Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Pontiac Vibe vs Toyota Matrix. » Archive through March 03, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 960
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I may be buying a new car. What's the difference in buying a Vibe as opposed to a Matrix? CR rates tham as identical in every way. As far as I know, they're built by the same people in the same place. Feedback and ideas, please.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1246
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The profit from your Vibe goes to GM/Detroit, the profit from the Matrix to Toyota/Tokyo.

So it should be simple. I think the Vibe looks better too.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1265
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WHAT YOU DRIVE, DRIVES AMERICA!
OUT OF A JOB YET? KEEP BUYING FOREIGN!

:-)

Pffft

Post Number: 1247
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

p.s. Yes, both are manufactured at the NUMMI plant in California, a joint operation between GM and Toyota.

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 497
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We owned a Vibe, and would still have it-if we didn't need a bigger vehicle.

The down side-it's not a vehicle built for long road trips. It's okay to sit in for short runs. There is a fair amount of road noise. That's the only bad things I can think.

It has a lot of room to transport stuff. It is a FUN car to drive, zips along like nothing else. Great on gas. Good visibility out the back and side windows.

I would get the Vibe.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 2013
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 6:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are from/in Detroit and you're seriously asking Vibe vs Matrix?

Wow.

Noodles
Username: Noodles

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 6:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The profit from your Vibe goes to GM/Detroit, the profit from the Matrix to Toyota/Tokyo.

So it should be simple. I think the Vibe looks better too.

The profits are also used to pay the workers in California (That's still in the USA, right?) who assemble the Toyota Matrix.

Those workers often spend the money they earn (presumably in California, USA).

Detroit_expat
Username: Detroit_expat

Post Number: 85
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 6:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Matrix is no longer built in the United States. It's built at a Toyota plant in Canada. http://www.toyota.ca/tmmc.html

The Pontiac Vibe is still built at the NUMMI plant in California, by UAW Labor. http://www.nummi.com/co_info.p hp

(Message edited by Detroit Ex-Pat on March 03, 2009)

Ktkeller08
Username: Ktkeller08

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 6:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's like the Corolla/Prizm question. In all honesty, since the Matrix is a Toyota, and people think of them as godly vehicles, the Matrix will probably end up with a better resale value than a Vibe. On the other hand the Vibe may very well have more sales incentives and may be cheaper as a new or used car although just as good.
As for profit, well neither car company actually made a profit last year, but it may be easier to gain from toyota... by simply owning the stock and therefore collecting on their huge dividend. GM has no dividend because bankrupt companies obviously can't afford to pay out a dividend. Either way I doubt anyone is willing to buy the stock in a company that they simply buy a car from.
Anyways, If I was buying either one, I'd buy a used or discounted new Vibe since they are essentially the same car, and the Matrix is likely to cost more.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 980
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 6:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bear,
"WHAT YOU DRIVE, DRIVES AMERICA!
OUT OF A JOB YET? KEEP BUYING FOREIGN! "

What if you buy a used foreign car? Are you still part devil and part american?

Detroit_expat

Post Number: 86
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 7:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes. Because you're driving up residual value for the particular make, which in turn affects leasing of new vehicles.

Ktkeller08

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 7:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a crazy question, what if you buy a used foreign car built in the states and you own common stock in that company, say Toyota, which pays you a large dividend based on their revenue. (obviously not profits since they didn't make any and they apparently are still paying a dividend as big as ever)

Detroit_expat

Post Number: 87
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 7:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kt, if you're a U.S. taxpayer, you hold an outstanding loan to General Motors. If General Motors fails to repay that loan, that's bad. Further, if General Motors goes under, lots of jobs and, therefore, demand for many products and services (particularly in this area of the country) disappears. That's also bad.

Regarding Toyota's dividend, I wouldn't count on it. Like most auto companies, they are losing money at present.

Ktkeller08

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 7:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is certainly true for buying a new car, but what about a used one which affects the dealer in a much greater way than the actual manufacturer.

