Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Barbara Rose Collins: What the....??? » Archive through March 06, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1279
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

dispersing what is left of Detroit's populus into vacancies around the region (and subsequently letting Detroit go back to nature) would be more resource efficient that trying to return Detroit to something of a functional state.

Problem with that is, then suburbanites actually have to deal with all the social problems they've been shunting off on Detroit for the last couple decades, and they won't do it. They'll move twenty miles further out and start over, and in another couple decades you've got another 300 square miles that's so dysfunctional you "let it return to nature," and so it continues. Eventually, "Metro Detroit" will stretch along the shoreline from Benton Harbor to Alpena, and the interior of the state will be completely covered in decaying abandoned infrastructure. That is, assuming there's anyone left here by then, because that'd be a pretty shitty place to live even if there were any jobs to be had.

Dcmorrison12
Username: Dcmorrison12

Post Number: 57
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bear in a box - I'm not sure if you meant this... but your statement is giving the impression that the whites of southeastern Michigan do not like the Blacks of Detroit. I'm hoping this wasn't an intentional racist comment? I get enough of this stuff from living in Southeastern Michigan

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5997
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just saw on WDIV where BRC was accusing the media of calling the council 'Monkey's in the zoo' and when she was called on it, she said it was really L. Brooks who said it. When asked when that was she said during zoo debacle three years ago. Nice that she's so accurate and current with her rhetoric.
I do like that Brooks said he doesn't want the zoo, or the DIA, but he would like the Fist and BRC's tiara.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 627
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here goes.

There is nothing wrong with Detroit.

It's the people who run it and a majority who live in it that are the problem.

The problems exist only to a very few living in the city and many of us living far enough outside of the city to have a clear view of what is going on.

Too many people living in the city just don't know any better. They grew up with it. They have never see or heard anything else.

They don't expect police to show up quick, they don't think they need a good education, they don't expect trash to be picked up, they don't pick up litter, they don't expect anything. It just is.

Of course nobody expects the mayor and city council to stand up and take responsibility for their actions.

Instead the council takes the easy way out and blames others.

"Do you know why you are in the situation you are in? Because white people have been holding us back."

Never mind that blacks have been running the city for almost 40 years.

K.K. said that there was nobody to blame anymore it in a speech a few years ago and it was one of the only truths he spoke.

I just don't know what to do anymore.

What she did was one of the most race baiting things I have seen from a politician in Detroit and that is saying something.

When was the last time she looked around? Detroit needs all of the help it can get. If the city council doesn't want it then fuck em.

Let Cobo rot like the rest of the city.

Maybe all of the suburban volunteers who work so hard to help make the city a better place everyday should focus their efforts elsewhere.

People need help everywhere and they could all save on gas by helping people close to their homes.

Detroit needs to wake up and clean house this November (except for Kenyatta) or it deserves whatever comes to it.

Stosh
Username: Stosh

Post Number: 94
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I liked the tiara and fist comment, even though LBP is a tool.

The second video of Barbara Rose's rant above in this post, did anyone notice that her sweater was inside out? Look at about 1:45 in the second video.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 628
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Bear in a box - I'm not sure if you meant this... but your statement is giving the impression that the whites of southeastern Michigan do not like the Blacks of Detroit. I'm hoping this wasn't an intentional racist comment? I get enough of this stuff from living in Southeastern Michigan"

How could anyone in the suburbs feel that way when suburbanites (whites) are welcomed so obviously with huge open arms by the citys leaders (blacks)?

If they saw a meeting like that in the suburbs the NAACP would be picketing outside of the next one.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 818
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Problem with that is, then suburbanites actually have to deal with all the social problems they've been shunting off on Detroit for the last couple decades, and they won't do it.

What would you have them do?

Bearinabox

Post Number: 1280
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Bear in a box - I'm not sure if you meant this... but your statement is giving the impression that the whites of southeastern Michigan do not like the Blacks of Detroit. I'm hoping this wasn't an intentional racist comment? I get enough of this stuff from living in Southeastern Michigan

What I said was "social problems." Black people are not a social problem, unless you're, well, a racist. What I was referring to are things like poverty, crime, homelessness, mental illness, demand for government assistance, that sort of thing. Detroit bears a disproportionate amount of the metro area's burden when it comes to things like that, and that's one of the main reasons the suburbs are able to function as well as they are. If that burden were equally distributed across every community in the metro area, places like Detroit and Highland Park would have it much easier, and places like Bloomfield Hills and Macomb Township would have it much harder. People who, in the past, have never had to deal with those kinds of issues would not welcome having them suddenly forced upon them by virtue of Detroit being emptied out. Their solution, if the past is any indication, would be to move somewhere that doesn't have to deal with those problems. That clear things up for you at all, or am I still a racist?

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 1196
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I now am officially for a large convention center in Oakland County to steal away the NAIAS from Detroit."

You and what money?

Bearinabox

Post Number: 1281
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What would you have them do?

Ideally, I would have everyone in the region, no matter where they live or what color they are, recognize that these problems are problems of the region, not of one specific municipality, race, or social class. I would then have us all put our heads together and try to come up with ways to address these problems that involve everyone accepting some responsibility and agreeing to be part of the solution.
Realistically? Fuck if I know. :-)

Zimm
Username: Zimm

Post Number: 113
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Realistically? Fuck if I know. :-)"

Belle Isle: SE Michigan's Australia

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 2078
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ribbon farms...so that all farmers had access to what?"

"Black bottom!"

"The riv...black bottom!"

Hahahahaha. Black bottom in the 1700s?

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4226
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the thoughtful and perceptive posts, Bear. Really. Sometimes, it's lacking, here.

