Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » E-mails to City Council Bounced Back « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Waymooreland
Username: Waymooreland

Post Number: 126
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tried to send e-mails to a few city council members (Conyers, Watson, et al) to express my disappointment in their votes against the Cobo expansion. Well, the e-mails all got bounced back. Anybody know anything about the e-mail addresses on council's website being invalid? I want my voice to be heard, but I can't actually attend a council meeting. Do I need to write an actual letter and mail it in? Can I just dial up Mon-Con on the phone?

It seems really convenient that council is so difficult to communicate with. That allows them to act however they please without having to hear any dissenting opinions from their constituents.

Bike4beer
Username: Bike4beer

Post Number: 59
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My guess is their inbox is full. Do you have the bounce back message? It usually tells you the reason why the message bounced. If you post I can probably tell you why.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4541
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RECALL THEM ALL!

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 2261
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit has recently changed all e-mail addresses. The thing is they dropped the ci.detroit.mi.us for a simpler DetroitMI.gov. In some cases the first names have changed, in other cases they have not.

I would suggest sending your e-mail gain with the new suffix. Good luck.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 955
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when moncon was on mildred gaddis she encouraged people in her constituency to call her at her office. she gave out the numbers over the air. i'm sure you can find them online somewhere.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1244
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a joke. If you are not calling to congratulate Monica, they don't want to hear from you. A pretty rude woman answers the phone.

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 220
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The city's email system has been messed up for a couple of weeks.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1288
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Monica does not want to hear from anybody as they might waste her time. She does not really care about anything but picking a fight and telling people how stupid people they are and need to be "respectful" of her.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3961
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I doubt if any council members (or state legislators, or members of congress) read their emails. Usually a staff member goes through them and if motivated, sends a sterile reply to the sender.

If you really hope to express a view, a well-written letter (sent with a 42c stamp!) is your best option. But even that's a turkey shoot.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 995
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to Monica Conyers in her interview last night on Channel 2, she personally responds to all citizen's questions.

Now, she wouldn't lie to us, would she?

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1291
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Note to feds....save us all and bring the corruption charges against her so we can be saved from this circus. But honestly, don't hear from too many supporters, but Monica claims she has received floods of positives responses.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 794
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray, FWIW, I disagree. I've gotten several replies from council..notably from Kwame Kenyatta and Ken & Sheila Cockrel (before Ken became Mayor of the week)..NEVER gotten a reply ("form letter" or otherwise) from MonCon, Reeves, Talabi, Watson, et al..just the first three.
I think it's got more to do with not wanting to deal with detractors than it does with taking up their valuable time..

Downtownguy
Username: Downtownguy

Post Number: 134
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bike4beer,

Same thing happened to me. I sent Talabi and Conyers messages on 2/24/09 7:58pm. Got this message back on 2/25/09 8:59pm:

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at yahoo.com.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<a_talabi_mb@atwpo.ci.detroit.m i.us>:
Sorry, I wasn't able to establish an SMTP connection. (#4.4.1)
I'm not going to try again; this message has been in the queue too long.

Never got a failure notice on Conyers' email. Also sent another message to Talabi on 2/28/09 1:35pm and have yet to get a response or failure notice.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 779
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come on people. Get real! More than half of our council are part time. They are not paid enough to give time to those of us who actually work and live in the city.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.