Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Barbara Rose Collins: What the....??? » Archive through March 05, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastsidechris
Username: Eastsidechris

Post Number: 321
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.clickondetroit.com/ video/18865456/index.html
http://www.clickondetroit.com/ video/18865309/index.html

The first video shows her soliloquy on the history of Detroit, and British colonialism.
The 2nd video shows BRC breaking into a chorus of "Onward Christian Soldiers" during the meeting. Yes, you heard me right. You need to see it to believe it!

She has lost her mind this time! She needs to leave the history lessons to teachers. And we thought Monica was nuts. All BRC needed was her tiara.

A thought from my pastor that would fit BRC: if you're going to say you're being persecuted, make sure you're actually being persecuted, and not just being treated the way you are because you're acting like a fool.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2646
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Detroit is in need of a firm dictator, who can have an insolent like this disposed of without question, because clearly democracy has failed when the people choose this as a supposed member of the best and brightest of Detroit.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 3108
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think this moment is a good one for me to re-assert my conviction that our Mayor_sekou maybe should be MAYOR Mayor_sekou.
I would say the bizarre incident with the raving and singing BRC was truly a case of black comedy, but that would be SO politically non-correct, and I'm sure you all know that I strictly adhere to the stringent guidelines of political correctness.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1277
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

She has lost her mind this time!

Seriously, I've heard more coherent soliloquies from nutjobs in Capitol Park. Maybe one of them would make a good city councilman.

Detroit_expat
Username: Detroit_expat

Post Number: 88
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit is fucked up like a soup sandwich.

Some dope should be along now any minute in this thread to attempt to intellectualize what transpired at today's council meeting as some cultural thing that white people just can't grasp.

That's always been, and is, bullshit. Ignorance is ignorance. Incompetence is incompetence. To excuse it would be racist.

There are plenty of able people of every race in Detroit who can do the job. Acting Mayor Cockrel seems to be doing a great job. But his efforts are thwarted by the retarded City Council.

Detroit has no time left to indulge idiots. Either amateur hour is over in Detroit government, or Detroit itself is over.

I hope and pray that the timing of Governor Granholm's appointment of an EFM for Pontiac, along with an angry refusal to countenance any discussion of a renegotiation of the Cobo deal, are shots across Detroit's bow.

Get your shit together, Detroit. No more excuses. No more blaming whitey, Livonia, "that white woman in Lansing," Britain, or India, or any other bogeyman/bogeywoman/bogeyperson (real or imagined).

I hope the show put on at Council today is on every news station and every newspaper in this country. A little shame and humiliation would look good on those assholes, and perhaps invite Detroit voters to THINK when they vote.

For fuck's sake....

(Message edited by Detroit Ex-Pat on March 05, 2009)

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 3042
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

she had to have been drunk

Urbanfisherman
Username: Urbanfisherman

Post Number: 110
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a fucking calamity.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 2023
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

A little shame and humiliation would look good on those assholes, and perhaps invite Detroit voters to THINK when they vote.

That shame and humiliation is all of ours as a metropolitan region, like it or not.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1278
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I hope the show put on at Council today is on every news station and every newspaper in this country. A little shame and humiliation would look good on those assholes, and perhaps invite Detroit voters to THINK when they vote.

That's been tried.

Tortfeasor
Username: Tortfeasor

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is just sad. I don't even know where to begin with the batshit craziness depicted in those videos.

Zimm
Username: Zimm

Post Number: 110
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

given the new economic realities facing the city, this region, this state, this country, and this world, i just don't see how Detroit can overcome this kind of "leadership" or an electorate that puts it in place.

5 years ago, i really thought this city was going places. what a fool i was. this city is gone, and it's never going to come back. not in my lifetime. not in my children's lifetime.

like so many of it's citizens, Detroit has been killed by Detroiters.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5995
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really loved the chorus of agreement in the background when BRC was giving her speech. And the rendition of 'Onward Christian Soldiers' was just priceless. If this doesn't make Bill Maher, The Daily Show and the other late night shows, I'll be very surprised.
And still we rise

Detroit_expat
Username: Detroit_expat

Post Number: 89
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That shame and humiliation is all of ours as a metropolitan region, like it or not.

No, it isn't. A big lie that has been repeated ad nauseum on this board is that so goes Detroit, so goes the region.

I live in a suburb of Detroit. An inner-ring, blue-collar, multi-cultural one. Our Mayor was not impeached nor jailed. Our council doesn't have retarded people on it. Our infant mortality rate is NOT at third-world levels. Our garbage is picked up, our street lights work, and our schools are decent.

I love Detroit and would like to see it get it together. Hell, I'd love to move back to Detroit. But not now, not when someplace like Somalia seems safer and saner by comparison.

