Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Art Show in Woodbridge Saturday, Mar. 7 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Emuaaron
Username: Emuaaron

Post Number: 46
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There will be a free art show from 6-9 on Saturday, Mar. 7 at 1635 W. Hancock st.

God Club, a Detroit-based, multidisciplinary creative output label and collective, will be presenting an installation entitled Construction/Constriction.

All are encouraged to attend.

Luna09
Username: Luna09

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am collecting information about the old Russell Industrial Center, off of I-75 and Clays streets. It was the Murray Manufacturing and Murray Body Corporation. I have found some info. at Coachbuilt.com and at the various libraries. Any info. would be greatly appreciated, James R. Murray was my grandfather, he died before I was born, I didn't know him but my mother told us lots of stories. I currently live in the Historic Neighborhood where my grandfather built a home, it's one block over from me. In Boston Edison Historic District. Thanks for any input anyone might have.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2214
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome, Luna09!! Not sure why you've posted in this Art Show thread, but....

You might try reading through the very lengthy but very informative Old Car Factories thread for info on the Murray Body Company and its building:
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/38415.html?1237039969

Also, if you haven't used the resources of the Detroit Public Library, then you should visit the Burton Historical Collection at the main Detroit Public Library. You may find your grandfather listed in their biographical index, perhaps with a Reading Room File with clippings and other collected artifacts. Or you might find his company covered with a similar file. And references to published newspaper articles on him or his company. And looking through the old city directories tracking his home and business locations during his time in Detroit would be interesting as well. Lastly, the National Automotive History Collection at the DPL Skillman Branch downtown might have some information as well. They have a great collection of images, advertisements, catalogs, etc. relating to cars, the companies, and the people in the automotive history.

Good luck!

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button on the Forum Menu at https://www.detroityes.com to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: