Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Article About Detroit - Rolling Stone Magazine « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tkierpiec
Username: Tkierpiec

Post Number: 181
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't seen this mentioned here - I looked first so that I don't duplicate an existing thread, sorry if I missed it.

This article was in Rolling Stone magazine last week. Here is the link to read it online:

http://www.rollingstone.com/ne ws/story/26217951/motor_city_b reakdown

Thought some of you may be interested in reading it.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 533
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kind of depressing but true.

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 300
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

blah blah blah

people mover sucks

blah blah blah

abandoned buildings

blah blah blah

icy winds

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 675
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeez, when the media gets it's jaws clamped onto something, they won't let go. No wonder Brian Williams asked for good news. I'm sure there's plenty of positive stories in Detroit; but not sensational enough to make money.

The greats never read their bad reviews. Why should we?

Detroit_expat
Username: Detroit_expat

Post Number: 92
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The greats never read their bad reviews. Why should we?

Because Detroit ain't great -- not even close. A little shame would go a long way in Detroit. Especially for City Council.

"Say Nice Things About Detroit" never worked, and it's not going to. The time for happy words and "lifting Detroit in prayer" is over. It's time to do some work. Or not, and let the shame continue.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5385
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone who tries to impose "shame" on others holds no water.

Notice that the article's author is an ex-pat from St. Clair Shores.

Begone before a house falls on you, too!

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 1146
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We can still pray and do some work! :-)

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3848
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because Detroit ain't great -- not even close. A little shame would go a long way in Detroit. Especially for City Council.

There ain't many cities on the planet, and certainly no others in the state of Michigan, that have the notoriety of Detroit. I'd say that is pretty great.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2926
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read that article and it was very depressing. That writer put a negative outlook on absolutely everything. To him, even the electric car exhibit was depressing and foreboding. It was like reading Wuthering Heights or some other gloomy gothic novel. All we need is a desperate heroine to be rescued by that macho Ford truck model he talked about.

Purpleheart
Username: Purpleheart

Post Number: 72
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny about the author who is self described as growing up in the 80's and writes for "Rolling Stone" he can’t think of anything in his childhood except “White Flight?”

Never was around when J. Giels proclaimed in the Cinderella Ballroom... “Motor City Breakdown.” Or When Edgar Winter and Johnnie Winter almost brought down the Masonic Temple roof. How about the almost weekly performances of greats like Seger, Procal Harem, and yes even the many concerts of "The Rolling Stones when they played Cobo the cops blocked off the entrance in front using the Ponch as the corner block on account of the many thousands who would show up with no tickets and would demand to get in.

How about the yearly "New Years Eve- Whiplash Bash by the Motor City madman himself Ted Nugent. And not to mention the numerous make shift concerts in any of the many parking lots on Belle Isle in the summertime. One could drive from one lot to the next and stay for a while and if they didn't like the music there move on to another.

Well I was there in 1972 when J. Giels proclaimed "Motor City Breakdown" and it wasn't because anything was breaking down, it was a reference to the concert a few months ago when the Winters Brothers almost brought down the Masonic. I was there too! In fact for everything outlined above I was present and accounted for. Because this was my city of which I was proud to have been her son.

I was gigging at the old J. C.'s Rock Salon when Mick and company stopped (after one of their sold out nights at Cobo) in to hear a set by Mitch Rider and The Detroit Wheels. We were the first group that night and spotted the Wheels our equipment and when Mick and a few of the Stones wanted to play a set for Detroit personally all in attendance were shocked.

So there are many more stories to tell about Detroit but the powers that be continue to ride the "smear train." Which I guess is easier to write than do some original research and put something good down. It is always easy to play to the crowd and during this time the crowd is shouting and putting their thumbs down on us.

We'll it's all a bunch of trash and we don't have to take it anymore! Speak up Detroit, because nobody else is going to do it! We have to do it!

