Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Floor Plans - Detroit Planning Commission « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Butkaeri
Username: Butkaeri

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was wondering if anyone knew if it is still possible to get detailed floor plans of areas around the city from the Planning Commission. I tried looking online at their website but all I could find was zoning maps. Or if anyone knows where floor plans would be available that would be great! I'm looking for floor plans in the Midtown area/Cultural Center.

Thanks!

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 2259
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Planning does not deal much with the interior of buildings. It is mostly interested in land use, ordinances, landscaping, and other harmonius/economic aspects of buildings. I would doubt the building department keeps extensive collections as there have literally been hundreds of thousands of structures built in the City over its 300 + years.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4216
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, they may keep some site plans, but beyond that I'd see no reason, given their focus, for them to keep detailed floor plans.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 4496
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You would either have to check with the Building Department, which issues construction permits, or the owners of the individual buildings.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 954
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

are you talking about interior floor plans of a specific building? or sspecific site plans of particular building(s)? or are you looking for scale-able drawings of the city blocks?

if it's the latter, then you can get both sanborn and parcel maps from the planning commission in the cadillac tower. sanborns are good for structures and streets. parcel maps are good for property dimensions. but both are scale-able.

as far as floor plans, site plans, elevations, details, etc. of specific buildings, those are much more difficult. the older and more obscure a building is, the less likely there will be a record of it. i'm also not sure that you can take away these things from the building department. one suggestion would be to find the architect who designed the building and see if they saved a copy of the plans for the building you're looking for. most active firms keep record copies of everything they've done.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 998
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Butkaeri, could you be more specific? Is/are the building(s):...
-Occupied or Vacant?
-Commercial or Residential?
-Old or New?
And, what are your intentions ( i.e. what type of details are you interested in):...
-You own the building and are considering renovation?
-Considering purchase/lease?
-Considering a burglary? (kidding)
-Know someone that once worked/lived there?
If you give more details, you may be helped more easily.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 780
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Building Safety & Engineering are supposed to have plans but their record keeping is very sloppy!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.