaries had a large facility on Stoddard Rd. (the county line between Macomb & St. Clair counties) outside of Memphis. It was, I'm told, a seminary and home for "wayward boys". It was later sold to a group headed by the famous Fr. Vaughn Quinn & became Sacred Heart rehab and remains so to this day. I'm well familiar with it in that it was our next door neighbor (actually 1/4 mile up the road) before we moved up here. Beautiful location.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 422
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG, Cursillo is a weekend long retreat - one weekend for men, the next weekend for women. Talks, group tables, etc - a very good thing to go through. It is a national movement for the Catholics which is sililar the Emmaus Walk or Tres Dias for Protestants. Truly life changing. I knew some Capuchins back in the day. Good luck on your retreat as well as you, Eastburn.

Eastburn

Post Number: 697
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Laing. It's always a good weekend. Sort of feels like going home since I've done the retreat for so many years. It also lets me spend time with a bunch of good friends whom I only see once a year.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1352
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cfg: I understand the above group will be at the silent retreat. God bless

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1353
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wishing all who are attending retreats an introspective, contemplative, and a spiritually enriching time of reflection. God bless you all.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 662
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks KR - the above group would certainly match the criteria required for this retreat! I'm very much looking forward to this spiritually enriching time - Life details can certainly remove me from what I feel I need to do in terms of a more prayerful committment. God Bless you too!

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 663
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Laing - I didn't know that. I think I'll be going to the best retreat for me at this time and that's the Silent one as opposed to open forum talking. Hopefully, it will be a nice weather weekend, even if cold, so I can walk some of the nature trails...we'll see.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5964
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, EB, how did the retreat go?

Eastburn

Post Number: 698
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm so holy you couldn't stand to be near me.

It was great. One of the priests is a friend of Bill's so that makes it even better.

Jcole

Post Number: 5967
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aren't a lot of priests FOB?
I'm glad you had a good and holy time. Wasn't it a bit chill to walk the grounds, though?

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 664
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Morning J - and EB - Hope to come back "holier than thou" next weekend! :-)
Glad you enjoyed your retreat - I sure am looking forward to mine!

Eastburn

Post Number: 699
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC, yea, I've met a lot of them. What else do they have to do?

CFG, I'm sure you'll get a lot out of it. The silent part isn't bad. At St. Paul's we talk at meals & can talk outside & in the gathering room at any time.

I only took one short walk.

Jcole

Post Number: 5968
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB, not much to do other than cards, a drink or two and maybe a good cigar. I remember the old days.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 665
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB - the Silent part is the part I'm looking forward to the most!

Eastburn

Post Number: 700
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot of the reason I go is to reconnect with guys I only see there. There's not so much noise in my life these days so the silence isn't as important as it is to young kids like you, CFG.

Eastburn

Post Number: 701
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC, isn't it a damn shame they have that Guest House to spoil the fun? Of course it's not in Orchard Lake any more. They have to go to MN now.

Jcole

Post Number: 5970
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought Columbiere was still around Oakland County somewher

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2730
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Clarkston

Jcole

Post Number: 5972
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's it. Thanks. Wasn't that religious and laic?

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 666
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks EB - I needed that!
Columbiere is near my brother's house in Davisburg - We pass it when on a visit.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 667
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feel like Greta Garbo - isn't she the one that said I Just Vant to be ALONE! Obviously well before all of our times!

Eastburn

Post Number: 702
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alcoholic priests don't go to Columbierre (at least as far as I know) they go to Guest House. Used to be in Lake Orion - now treats women religious (all those nuns we drove to drink) the one in MN is for men.

"Opened in Michigan in 1956, Guest House is a charitable organization dedicated to the treatment of Catholic priests, deacons, brothers, seminarians and (since 1994) women religious with alcoholism, other chemical dependencies and related problems. Guest House operates two licensed treatment centers, one at Rochester, Minnesota for priests and male religious and the other in Lake Orion, Michigan for women religious. More than 7,000 priests and religious have been cared for. They have come from more than 165 dioceses, 120 religious communities and 48 countries worldwide. The vast majority have returned to their ministries renewed in health, purpose and spirituality." - from http://www.charitynavigator.or g/index.cfm?bay=search.summary &orgid=8118

See, JC, I can use Google, too.

Jcole

Post Number: 5974
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the skinny on Colombiere:
About Colombiere

Colombiere is one of the best-kept secrets in Southeastern Michigan. Secluded, yet only a short drive from Flint, Detroit or Lansing off I-75, conference attendees avoid the distractions of the city and surround themselves with acres of towering pines, oaks and walking trails. Gardens and pathways are open invitations for quiet walks.

Colombiere opened as a Jesuit training facility in 1959. It is named after Claude de la Colombiere, a Jesuit teacher, orator and spiritual director, who lived in France from 1641 to 1682 and was canonized May 31, 1992. From the beginning, the Jesuit infirmary for the sick and retired priests and brothers has been located here, as well as a large community of Jesuits involved in the operation of Colombiere.

Since 1978, Colombiere has been the home of an independently operated residential treatment center for substance abusers called Insight Recovery Center, Inc. Shepherd's Hollow, a 27 hole public golf course, was opened on our grounds in July 2000.

Currently we serve as a conference and retreat center with accommodations for day and overnight guests including appealing buffet style meals, spacious meeting rooms, an auditorium, gymnasium and other amenities. Although the facilities reflect the Jesuit influence, they are not limited to those of the Catholic faith. The Conference Center hosts a wide spectrum of non-profit and for profit groups and is available for educational, religious, and governmental day and overnight programs, as well as both corporate and religious retreats.

Colombiere

That's why I was confused, I think. They offer rehab by Insight Recovery, INC on the premises

Also, I think a priest I knew went there a couple times

Eastburn

Post Number: 703
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they might treat Jesuits there. Seems I've met more alcoholic Jesuits than any other "brand" of priests. also some of the best, and most intellegent, priests I've known, especially the drunks.

Jcole

Post Number: 5975
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Jesuits, as an order, work very hard. I've read some and seen some movies about them as well as my older daughter going to UDM, which is a Jesuit run university. The also don't take any shit from anybody

Eastburn

Post Number: 704
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to UD for my 1st 3 years of college & was impressed by the Jesuits. That positive impression has been increased by social interaction I've had with a number of them, especially FOBs.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2731
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The grounds of Columbiere was also the sight of the first Michigan Renaissance Fair for the first 4-5 years or so.

Jcole

Post Number: 5979
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never went to that location, but I used to take the girls to the one on Dixie Hwy. til they were in college.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1836
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... a couple of days of seclusion, silence, prayer, rest, ... sounds great!