Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » $14 turkey sandwich at Book Cadillac's "Spa 19" ?! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanpioneer
Username: Urbanpioneer

Post Number: 62
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this a service issue or a management issue? Since the Book Cadillac opened, I've stayed there New Year's Eve for my wedding night _ great, great hotel; eaten at Roast _ truly amazing; and had lunch at Spa 19 _ the first time great, the second time, yesterday, it felt like a rip off. I ordered the $14 "oven roasted -turkey breast sandwich with bacon" and fries.
The fries were great, the turkey sandwich was made with turkey-breast lunchmeat, like you buy at Kroger! The bread was whole-wheat like I could buy in a plastic wrapper at University Foods. Twice I told two different servers that this is NOT over-roasted turkey breast --- which to me means a turkey breast roasted in the oven and then sliced. Twice they told me the cook slices off thin pieces from a loaf. They were puzzled as to why I kept insisting was this ROASTED in YOUR OVER! I tried explaining to them that is the processed turkey I get at the grocery store; they did not seem to care.
Question: Has anyone else had this sandwich? Did they have real turkey or was it lunchmeat? Does anyone think this is a sign of what is going to come?
The server did ask if I wanted anything else; I was half-through my meal and didn't want to wait.
That said _ the fries and bean soup and dessert were great.

24grille
Username: 24grille

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanpioneer: I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your sandwhich at the Book-Cadillac. I have copied your post and forwarded it to the WESTIN. A note of correction: You did NOT eat at SPA 19, you ate at the BOULEVARD ROOM, which is the Westin's breakfast and lunch spot on the 2nd floor of the Westin.

Spa 19/ 24 Grille is located on the first floor of the Book-Cadillac on the Michigan Avenue side. We are an independent restaurant (not Westin owned). We offer a $10 Cajun Turkey-Steak Sandwich served on a french baquette for lunch. The Boulevard room has a $14 sliced turkey sandwhich and bean soup on their menu.

I hope you will give 24 Grille a try for lunch or dinner. We are four Detroiters that opened this concept in late January and need strong support from our fellow Detroiters. Spa 19 will actually be open April 1, and will complete our total collection of a Grille, Champagne Bar, and Spa in the Book-Cadillac. Hope to see you soon.

www.Spa1924Grille.com

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 8619
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yum

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 308
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urban I also would like to clear up that you ate at the boulevard room and not spa1924grille.

Trust me you are not the only one who did not have a good experience at the boulevard room.

www.DetroitArmy.com

Urbanpioneer
Username: Urbanpioneer

Post Number: 63
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for correcting. I've been trying to get to the grill. I will try it ASAP. Remember- I'm very impressed with the Book Cadillac and love roast.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1752
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$14 for a sammich? Even in a non-dire economy, I wouldn't bite.

Kimmiann
Username: Kimmiann

Post Number: 74
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Am I the only one who is appalled at the idea of a $14 turkey sandwich?!?

Kimmiann
Username: Kimmiann

Post Number: 75
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess not!

Registeredguest
Username: Registeredguest

Post Number: 154
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^ Too bad you didn't pay an equal amount of attention to the name of the restaurant (at the top of the menu, in case you missed it over the restaurant entryway) as you did to the description of your sandwich and the texture of your lunch meat while dining and before posting your rant.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 818
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

or maybe going to the manager of the actual restaurant would be a good start.

Lugotown
Username: Lugotown

Post Number: 69
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i loved 24 grille. only been there twice but recommend it to many. it's still a bit pricey so can't go as frequently as i would like but it is less than roast (which i would love to try). 24 grille has a great environment and staff. but most importantly, the food is good and they serve proper portion sizes.

hope they get it together at the place you went to. you may want to write them a letter about your experience.

Mw2gs
Username: Mw2gs

Post Number: 149
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Classic Detroit whining

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 970
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey 24Grille,

LOVE your atmosphere. The fiance and I stayed at the BC two weekends ago when we went to see Rent. We had some cocktails there after. We didn't get any food as we were still stuffed from Seldom Blues before the show. The only "disappointment" is that apparently the "Stanley Cup" drink I ordered normally comes with dry ice but you were out.

Benfield
Username: Benfield

Post Number: 106
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$14 for a turkey sandwich? Appalling. The worst injustice since the Rwandan genocide. Someone should organize a letter writing campaign. Or call the Problem Solvers.

