Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Festival Of Arts Canceled for Midtown Loop Construction « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 602
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like a one year cancellation of the Festival, due to construction of the Midtown Loop.
I have only a general knowledge of the Midtown Loop. Does anybody have details or artist's rendering of the projected finished project?

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3592
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this what they're calling the light-rail? If so, what a horrid choice for a name. Borrowing "Midtown" from Manhattan and "loop" from Chicago. This kind of generic naming shit makes me angry. If they try to call it that, we should dub it the Cass Corridor Night Train or something just to irritate them.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1740
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the project has nothing to do with rail transit whatsoever.

Detroitred
Username: Detroitred

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep. A detailed PDF with pictures, artist renderings, and explanations here:

http://www.detroitmidtown.com/ 05/doc_lib/presentation_midtow n_loop_greenway.pdf

If that doesn't work. Google 'detroit midtown loop' and it should be one of the first to come up...

(Message edited by DetroitRed on March 04, 2009)

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3593
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha. It's a streetscaping project, then. Oh, man. In that case, it deserves the dumb name. :-)

Detroitred
Username: Detroitred

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When all is done it should provide a nice pedestrian trail all the way from the DIA to the Riverwalk via the Dequindre Cut. Let's hope it actually happens (I'm naturally pessimistic of any city project.)

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3594
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These stupid plans ... remind me of somebody sprinkling sugar all over a hot steaming turd and then ringing the dinner bell ...

Dcmorrison12
Username: Dcmorrison12

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

plus.. Detroit didn't steal "midtown" from anybody. In fact, Manhattan doesn't own the name "midtown." Midtown isn't a name that you create... it's a name that explains what the area IS... it's just north of downtown, but not dense enough to be called downtown.. so it's midtown.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3595
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DCM12: Oh boo freakin' hoo. I'm afraid somebody does "own" the name: Midtown is a stupid brand name that a group of PR boosters have been trying to slap onto that part of town for years. Except when there's a murder; when somebody gets shot, then that MUST have happened in the BAD OLD Cass Corridor. But when somebody builds condos, that happens in Midtown. Or, if there's plenty of development in New Center, they'll try to call that Midtown too. As the result of trying to push this preconceived construct down our collective throat, Midtown is more a source of confusion than a real place -- which it never really was in the first place.

Transitrider
Username: Transitrider

Post Number: 90
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20090303/ENT01 /903030455/1033

Easy, DN, step away from the keyboard: :-)
http://www.detroitmidtown.com/ 05/loop.php
http://www.detroitmidtown.com/ 05/doc_lib/presentation_midtow n_loop_greenway.pdf

I thought I remembered it being discussed earlier on this forum that the Festival of the Arts (one of my favorite events) was taking a break for 2009 due to the economy and dwindling corporate sponsors, despite what the Detroit News article says. I suspect the UCCA is spinning it this way ("we're holding off this year, because of this other worthy project") to avoid the doom and gloom associated with saying it's "temporarily cancelled for just this year." But I could be wrong.

From the FotA site:
http://www.detroitfestival.com /08/
"October 2008 - The University Cultural Center Association (UCCA) has announced that it will not produce the Detroit Festival of the Arts in 2009 due to the construction of the Midtown Loop Greenway. The Loop will extend through a significant portion of the festival site. More information on The Loop can be found here. Please note that the Festival will return in 2010."

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3597
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know: I'm an old sourball. :-)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9540
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a "Loop" in West Branch. Just throwing that in for giggles. Cosmopolitan West Branch.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3598
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha. That's why they call it the Chicago of Ogemaw County, right? :-)

Johnlodge

Post Number: 9541
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They DO got one o' them thar outlet malls now. All the Pfalztgraff you can handle.

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 271
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^^^^^
oh yea, i love the tanger outlet-they got a rue 21 and applebees-how cosmopolitan-ah i miss the good ole day at ccb
we went to the wal-mart on our night off and saw every movie they showed at that lil downtown theatre

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 2256
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where is the loop in WB? Is this the trail that leads down into Iron's Park?

Every movie? Even the one in the tiny bust your kneecaps place upstairs??

I thought Skidway was the Chicago of Ogemaw County!

That is a bizare reason to not hold a festival, surely they could have moved it further into the college campuses. I wonder if there is something they ain't telling us?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 9545
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=West+Bran ch+MI+%22the+loop%22

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4396
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it just made sense to not hold it this year...I bet the sponsors fell through. Hopefully this construction will actually be happening.

I have mixed feelings about this trail system. While I'd rather walk the grid over long distances and chart my own course through the city, apparently some people like having a designated area with pretty pavers and the like. If this will be used and will be an asset, then bring it on.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6194
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Cass Corridor NEVER comprised more than 10-20% of Midtown. It's been discussed here ad nauseum...

Midtown comprises... Brush Park, Medical Center, Cultural Center (also called the Museum District), WSU, Orchestra Place and Cass Park.

Only the part that is currently called Cass Park was renamed from Cass Corridor.

But for some odd reason some folks have a mental fart thinking that everthing between the Lodge, Fisher, Chrysler and Ford Fwy, were Cass Corridor renamed to Midtown...

Detroitpetanque
Username: Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 219
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the features of the Midtown Loop is a water fountain for dogs...

