Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » What can be done to remove Monica Conyers from office? » Archive through March 05, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 788
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seriously, what can a citizen do to get this retarded racist BITCH kicked to the curb?
She continually exhibits behavior that is an embarrassment to the whole region..there's gotta be a way to remove or censure her in an expedient manner.
Somebody, point me in the right direction..

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1859
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't recall ever seeing a recall election come to anything in Detroit, though I could be wrong. The simplest solution would have been not to vote for her in the first place, but Detroit did, so there we are.

Unfortunately, black vs. white racism plays pretty well in Detroit, and has for quite some time. So you get people like Ms. Conyers.

Folks like her will be in power so long as the mostly African-American voters believe she is looking after their best interest. I don't think she is, but I'm white, so I don't count.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 744
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All of the council members are up for re-election in Nov. Best bet is just ride it out and get her out then. Or.. if you want to vote for Bing and he wins that will knock Cockrel back to Council, hopefully he will regain the council presidents position thereby rendering Conyers ineffective.

Zrx_doug

Post Number: 789
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Conyers is ALREADY ineffective, that's kinda the point of my first post.
:-)
Recall election would be pretty pointless at this stage of the game with so little time left on her clock..was thinking more of having her declared non-compis or something along those lines.

I was sorta hoping for a magic bullet..can't we just accuse her of being a witch, and see if she floats in the Detroit river, or something?

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4219
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can we stop all of this "bitch" and "witch" talk?

Anyway, if Detroit had districts, she wouldn't have a chance against a single competitor at re-election. At the moment, she still stands a chance at slipping back in if even near the bottom of the nine because the city-wide vote gets split nine ways.

Yeah, a recall is an option, but the best way would be to wait a few more months for the re-election.

Zrx_doug

Post Number: 791
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, if I offended, Lmich..I figured it sounded way more polite than "ignorant pile of feces," but what do I know?

The b-word in reference to Mon-Con was indeed a slight to female dogs everywhere, and for this I apologize..as for the other, I take it you're not a big Monty Python fan, huh?

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 2020
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 7:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Name recognition is huge.

If people see only two people on the ballot that they know and agree with, but there are nine slots, they will pick the other seven based on name recognition. For some reason, its very difficult for people to not vote on something when they don't have the information.

The only thing that would help is if people recognize a name as someone they know and disagree with.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 1186
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Promote and support quality candidates for Council. It's pretty likely that MoCo will be back if she runs but if she's not in the majority, she won't have the power she has today.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 746
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another thing is to really push for voting for council by districts. I know thats not a perfect situation but the at-large system offers little accountability, and promotes name recognition voting.

Its hard for people when looking at a ballot that tells them to vote for no more than nine to not vote for at least nine. Realistically they may only feel comfortable with one or two, so they vote for them and instead of ending it there, they go looking for seven more boxes to fill in.

Thats where the name recognition comes in and even though we get lucky some times more often than not it tends to hurt Detroiters.

Ruxy17
Username: Ruxy17

Post Number: 103
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we could always shoot her.

is that illegal to say (type) outloud?

Benfield
Username: Benfield

Post Number: 108
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Can we stop all of this "bitch" and "witch" talk?

Why? When an elected official behaves as boorishly as Monica, polite adjectives don't do the situation justice.

quote:

Anyway, if Detroit had districts, she wouldn't have a chance against a single competitor at re-election. At the moment, she still stands a chance at slipping back in if even near the bottom of the nine because the city-wide vote gets split nine ways.

That may have been true with someone like Alonzo Bates who barely squeaked into the ninth spot in voting but Monica Conyers finished second in the 2005 Council race as a non-incumbent. I hate to break it to you but a lot of Detroit voters like Monica or did, anyway. Whether they still do will be determined in August and November.

That said, I'd still handicap her odds of re-election as very good even in your hypothetical one-on-one situation. In a city with a 50% functional literacy rate, a 50% poverty rate, and turnout around 10-20% in city elections, it's hard to expect much from city voters.

Detroit voters are poor, undereducated, and apathetic. The political and civic class in this town likes it that way. Maybe it's hard to see from your perch in Lansing but Detroit gets the elected officials we deserve.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1390
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes and a way over-reaction.

There is an election in November - if you're in the city, vote, write checks and organize, and if you're not, write checks (don't think that there isn't tons of suburban money going to almost all the Detroit politicians, there is).

The largest problem some sane candidates have is that they're underfunded, and can't get the word out there for name recognition.

Barack Obama reinforced what Ghandi and others knew - you can't get change without dollars.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1609
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once the FBI enters the picture, we may not need to worry about the Ghetto-Fabulous Ms. Conyers.

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 463
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Professorscott state,
quote:

Unfortunately, black vs. white racism plays pretty well in Detroit, and has for quite some time. So you get people like Ms. Conyers.

Ought I to list the many racist white leaders and institutions 'you get' to which this country was established and empowered to help you understand the naive statement above!

...(sarcasm alert), Oh no, their is no reason for Africans in amerikkka' to speak on the issue of racism __ to be sure, white folks have always rated high on the morality scale when it comes to stamping out racism and terror. Africans in amerikkka' ought to be same of themselves for the continued perpetuation of racism in amerikkka'......white man pleeeeeeeaze!