Enduro
Username: Enduro

Post Number: 166
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I gotta say that as a born and bread Detroiter I find the name "Urbanpioneer" to be a bit off putting. I'm sure your intentions are great but I'm just saying.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 859
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not only did he get the name of the restaurant wrong. He got it wrong on two separate visits!

I made it out to Grille 24 last week for cocktails. Decor and Service were great. Looking forward to trying their $5 happy hour menu.

(Message edited by sharmaal on March 05, 2009)

Zimm
Username: Zimm

Post Number: 109
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

blatant threadjacking is very off putting.

i'd like to hear more about this spa/grill. it reminds me of 80's "tan n' wash's."

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1843
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I once paid $14 for a sandwich, but that's not the bad part because it was pretty good. The bad part was that I had a sashimi appetizer so I could only eat half of the sandwich. I got a box to take take the other half with me and forgot it at the table, so I paif $14 for half a sandwich. Oh, well.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3820
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Technically, there should be no issue about a $14 sandwich in an upscale hotel.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 5083
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

$14 for a sammich?

He did say it came with fries. Such a deal.

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 267
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Next time you are unhappy with a sandwich that you bought at its posted menu price, I suggest you take out your frustrations by stiffing the server on a tip.

Then I would complain on a public website.

Then I would organize a strike and boycott of the restaurant.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1845
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"No Bagel, No Bagel, No Bagel, No Bagel."

Urbanfisherman
Username: Urbanfisherman

Post Number: 107
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I gotta say that as a born and bread Detroiter I find the name "Urbanpioneer" to be a bit off putting. I'm sure your intentions are great but I'm just saying.

What are your feelings on urbanfisherman, urbanvaquero, urbantiki, or urbanoutdoors?

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4214
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are we talking about over-roasted or oven-roasted turkey, here? Over is even in all caps, at one point. lol

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1389
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In Toronto, I can't remember where, at an upscale hotel I paid $24 for a sandwich w/fries. Not unheard of whatsoever. Paid close to the same in New York city on business.

If you have a problem with that, just like in those cities, there's a place (in Detroit's case, the Coneys) practically across the street that'll set you up for $7. And when I wasn't dining with clients, I enjoyed getting to know the locals there at those city places.

As to quality at the Boulevard, I've heard some complaints - but nothing but glowing things with Spa1924Grille or whatever it's called. I can't remember if it's Grille1924Spa, I keep calling it the 1923 Grille thinking about the coffee shop in Hamtramck.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1686
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...so the complaint is that the sandwich was $14 and you knew this BEFORE ordering it correct? Sounds like the REAL issue is not the cost but the sandwich is not what you wanted be it $5 or $14 and not the cost alone. I guess the cost was thrown in to add weigh to the complaint LOL.

Newlaster
Username: Newlaster

Post Number: 99
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have no problem paying for quality.

If the sandwich wasn't quality, then it definitely was not worth $14.

So if you don't feel like you are getting value, just don't order the $14 sandwich, right?

Enduro
Username: Enduro

Post Number: 167
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All good, Fisherman. It's the pioneer part. I was here all this time, the neighborhoods might be overgrown but it's not the northwest territory. Although I understand the northwest has several pricey restaurants.

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 366
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wal-Mart sells "oven roasted" turkey breast lunch meat in their prepackaged deli lunchmeat section...so just because it says "oven roasted" doesn't mean it was roasted in their oven. Did the menu have a photo? Probably not. Live and learn, and consider the negative possibilities when ordering in the future.

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 298
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In comparison to other experiences I have had, 14 dollars is not a lot of money for a sandwich with fries at an upscale hotel in a major downtown.

In actuality, it is a ridiculous amount if only looking at the ingredients individually. Bread is cheap, turkey (loaf) is cheap, lettuce is cheap.

However, you could ask "Why does my car cost twenty grand when steel is only a few hundred bucks a ton?" A lot goes into it.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1032
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I enjoyed eating at the Boulevard room, though I can't recall what I had.

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2238
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where is the big guy in the TV ad who shows up to confiscate the Miller High Life beer?

Fo'teen Dollahs for a Turkey Sandwich??

[One of my favorite all time TV ads]

Nickstone
Username: Nickstone

Post Number: 63
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First off, travel more, understand more. Restaurants at hotels do not intend to compete with coney islands. Second, thank god the Book Cadillac is back. Thank god. What it's done for our Washington Blvd is beyond words. I'll get there for dinner eventually, and I'll understand that hopefully the service and the quality of the food will make up for how much it will cost.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.