Most of Detroit's suburbs are functioning, and would continue to function, if Detroit were taken tomorrow by a massive sinkhole.

I don't want Detroit to fall into a sinkhole. I also don't want Detroit to continue to be the fucking mess that it is today. I want Detroit to work.

Dcmorrison12
Username: Dcmorrison12

Post Number: 47
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My work and school schedule often get in the way of me making a personal visit to city hall, but I've been so blown away lately that I HAVE to make time. I HAVE to tell these people off! I'm going to go there and just poor it on them! I WILL hold them accountable and e-mailing them just doesn't fulfill my needs anymore. I'm thinking spring break, I'll be down there, embarrasing them on T.V about what the embarrasment they are putting on this City, which I live in. They forget, I PAY their salaries!!!

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 2025
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People from other States do not care if you are from an inner ring suburb of Detroit. To them, you are from Detroit.

Perhaps your suburb is not subject to what happens in Detroit or Auburn Hills or Dearborn and your property values will stay high and your job will stay unaffected.

Perhaps you get your water service from some place other than the City of Detroit and perhaps your suburb is otherwise self-sufficient.

But to others, you're still a Detroiter, like it or not.

Dcmorrison12

Post Number: 48
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

East_Detroit

A healthy Detroit = A healthy Southeastern Michigan

A poor Detroit = an unsuccessful Southeastern Michigan.

I doesn't matter what out of staters think of us..

Our economies are interconnected and so is our success, THAT'S what's important.

Food for thought.... what's Chicagoland without Chicago?

Zimm

Post Number: 111
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

at this point, i think it would be more efficient to grow the economies of southeastern MI (excluding Detroit) than it would be to try to grow those economies and rehabilitate Detroit. the city is so near a a tipping point of complete collapse of city government, property values, business environment and law and order that imo, it would be easier for stakeholders to simply abandon their interests in Detroit and set them up in the functional environment of their choosing.

the inherent value of the people, businesses and their assets is greater than the value provided them by the COD.

i only hope that time and the awesome power of nature can undo the environmental damage we've done.

Riley484
Username: Riley484

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. I'm convinced Collins and Conyers would prefer a 20 foot wall be put around the city.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 608
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole, you are right:

"I really loved the chorus of agreement in the background when BRC was giving her speech. And the rendition of 'Onward Christian Soldiers' was just priceless. If this doesn't make Bill Maher, The Daily Show and the other late night shows, I'll be very surprised.
And still we rise"

This is like a bad Saturday Night Live skit. How embarrassing! This is how the rest of the country will be seeing this city.
Ayanna Kilpatrick was at least partially right when she called Detroit "..a city full of idiots..." No other town would let this continue. This has to stop!

Dcmorrison12

Post Number: 50
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is a flawed theory for a few reasons:

Most importantly, this is following a HIGHLY flawed philosophy of sprawl, which America and steadfastly stood by for over 50 years. If you spready your resources out too thin, things get expensive and weak. Centralized business is efficient, hence having a city, and it's cheaper - maintainance wise, since it's condensed.

Second reason is you are assuming Southeastern Michigan is successful outside of Detroit. It may not be as far down the road as Detroit, but it's certainly NOT succeeding.

It's depressing.. I know

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 282
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They showed that clip on the 10:00 Fox News, it left me completely speachless. That level of dumb is beyond description.

Dcmorrison12

Post Number: 51
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my post was for Zimm

Switchmanjim
Username: Switchmanjim

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the name of the group?? MC Hammers??

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 523
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get out the butterfly nets and straight jackets.
It's embarassing.

Zimm

Post Number: 112
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i kinda figured that Dcmorrisson.

i am well versed in sprawl, and how it works.

given the significant downward trend in regional population (higher in Detroit than anywhere else in the region, why not re-centralize to a location to an area that is not completely dysfunctional? dispersing what is left of Detroit's populus into vacancies around the region (and subsequently letting Detroit go back to nature) would be more resource efficient that trying to return Detroit to something of a functional state.

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 217
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At this point it is more than obvious that people like Barbara Rose Collins and Monica Conyers do not have the ability, capability, or intelligence to hold any public office. They are blinded by their racism and unidealistic dreams of what they want Detroit to be. It is apparent that Detroit is not capable maintaining a convention center. I now am officially for a large convention center in Oakland County to steal away the NAIAS from Detroit.

Nellonfury
Username: Nellonfury

Post Number: 233
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW!!!!!Detroit is really screwed now.

Benfield
Username: Benfield

Post Number: 112
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dan Quayle said it best when he said "what a waste it is to lose one's mind."

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4224
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dan Quayle probably wouldn't be the best example to use. lol

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 543
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just saw a tease for Brad Edwards on the edge. The only other thing L. Brooks wants. is BRC's Tiera and the fist.