Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » BLOWOUT 2009! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 332
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The biggest and best local music festival there is starts tonight!

Here's the full schedule and a great article on Deastro:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=20099022603 14

Don't miss the Meatmen tonight at 12:30 at the Majestic Theatre for the pre-party! They'll be filming footage for an upcoming DVD -- get in on it!

I'll be Small's the majority of the weekend, with the exception of the Swamp Sisters' set at 12:30 a.m. Saturday at Baker's.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 521
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also ChildBite tonight. Always a treat!

Melody

Post Number: 333
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody go to the pre-party last night? What a blast! Octopus was fantastic. Unfortunately I missed ChildBite. It seemed better attendend than last year, but maybe I'm just being optomistic. See you in Hamtramck!

Chow
Username: Chow

Post Number: 260
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wish i was in town. deastro followed by the silent years would be pure bliss.

Baselinepunk
Username: Baselinepunk

Post Number: 132
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I highly recommend Scotty Karate -- Atlas Bar.

Bigjeff
Username: Bigjeff

Post Number: 196
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, the days of the Hamtramck Blowout. From Sponge to Mitch Ryder, The White Stripes to Telegraph, Natives of the New Dawn to the Polish Muslims. It's amazing who I have seen in the past for a mere $20 spot!

Correct me if I'm wrong, Hamtramck has the most bars per capita in the country? Something like 70 bars in a 2 square mile area?

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3603
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Something like 70 sales licenses in 2.2 square miles, yes.

Mdoyle

Post Number: 523
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a strange bill last night. The crowds didnt seem to mesh well. Octopus seemed really out of place. Being a fan and friend of ChildBite Ive seen them numerous times but last night was a really great show. They always find a way to add more energy to their shows. Not sure where they find it.

Tonight I'll be attending

The Wordplay @ the Belmont. Good friends and a great band. I highly recommend.

http://www.myspace.com/theword play

Deastro @ KofC. He (Randy Chabot) been just getting massive amounts of praise from all directions, DetNews, Spin Magazine, WDET and Pitchfork. Uber talented and he's 22 I can't wait to see what he'll bring us in the future. Also a great positive guy with a ton of love for this city happy to call him a friend and neighbor.

http://www.myspace.com/deastro

The Silent Years @ KofC. A phenomenally well put together band with an amazing sound. The lead singers (Josh) voice will blow you away. Tonight I hear they will be accompanied by a choir bringing their band up to a 17 piece. This is one of the bands (along with ChildBite) that were the beneficiaries of the breakup of the band Rescue. A personal Fav.

http://www.myspace.com/thesile ntyears

Bigjeff

Post Number: 197
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of Rescue. Is that the band that Alan Scheurman fronted? I went to high school with that cat. Very eccentric guy there!

Mdoyle

Post Number: 524
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

@Bigjeff

It sure is. As for the eccentric part... "Takes all kinds...". Its a line my mom uses and I fully believe in.
He's got his own thing goin on and plays tomorrow nightt @ the KofC http://www.myspace.com/alanpat rick

Bigjeff

Post Number: 198
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You got that right! My mom told me the same thing. Takes all kinds to make the world go 'round!

Ran into him Friday night at the legendary Funk Night. Those guys continue to amaze me with their FUNKiness! Brad and Frank have a good thing going for Detroit! Too bad it's only one night a month!

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 459
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the past I have always studied the schedule and plotted out who I wanted to see and when. This year I am going to leave the schedule at home and wander around aimlessly.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 556
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's too bad that The Blowout has been relegated to not much more than climbing from bar to bar in Hamtramck. The scheduling of the event is all wrong. By the way, has the Motor City Music Awards happened yet? Yawn... I'll wait for The Daley, no offense. What is this town coming to?

Mdoyle

Post Number: 525
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 1:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ggores The Blowout in its 12th year has always taken the current form. It's similar to other cities showcases such as SXSW (austin) and CMJ (new york). Its not really considered a festival as Dally is.

I've just comeback from Blowout Day 1 (not including the preshow. I've been blown (pun intended) away so far. I saw the bands I had mentioned above plus a smattering of other in between and my only disappointment was the sound at the K of C hall. The bands were good sports for the most part and did their thing. Silent Years put on one of the best shows I've seen in a while.

Emuaaron
Username: Emuaaron

Post Number: 48
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saw Black Lodge, Sh the Octopus!, Straightbacks and Codgers last night. Great times all around.

Blowout is my favorite annual event.

The conflicts tonight are going to kill me. Terrible Twos, High Strung, Dirtbombs, Lee Marvin, I Crime, etc. tough choices

(Message edited by emuaaron on March 06, 2009)

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 438
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd say the night goes to Deastro, with props to The Silent Years and their backup singers all dressed in blue Snuggies (yeah, that goofy infomercial blanket with arm holes)

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1956
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It's similar to other cities showcases such as SXSW (austin) and CMJ (new york)

Okay - the Blowout is cool, but comparing it to either of those festivals is ridiculous on so many different levels.

Meta_one
Username: Meta_one

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am looking forward to checking out the blowout tonight and tomorrow, but I wish it was more genre-diverse. Detroit has such strong hip hop and electronic music and I wish that was more represented in the Blowout schedule. I wish we had a more unified music scene, with more cross-over between genres.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9571
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It's too bad that The Blowout has been relegated to not much more than climbing from bar to bar in Hamtramck. The scheduling of the event is all wrong. By the way, has the Motor City Music Awards happened yet? Yawn... I'll wait for The Daley, no offense. What is this town coming to?

You have no idea what you're talking about. And it's the "Dally". Mayor Daley has nothing to do with it.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3610
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was working the door at a venue last night and it was kinda fun. The only drag was I didn't get to see the bands, but I'll be roaming around tonight and tomorrow. Be safe everybody! See you on the bus. :-)

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 1051
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My husb is playing at Whiskey in the Jar at 10:20, then we're going to see Lee Marvin Computer Arm and Grande Nationals too. So excited!!!!!

Melody

Post Number: 334
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alley, see you at Grande Nationals at Small's tonight. I'll be working the back bar in the band room.

Small's has a great line up tomorrow if you like heavy music: Bluesong, Chapstik, Wolfbait and I Speak in Calculus.

Tomorrow I'll also be a Baker's Streetcar at 12:30 a.m. playing with my new band Swamp Sisters.

Okay, enough shameless plugs. Have fun and be safe -- and be sure to stop in at one of Hamtramck's fine restaurants before your bar hopping begins.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 1052
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WHOOOOOOOO that was a fun one!

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 617
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A quick vote:

Which acts gave the most memorable show?
Name three.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.