I agree with you as far as the loans, however right now nobody knows how much their going to need to stay afloat until they can make it on their own. Because it may be 30-40 Billion or 80-100 Billion, and because the number keeps growing, I'm pretty skeptical that they're actually going to have the ability to pay it back along with all their other creditors.

As for jobs, now that is pretty interesting because although that is true for here, what about for a person living in California? It's weird and different in cali because many foreign makers design and even engineer a lot of their cars there, and build them in the south. So is it true for the people living there too?

Finally, I would count on Toyota's dividend, even though they're losing money they still have a lot of cash and even if they lower the dividend their share price is lower which will result in the same yield. Not to mention their stock is basically like a bond now in terms of people expecting more of a dividend yield than a capital gain on it.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1683
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 7:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buy what you want... asking an opinion about American/Foreign in this forum is pointless. I'm refraining from going on a rant about some of the folks and their logic, but again buy what YOU want and not what someone else says. The deck is kinda stacked against you here.

Baselinepunk
Username: Baselinepunk

Post Number: 130
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 7:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We bought a used Vibe (2003) last year. Great car; one of the best I have ever owned. We have a growing family of four. Our car-top carrier opens up a lot of room in the cabin. We've spent many hours in that thing already with no issues what so ever regarding space.

No, it's not a SUV; but what's wrong with a little coziness? It used to be that the roof rack came standard with the Vibe and was an option on the Matrix. They're both the exact same car with different body parts. I joke with my friends that that the Vibe is the best Toyota GM makes.

I highly recommend. However, I should add that we purchased CarFax for our search and it paid off tenfold. I highly recommend CarFax as well.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3842
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking at the Wiki page for the vibe, it seems like the only thing GM contributes to the car is it's name. Everything else, from the design to the engine to the manufacturing plant, appears to be done by Toyota.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P ontiac_Vibe

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 931
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This has been my mantra on this forum since 2007.

WHAT YOU DRIVE, DRIVES AMERICA!
OUT OF A JOB YET? KEEP BUYING FOREIGN.

It's truer now than ever before. I just hope it's not too late for America.

Pffft

Post Number: 1248
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And everybody knows Wikipedia is always right!

(shudders)

Scout
Username: Scout

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bought a used 2003 Vibe in 2005. We liked it so much we got a used 2006 Vibe in 2008. We're a two-Vibe family. They've been good cars.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1709
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is your purchase. Test drive each car, price each car, look at the options and make the best decision for you and/or your family. Don't let other people influence your decision.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3843
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And everybody knows Wikipedia is always right!

Well, if you have any information to the contrary, then please provide it instead of just acting like an asshole.

Pffft.

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 708
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neither,

The Saturn Astra handles better.

We just got one. The Matrix was exactly the same as the late model corolla we got rid of. LOTS of body roll.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 3739
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The profit from your Vibe goes to GM/Detroit, the profit from the Matrix to Toyota/Tokyo. "

This is hardly true anymore. GM has plenty of equity owners who are not US citizens, much less residents of Detroit, just as there are plenty of owners of Toyota's equity who are not from Japan.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 3380
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "Don't let other people influence your decision."

Or the fact that your Asian purchase will undoubtedly cost some American(s) job(s), and ultimately effect your own eventually.

sj, you're living in the past my friend. Just as consumers have felt the sting of easy credit and careless spending, and adjusted, they've also felt the sting of not supporting domestic companies. I have a hunch when people do start buying again, the imports are not going to feel it very much.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1266
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Bear,
"WHAT YOU DRIVE, DRIVES AMERICA!
OUT OF A JOB YET? KEEP BUYING FOREIGN! "

My God, do I have to explain every single stupid joke I try to make around here? :-)

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 277
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1kd, I have an 04 Vibe, manual tranny, & mostly love it.

There isn't much overall difference between the Matrix & the Vibe, but there are a few minor differences. The Matrix, as mentioned above by another poster, is assembled in Ontario. The Vibe is assembled by UAW members at the NUMMI plant in California right next to the Corollas (the Vibe & Matrix are basically Corolla wagons -- the models share the same engines). While Toyota contributed most of the materials to the vehicles, GM contributed a tremendous amount of design, interior especially.