Dutch

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 221
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"When I moved away and bought a used Corolla,"

I think he discredits himself right here. If you grew up in Detroit you know not to buy a foreign car, even if it is used. He does not have the right understanding of the auto industry because his family wasn't connected to it. My family was, the auto industry put food on my table, clothes on back, a roof over my head, and through 4 years of college. He doesn't get it.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 557
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I haven't seen this mentioned here"

uhhhh, yeah. Let's not mention it again :-)

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 386
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 2:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be the difference maker and appreciate your post -- good, non-bullshit read. Thanks.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1293
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 6:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The city used to have an extensive trolley system, but it was purchased by National City Lines, a front company formed by GM, Firestone, Standard Oil and other corporations with automobile interests, after which the trolley tracks were ripped up and replaced with buses.

I wonder what else he got wrong.

Cpalk
Username: Cpalk

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"eventually shifting to fighter jets during World War II"....fighter jets???? in WWII???

The German Luftwaffe used "jet" technology at end of WWII. But the US didn't even begin producing jet powered aircraft until after the war, and the F-86 Sabre didn't see action until Korea.

Mr. Binelli needs to mix in a history class.

Tkierpiec

Post Number: 183
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, Ggores. I'll be sure to only post links to positive fluff pieces from now on. I didn't give any opinion about the writer's perspective, by the way. I don't agree with him at all. However, I do like to read anything and everything that is written about Detroit. Good & bad. I find it interesting how others perceive us, even those who are supposed to BE us, or were at one point.

Bearinabox

Post Number: 1296
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't speak for Ggores, but this article is one of twenty million near-identical "look what a mess Detroit is" articles, in which the author, in his/her eagerness to sell more magazines/newspapers/online ad space by sensationalizing our plight, can't even be bothered to get the facts straight. I don't see why it is useful, or necessary, to plow through every one of these that comes out, or to endlessly dissect them and bitch and moan about how everybody hates us. Those of us who live here know exactly how bad it is, and how bad it isn't. Descriptions of things like the Packard plant and MCS might be of interest to people who have never been here, but not to those of us who see them in person every day of our lives. We already know what they look like.

If you enjoy reading articles like this, for whatever reason, that is up to you. If you want to post them here, for whatever reason, that is also up to you. However, I don't think accusing Ggores of only wanting to see "positive fluff pieces" is necessarily warranted.

Tkierpiec

Post Number: 184
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't say I enjoyed reading the article. I like to read everything I find written about Detroit. Not everything written is enjoyable, obviously. I was simply sharing a link. Those who wish to read it, fine. Those who don't, fine. Those who want to bitch about it one way or another, that's fine, too, I suppose. Carry on.

Bearinabox

Post Number: 1298
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Those who want to bitch about it one way or another, that's fine, too, I suppose.

Much appreciated. As long as nobody infringes on my right to bitch, I'm happy. :-)

Exwarrendaler
Username: Exwarrendaler

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hold on to all of your great memories, I have mine too, but those days are long gone. Nothing will change until we decide to change it.

Purpleheart
Username: Purpleheart

Post Number: 74
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The point I was trying to make was not about memories, it was about "Rolling Stone" a supposed rock journalistic rag attempting to report on those things which they no idea.

One of my other pet pev's is the so called "Rolling Stone" reporter who was imbedded with my former unit in the latest invasion of Iraq. His fantasy piece wound up being the script of "Generation Kill" an awful look into the lives of our young men in this battle, an HBO original movie (series.)

It was not only wrong in almost every component but sensationalized fictional aspects of certain stereotypes the general population has with our armed forces. Believe me I know almost every team in 1st Force Recon because I either trained them or fought with them, officer and enlisted alike.

So when I mentioned my personal history with Detroit, and it's rock and roll roots, it was an attempt to show that even in this publications specialty they can't even get that right!

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 558
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

aw, Tkierpierc, I wasn't doggin' you, just being a little toungue-in-cheek. Further explanations will come up whenever I'm not busting my tail 12 hours a day and am a bit winded by the time I get around to writing posts here.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.