Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Garwood Mansion » Garwood Archives » Archive through March 03, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Stillrockin
Username: Stillrockin

Post Number: 354
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW that's got my name all over it.When will it be shiped can't wait.

Old_guy
Username: Old_guy

Post Number: 470
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now this was a great GarWood boat. 1932, 38' long, powered by 4 supercharged V-12 Packard engines. 8000 HP. World Speed Record 9-20-32 @ 124.915 MPH. Atta Boy!

ma.gif

Or just for a Sunday cruise. This was why I was thinking the old boat seats in that front 1st. floor bedroom at the mansion were red. 1KD mentioned them before. The GarWood boat seats were typically red, filled with horse hair.

c.gif

Stillrockin

Post Number: 356
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

does it have a cup holder??

Old_guy

Post Number: 471
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We can add a cup holder, seat belt, governor and dribble cup. I'll ship it Wednesday.

Stillrockin

Post Number: 357
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do I need to go and get some gas?

Old_guy

Post Number: 472
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a diesel.

Isle_of_fun
Username: Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 208
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OG ... please add the pipe holder.

Stillrockin

Post Number: 358
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Medicare will pay for the hole thing that's what they say on TV can't wait.

Stillrockin

Post Number: 359
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well it mess up my tile floors?

Old_guy

Post Number: 473
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's true. What's your social security number?

Ruth
Username: Ruth

Post Number: 156
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

!!!!!!!!!!REUNION NEWS FLASH!!!!!!!!!

I just got a decent price ($119 per night) on a block of rooms in A2 for the Friday and Saturday nights of the reunion. If you are coming in from out-of-town and need a hotel, let me know. I've held ten rooms. You'll need to book them soon.

Old_guy

Post Number: 474
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hoover, you'll be able to do things like pull this woman out of the ditch with your diesel hoveround, and then just pull her on over to your place. There you go!

hr.gif

Stnfrnt
Username: Stnfrnt

Post Number: 464
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OG....my old buddy, Billy Sue, says I can borrow his float tube this summer. Any restrictions on your lake I should know about. Hoover..you could use this in the Everglades.
battery's dead, got any cables?

Det313grrl
Username: Det313grrl

Post Number: 532
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Margie
Username: Margie

Post Number: 405
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hoover...you won't even need diesel fuel...just a little rootin tootin side splitin cowboy chilie and you can propell your own self around !!!!

Old_guy

Post Number: 475
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1KD, how big is your boat slip? The guy told me it'll sleep 60 if nobody's too fussy.

hb.gif

Old_guy

Post Number: 476
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stone, I kind of like that little trolling chair. I'm trying to figure out what that motor is on Detroit girls houseboat. I'm thinking maybe a reverse flow sump pump. Sort of a low tech, laid back jet boat.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 952
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detgrrl's boat is a first class scow. It's perfect for floating down the Detroit River. Old Guy, the floating dormitory will do just fine. We can have the 1st Annual Fraternal Order of Benevolent Hippies and GarWoodians re-union commune on Ford Lake.

Det313grrl
Username: Det313grrl

Post Number: 533
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Old_guy

Post Number: 477
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tb.gif

Minimalist

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 957
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OG, you bring the outboard, I've got the boat (table). Lots 'O fun on Ford Lake this summer.

Old_guy

Post Number: 478
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend of mine, (the guy driving) owned this car. He died last summer and I don't know what happened to the vehicle. It was a lot of fun to cruise in. OK, I'm off the boat thing. Anybody got any good Garwood stories. With all these new people, there have to be a few.

bc.gif

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 959
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a friend who's owned a couple of amphi-cars. He's also owned hover-crafts. I was lucky enough to ride and drive all of them. He and I co-owned a 1949 Ford, One Seat, (business)Coupe, back in high school. It had no floor other than directly under the pedals. We rested our feet on the chassis cross members. It was real fast. He still has crazy cars. I got over them. Cool picture, OG. Unfortunately, I don't have any photos of Ron's various cars and crafts. OK, I'm off the boat and car thing, too.

Stnfrnt
Username: Stnfrnt

Post Number: 465
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hoover.....These gals are looking for an agent. They're really 22 year old twins.

Stillrockin

Post Number: 362
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 6:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey did anybody watch Late Night with Jimmy Fallon and see Van morrison I think he was drunk.What id you think of his show?

Whaler
Username: Whaler

Post Number: 157
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend of mine Bobby East Guitar Player(Reefermen,Kid Rock) Tells a story of Garwood Mansion ..He was playing music all night ...Got really high and went fishing out back...He passed out...When he came to he had a 30 LB Catfish on the line..Hell of a way to wake up Sunday Mornin

Bentspur
Username: Bentspur

Post Number: 74
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This Bobby East????

Bluenote132003
Username: Bluenote132003

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, just finished reading all the posts from the beginning...amazing. I was a little young during '69-72 or so, but did hang out at the ruins late 70's- early 80's. Proud to say we kept the spirit alive! Had a 1963 Pontiac Starchief that we took to the bridge, but walked in from there. Was there ever any history of Randy California and Spirit playing at the mansion? They did so many of the venues around the area...

Whaler
Username: Whaler

Post Number: 158
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bentspur...That is The one and only Bobby East

Bentspur
Username: Bentspur

Post Number: 75
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did the Garwood have any Home owners insurance?? I might have to file a late claim or maybe its too late. I burned my fingers on one of those brass pipes. I still have a scar on my index finger. Hoover handed it to me and didn't tell me it was red hot. It wasn't that hot when I gave it to him but you know Hoover, he could really draw on a pipe. Maybe thats how he got his name. Do you think I have a valid claim? I still have a scar on my index finger. I had to quit playing the guitar for the rest of my life. Who would I contact for the insurance info.