The reality is, if you have never lived in the bodies of Africans in amerikkka, then you ought not speak on the issue of racism when it comes to the Black experience in this kountry'. There is not a day that passes in most of our lives that we don't encounter some form of discrimination, bigotry, and racism, be- it institutionally or socially constructed in this kountry and abroad.

There are a few Africans in amerikkka', in certain governing position in amerikkka' (all-be-it, without the equal exchange of financial institutions), and all of a sudden 'basic- white' people feel free to speak on something that they never/and will never have to experience in its full extent, and this is, inherent racism in this world.__go figure!

'They' show their hubris, arrogance and unabashed temerity by covertly speaking out about the history of Africans in amerikkka's voting ignorance, (as if they have a history of electing the perfect 'white' candidates throughout the years!). They actually believe that they can correctly choose the proper candidate__then too, perhaps 'they' know well about the system 'they' created, and that is a corrupt, and racist institution created to keep the power in the proper hands of the dominate order. Only now, when Black leaders attempt to do a similar action (without the quid pro quo of wealthy business owners), then all of a sudden we are being racist?

White pride (different than Black pride), is why I harbor such a pessimistic view in terms of Africans in amerikkka' working within the very political system that wanted to annihilate us from the face of this earth. How can we win playing within a corrupt system that was not designed to favor our existence?

blksoul_atcha!
We are the ones we have been waiting for!

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 589
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

we could always shoot her

Not the winner of the Best Idea of 2009 award.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1614
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correct, Downtown, but the frustration is completely understandable. I really wish her husband would rein her in. I realize in today's society, a woman doesn't have to follow what her "man" says. But, a caring spouse would step in and offer some advice. Were I to act the way MC is acting, betterhalf would be stepping in and ask me to really think about what I was doing (and saying).

Think of her children. You cannot tell me Mr. Conyers approves of her behaviors.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 3741
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sadly, Detroit's only hope may be its poor voter turnout.

As another poster pointed out, the "black v. white" racism seems to play pretty well in Detroit, which is why you end up with people like KK and MC.

But Detroit has also elected candidates who reject the "us v. them" angle and preach regionalism, like Archer. However, when Archer won, he did it without carrying the black vote.

Detroit's poor voter turnout saved it in the 1990s from the likes of Sharon McPhail and Ed Vaughn...perhaps poor voter turnout will save the city again from the likes of MC.

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 373
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is an election. Vote in it. Don't vote for her. Campaign for and vote for other candidates who have a chance to win a seat and will oppose her agenda.

But have no doubt that she will be reelected, if only because she carries the magic name "Conyers" (thanks a lot John...) and has been in the news a lot, which only increases her recognition. The game is to keep her well down the list and decrease the number of her allies, and for goodness sake keep her out of first place!

As for the black vs. white racism, think of it as part of the price for 300 years of much much worse white vs. black racism in this country, and 100+ years of it in this city and our suburbs.

Downtown_lady

Post Number: 590
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, Lodgedodger, I feel the same frustration, yet all the frustration in the world couldn't cause me to want to shoot her.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1221
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"we could always shoot her.

is that illegal to say (type) outloud?"

Probably not. You might want to add on a Ha ha, I was only kidding.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 981
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bullets...

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1272
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Campaign for and vote for other candidates who have a chance to win a seat and will oppose her agenda.

Like who? Is anyone good running? I haven't heard anything about any of the candidates. Maybe I just live in a box.

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 374
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are about 400 people who've applied for their petitions to run. Gotta be a good one or two in there somewhere.

Bearinabox

Post Number: 1274
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, but how do you figure out which ones? As important as this is, I don't have time to get to know 400 people and their platforms before the election, let alone in enough time to make much of an impact through donations and volunteering.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 730
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad this thread was created because it and all of the respondents perfectly illustrate the problem. We want rid of Monica Conyers, but who do we replace her with? This thread has over 20 replies thus far and I expect plenty more. A thread that highlights a quality candidate for City Council is lucky to get 10 replies. In order to get rid of MonCon she must be replaced by someone. I've yet to see a single serious suggestion of who.

quote:

Originally posted by Eastsideal:

As for the black vs. white racism, think of it as part of the price for 300 years of much much worse white vs. black racism in this country, and 100+ years of it in this city and our suburbs.

That's not fair. Just because someone repeatedly hits you doesn't mean you ever have the right to hit them back.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1243
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our esteemed City Council President:

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dp p/news/Conyers_House_Tour_Part _4

Bearinabox

Post Number: 1275
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

In order to get rid of MonCon she must be replaced by someone. I've yet to see a single serious suggestion of who.

Exactly.

Downtown_lady

Post Number: 591
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about Gary Brown? There's a serious suggestion for you.

Downtown_lady

Post Number: 592
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

posted by Eastsideal:

quote:

posted by Crumbled Pavement:
That's not fair. Just because someone repeatedly hits you doesn't mean you ever have the right to hit them back.

CP, I don't think Eastsideal is saying that the history of racism against blacks justifies racism against whites, but rather perhaps explains why it may exist.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 731
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Originally posted by Downtown_lady:

CP, I don't think Eastsideal is saying that the history of racism against blacks justifies racism against whites, but rather perhaps explains why it may exist.

And I'm saying people don't understand why it exists because they think it was no big deal.

quote:

Originally posted by Downtown_lady:

What about Gary Brown? There's a serious suggestion for you.

Create the thread and let's debate the good and bad of electing him to council. The "let's not re-elect" Monica Conyers campaign won't be successful, without someone better to replace her with.