Depending on what model year you're looking at (08 or earlier), I to think the Vibe has better exterior styling. Although, if you're looking at the 09s, there's very little difference in the exterior styling. Pay attention to the different exterior colors if you're looking at the 09s. I have never seen a car look so very different from model to model based solely on the paint color (I think the new models look best in either dark colors or in white -- the middling colors look wretched to me). Regardless of the model year, the interior styling is virtually identical.

As another poster mentioned above, the Matrix will have better resale value, should you not want to keep the vehicle for more than a couple years, but its sticker price will be higher. If you plan to drive the car into the ground, however, buy the Vibe now with its lower sticker price.

I don't know what your job is, but the Vibe is UAW-approved as an "American" car (as is the Corolla). The Matrix is not. For my line of work, that's important -- most local unions & some local companies require you to have an "American" car to work for them.

As for the specs, I am a large gal, but I'm very comfortable in the car. I've driven it for hours & hours on long trips & have never had any comfort issues. I've filled it with lots of stuff -- there's a ton of room in there. There are also nooks & storage crannies all over the place.

Mileage-wise, you'll get your best mpg at 70 mph or below. I consistently get 35-38 mpg, driving in rush hour traffic on I-75 by keeping it to 70 or under. If you get the 2.4 liter engine, your mileage will be lower (I have the 1.8 liter).

A few things that drive me crazy: 1) The car is super-torquey at low rpms, especially when cold. 2) The car needs good tires during the winter, unless you have the all-wheel drive model. I currently have Goodyear TripleTred Assurances, & while they're great in the rain, they're horrible on snowy or icy roads. Next year, I'll be getting snow tires. 3) You can't turn the headlights down to just parking lights; so when you pull into a drive at someone's house, your lights glare until you turn them off. 4) If you need replacement parts, the Toyota replacements tend to be more spendy than what I've seen with other GM vehicles. 5) The motor in my model year has a funny tick: it "idle hunts" at temps below 40F until the engine is warmed up (i.e., the engine revs higher, then revs down after awhile, but then keeps revving up, then down, until the engine is fully warm -- annoying, but not dangerous...yet). 6) The odometer only goes to 300,000 miles, so I won't be able to see it tick over to 300k, like I did with my last car. :-)

But these are minor things, & not enough to keep me from loving the car. I bought mine used from a guy who had to move to Australia. He kept it in great shape. While he had it, he had a speaker go out, but that was it. I've had to replace the recirc door motor in the heating/cooling system. Knock on wood, that's it so far for the first 92,000 miles.

I'd refer you to the main site for Vibe enthusiasts, http://www.genvibe.com/, but the forums are down right now for migration to new hardware. It should be back up by tomorrow. Once it is, the forums have a section giving advice for new owners or folks thinking about buying a Vibe.

If you have any questions, feel free to email me. oakglenangie at gmail dot com

(Message edited by awfavre on March 03, 2009)

Detmsp
Username: Detmsp

Post Number: 78
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out the saturn astra. much better styling and handling imo. But if you must choose between the vibe and the matrix, go with the vibe. not only does it look better than the matrix (exterior-wise... interior is pretty much the same) but the profits go to a company based in your state!

Hamtramike
Username: Hamtramike

Post Number: 101
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, often overlooked, many local companies also contribute greatly to local charities and community events.
I would expect similar turnout in the future of charity events such as the Autoshow Preview (almost half the Attendees of last year), and other community events scaled back (like the Winterblast)
This of course is aside from the local suppliers, employees at local HQ's, retirees who also contribute to the local economy when you purchase "locally" made auto.

Gencinjay
Username: Gencinjay

Post Number: 109
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a 2003 Vibe. I liked it quite a bit. I only traded it in for a slightly larger car because of my growing family. On the interior, the Matrix and Vibe are identical. I always liked the styling of the Vibe better.