Bearinabox

Post Number: 1282
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, apparently some guy named "Mahatma Gandas" is a great man today because he initiated non-violence.

That video would be pure comedy gold if this lunatic weren't in charge of my city.

Bearinabox

Post Number: 1283
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Thanks for the thoughtful and perceptive posts, Bear. Really. Sometimes, it's lacking, here.

So I'm not a racist? :-)

Salvadordelmundo
Username: Salvadordelmundo

Post Number: 143
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fundamentally, it's up to the voters of the city of Detroit. All of these are duly-elected public officials. They are the candidates the people want.

Nickstone
Username: Nickstone

Post Number: 64
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dear god....

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 283
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 2:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope that video gets international exposure. I really hope that lots of people from all over see it. Maybe if we're laughing stock of the world enough times, people will come to their senses around here.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 964
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And I thought my post were bizzare.Can't wait till Saturday when 'Onward Christian Soldiers' isn't the opening theme of the news.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 423
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 6:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

East_Detroit

A healthy Detroit = A healthy Southeastern Michigan

A poor Detroit = an unsuccessful Southeastern Michigan.

I doesn't matter what out of staters think of us..

Our economies are interconnected and so is our success, THAT'S what's important.

Actually, I disagree. Much of the suburban region - Oakland County in particular, have gained in strength and largely separated themselves from the city-proper. If it weren't for a desire by some to see a strong urban core (particularily by corporations such as GM, Compuware and Comerica), Detroit would be mostly economically irrelevant by now. I used to think otherwise, but as this circus progresses, I'm starting to wonder why we all care. Detroit presents an image to the rest of the country - but economically, I don't think it matters to the region as much as you'd like to think.

My city, Livonia, has one of the most boring, un-corrupt, competant governments around, and I'm sure as heck not complaining.

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 299
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 7:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and the beat goes on

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 2026
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 7:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kinda ironic when most people responding with outrage to BRC's idiocy do so with their own form of "them vs us."

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 1198
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 7:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Much of the suburban region - Oakland County in particular, have gained in strength and largely separated themselves from the city-proper."

I can only think of a handful of places in the country that exist as suburban islands. I know that some people have this fantasy that the suburbs can raise the drawbridge and leave Detroit and its residents to rot and we'll be unaffected. That kind of thinking is as delusional as the kind that goes on at the Detroit City Council.

Baselinepunk
Username: Baselinepunk

Post Number: 134
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Popcorn sales in this area must be threw the roof! lol.

What the HELL was all THAT!?! My favorite was Monica prompting BRC during her rant. Obviously, Monica is puppet mastering some on council. Perhaps BRC had an unfortunate case of "drug interaction". Perhaps ... lol.

Personally, I'm sick and tired of being called a racist just because I happen to not live in the city proper, etc. The citizenry of my fair city just to the north is (not as much as before, but Spring is just around the corner) has been invaded by the ... ahem ... people from BAMN. Some of you may remember these ... ahem ... folks as the stark raving mad table flippers who used to perform at the DPS meetings a while back. This theater troupe has gotten old real around here quick and there is a ground swelling that's about to erupt in a cross between "check your fucking facts before you race-bait" and "get the fuck out of here". Should be quite the ta do. lol.

I spend a great deal of money in the city between school, entertainment and just plain old fartin` around. I'll continue to do so in spite of the circus in town. These ... ahem ... people on council are not a true reflection of the people who are Detroiters and I refuse to allow ... ahem ... people like be empowered for poor behavior.

Personally, I think race-baiting should be treated on the same level as racism. Actually, there seems to be a little commonality between the two. Perhaps the general citizenry around here should be calling people who race-bait on the mat, by simple calling them what they are: race-baiters.

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 357
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wazooty...i know where you're coming from, but it's wrong to think that oakland co or livonia have serious long term viability without a healthy core (isn't that what they drill into our heads at 3AM on those infomercials?)

it's in everybody's self interest to have detroit working. as much as we may *want* to believe that what happens in detroit stays in detroit or prop ourselves on the ridiculously parochial horse and buggy theory of home rule, the suburbs are inextricably linked to and impacted by the sinking fortunes of our region's heart... thinking otherwise is some serious head in the sand activity.

it's one of detroit's great tragedies that we play out our politics on the field of race baited black v. white (brooksie can be just as bad and here should've taken the high road by offering "no comment"). it would be so much productive if it were just stupid vs. smart or even rich vs. poor.

"onward christian soldiers!"

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1742
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

where was tinsley-talabi in all of this?

either she truly voted her conscious and didn't want to take part in the spectacle last night, or she truely regretted her vote.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4543
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit reminds me the Springfield, USA. Home of the Simpson's.

They all should be recalled! Detroiters are sick and tired of them playing race cards. The whole city "CLOWNSIL" don't deserve to be leaders of our city. Detroit can't survive without regionalization. Let's tell Granholm to put this city under receivership so regionalization could get a boost.

In the movie Star Wars Episode 3, Revenge of the Sith, Senator Padme sat in anger in the galactic senate as the most of the senators stand and clapped their hands for Senator Papaltine (A.K.A. Darth Sidious) to oversee emergency powers. Senator Padme quoted, "SO THIS IS HOW LIBERTY DIES, WITH A THUNDEROUS APPLAUSE!"

This is equivalent to city council meeting, this is how regionalization in Detroit dies, with councilwoman Barbara Rose-Collins singing Onward Christian Soldiers!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9557
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I want Barbara Rose-Collins' Tiara and the fist.

I lol'd.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1257
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LBP said, "then I'm done, that's all I'll be raiding from above 8 Mile Road."

I think the only rational response to that march of the Council Ladies is humor.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 3756
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

she was only speaking the truth, and speaking it fiercely