Ummm is that REALLY needed?

...and lockers for bicycles... ummm WHY exactly is that needed?

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 496
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is no Detroit Midtown. It's just a recently made-up name by real estate agents. I only hear it being referenced by DetroitYes and the News/Free Press.

The neighborhoods in question are the Cass Corridor, Brush Park, University-Cultural Center, Medical Center and New Center.

Gistok

Post Number: 6195
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually New Center has always been a separate identity.... and is not part of Midtown.

As for the water fountain for dogs... I'm more concerned with the "tall grasses"... or litter catchers as they will likely end up as... and in some areas they are eliminating on street parking... which if Washington Blvd. was any indication... is bad for businesses.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 720
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a UCCA project, not a city project. Then again, who can trust the UCCA when they're using a stolen/made up Midtown moniker?

UCCA logo

quote:

apparently some people like having a designated area with pretty pavers and the like

Yes, and they're called visitors or tourists. :-) Although I imagine residents would have no qualms with the improved lighting, landscaping and related amenities. If you're just biking through the area, you'll probably just stick to the roads.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 522
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MIDTOWN MIDTOWN MIDTOWN... jesus everytime the word Midtown is mentioned the thread turns into a bitch fest on semantics. Lets all REFOCUS on something that matters.

As a former WSU student I had hoped this would have gotten done during my time there. Ive been eagerly anticipating it. I agree with the disdain for pretty pavers etc. All I need is some smooth concrete and some planters. I am happy with the addition of a dedicated bike lane and improved ligting down Cass Ave. If anyone has been on campus in he last 5 years you should know that the public lighting on Cass makes it somewhat unnerving to walk late in the evening alone. Additionally biking on campus has gotten HUGE and there aren't enough bike racks to go around. Just check out the rack in front of old main on a sunny day. Bike lockers are nice and secure but their size takes away from their ability to hold a large number of bikes.

Has anyone actually been following this while its been in development over the last 4 years? Anyone have a comment on the project itself and not just the name?

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 721
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Anyone have a comment on the project itself

Phase I (Ferry & John R) all but has to start this year. It's been a long time coming, but trail projects inevitably take a long time. The average is 7 years. This one is trickier than most in that it required easements from all the property owners along the way. Imagine having to negotiate all those deals on a reduced staff.

Phase II needs design changes and easements but should be fully funded.

The Brush Park Mall and Canfield connector (which link the loop to the Dequindre Cut and Riverwalk) are moving along too.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 1096
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hybridy - wait a minute... did you used to work at CCB near West Branch? I went there as a camper for about 8 years, and I worked there for two summers as the arts director. Maybe summer 03 and 04? I spent many a night off at that crappy little theater, and I ate many a pizza at... what was it called? Gee's Pizza Pad or something?

Oh memories.

Sjmes
Username: Sjmes

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm very happy this project is about to begin. The UCCA has been working very hard on it for some years. The UCCA is not run by the city or realtors, it is run by many organization, and groups in the area as well as members who are property owners/residence. The one problem I had with the loop was that it ran on the East side of John R. next to the veteran's hospital. I was hoping it would run on the undeveloped side to encourage future growth/shops. I also hope the city or state will hear our cries about putting in a turn signal for the extremely busy intersection of Woodward/Warren!!

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 365
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Festival of the Arts cancellation was announced several months ago, well before there was anything about this loop. That's worrisome--I hope it comes back. It was a major plus for the area and was fun for all. I'll especially miss the Dutch troupe of rampaging dinosaurs.

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 2257
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

G's pizza.... love the grizzly. Who shot the grizzly anyways? Only bears I've seen up there are Black Bears. Its no Clear Lake Bar though.

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 2258
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Midtown is a word that separates the hipsters from the geezers; just like Necklace District does. I happen to fall into the later group, but hey as long as folks want to invest in the area thats all I care about. You could call it Soddom as far as I'm concerned.

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2237
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To satisfy everybody, it sounds like it is time to reprise the name "Cagalupa" which those of you may know from previous discussion was immigrant Italian speak for 'Car-go-loopa' in reference to the street car loop at Gratiot and Harper in old heartland of Italian Detroit.

I saw Leoqueen once wearing a t-shirt that said MIDTOWN in gray letter on black. Graffiti-ed across in it spray-can red was 'Cass Corridor'. I LMAO-ed.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 2604
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's just call "Midtown" Detroit instead and everybody can drink a warm cup of....

Gistok

Post Number: 6196
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the only people who call the area south of Grand Circus Park "the Necklace District" are the people who thought it up at the DEGC (Detroit Economic Growth Corp).

Dcmorrison12

Post Number: 55
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Nerd. You need to get off your high horse and do something PRODUCTIVE. If you want to bash Detroit, do it while living in a different state. We need PROGRESS not your pessimism! You're negative remarks have little standing. I'm going to have to say, that my remarks will mean more in the long run because I'm going to be here working towards progress.

Dcmorrison12

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Texorama, this "Midtown Loop" project has been in the works (and openly available to the public to read up on) for years now. I first found out about it last year in fact. The cancellation is most definitely due to the loop. It's safe to say that it will be back, that art festival is a huge hit!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.